Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vertigo22

Jimmy Stewart, Anyone?

Yeah, I'm sure there has been a thread devoted to Stewart in the past, but I'm just too lazy to go fishin' for it! Well, who loves Jimmy Stewart, perhaps the most likeable leading man in Hollywood history? Ever since seeing him in Rear Window, one of my favorite films, and one of Stweart's best performances, I've been a die-hard fan. I hope to get his new biography for Xmas. A few days ago, I caught a film of his on AMC, called Take Her, She's Mine. I had never previously seen it, and was laughing hysterically through-out. Seeing him in a film like this, and then switching over to some of his more complex work, such as It's A Wonderful Life, Vertigo and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, it is clear, atleast to me, that filmmakers didn't have to write films that catered one of his certain sensibilities. He truly was a great actor. One of the absolute best, in my opinion.

Now, who's with me?

Jimmy Stewart's a dear personality. I'll always remember how bowled over I was as a kid to see him in Mr. Smith Goes to Washington--because to me he was this kindly grey-haired guy on a Sunday evening sitcom.

I definitely agree he was one of the best actors ever, and very versatile. Did you see his interview on Directed by John Ford? He was a marvelous raconteur, too. I remember hazily his stories on Johnny Carson.

My favorite Stewart movies: The Far Country, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Shop Around the Corner, Vertigo, Rear Window, The Man from Laramie, Winchester '73, The Naked Spur, Broken Arrow, Shenandoah, You Can't Take it With You, Made for Each Other, The Philadelphia Story, Harvey, Two Rode Together and Liberty Valance.

Miss G

I got his biography for my birthday and also a book about his war career as a pilot. (That's the one I just started.) Not only was he a great star but he seems a genuinely likeable guy. Maureen O'Hara, in her autobiography, does tell a story about him when they were working on "The Rare Breed" where he had some changes made to a scene where it looked like she had a chance to out-shine him.

On the DVD of "Winchester '73" he is interviewed throughout the film as a "commentary" feature. The early part is interesting (I haven't been able to get time to go all the way through it.)

One of my favorites. Only a handful of movies I haven't seen.

> it is clear, atleast to me, that

> filmmakers didn't have to write films that catered

> one of his certain sensibilities. He truly was a

> great actor. One of the absolute best, in my opinion.

>

>

> Now, who's with me?

I'm with you! My favorite James Stewart movie is "The Spirit of St. Louis". He was on screen alone for almost half the movie in his airplane and had you on the edge of your seat with his portrayal of Charles Lindbergh. I saw it as a child in the movie and was yelling for him to wake up when he was falling asleep. My friends thought it was funny and the rest of the day were yelling at me to wake up. I learned to appreciate Mr. Stewart even more as I grew older. He had a flair for comedy, dramatic movies, westerns, you name it he was the perfect actor. He is in my top 5 favorite actors.

I love Jimmy Stewart. Besides Wonderful Life, one of my other favorites is Two Rode Together. Last week I bought a $1.00 DVD at Dollar Tree which said 'starring James Stewart and Paulette Goddard' and figured for a buck, he probably had a bit part, but to my surprise, he WAS the star. It's not the best movie technically, but the story was really cute, in fact I was surprised Paulette's part was rather small, supporting, more than starring. It was called Pot O' Gold, and worth all 100 pennies.

Anne

Anyone read the new biography yet? Movieman? Anyone? If anyone has gotten far enough into it to voice an opinion, please share. I will probably get it but haven't decided.

I saw it at Barnes and Noble but didn't purchase it. Anyone read "Audrey Hepburn Treasures"? Mrsl, I also saw "Pot Of Gold" for a buck but didn't get it. If it's good, I'll check it out.

MrsL - I'm with you -- I'll watch a movie I've never seen before if Jimmy Stewart is in the cast. They're always worth taking a chance on. There are actually very few Paulette Goddard movies that I've had a chance to see yet.

I'd never heard of Pot O' Gold before.

Julie

I love Jimmy Stewart!

It's A Wonderful Life is my all time favorite.

Harvey is my next. I don't think I have ever seen a movie of his that I never liked.

He played a bad guy in After The Thin Man he was very good at that.

He was just kind of guy I would've like to have met.

Have you ever seen Made For Each Other with Carole Lombard.They were great in that movie had me crying.If you never have You should that is one of their best performances.Mr. Stewart is one of a kind.

Christine

Mrs.I have never seen A Pot Of Gold. I have to go the dollar tree and see if I can Find it. They have some good DVD's for 100 pennies I have gotten Sherlock Holmes and Burns and Allen along With Ozzie and Harriette .Thanks for the head up on That movie.

Christine

Mmmm, I love Jimmy Stewart! He's right near the top of my list of favorite actors. I enjoy every single film he is in, and whenever I watch a movie with him in it that I haven't seen yet, I know it's going to be good. My favorite movie of his is It's a Wonderful Life, closely followed by Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and Rear Window.

He really was such an amazing actor, and his performances were some of the best ever to grace the silver screen.

This is a pretty long thread, and I won't add anything, just my two cents that says "You can't say enough about Jimmy Stewart - Fabulous actor, good husband and father, and seems like a good all-around person.

Anne

My fondest memory of him was his surprise guest appearance on the Carol Burnett show. I believe Stewart was one of Carol's favorite actors and she had never met him. during one of her shows, (someone from the audience asked her a question about her favorite actor, which of course is Jimmy Stewart) someone behind the curtain started playing the piano. when the curtain opens, there's Jimmy Stewart. What a pleasant surprise!

also loved him in the Man who Knew Too Much, Mortal Storm , Harvey and Winchester 73 among all his others.

I would love to see Jimmy Stewart's appearance on the Carol Burnett show! I wonder if that's available anywhere.

The thing I love about Jimmy Stewart is that he seems completely trustworthy, likable, dependable and all that good-guy stuff, yet there is a dark side that one gets a glimpse of once in a while. It's not an evil, malicious dark side, but more like a despairing, desperate, questioning, self-loathing dark side. It makes him human and that's why I love him. It's evident in his performances in Vertigo, It's a Wonderful Life, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

Sandy K

Message was edited by: me because sometimes I leave words out of sentences for no reason

sandykaypax

>

> The thing I love about Jimmy Stewart is that he seems

> completely trustworthy, likable, dependable and all

> that good-guy stuff, yet there is a dark side that

> one gets a glimpse of once in a while. It's not an

> evil, malicious dark side, but more like a

> despairing, desperate, questioning, self-loathing

> dark side. It makes him human and that's why I love

> him. It's evident in his performances in

> Vertigo, It's a Wonderful Life, Mr.

> Smith Goes to Washington.

Wow, what a great analysis, Sandy! I never really thought about him that way, but it is just the right description.

I loved No Highway in the Sky, which I watched last night. Jimmy invested his scientist character with all the perfect nuances imaginable. The acting was perfect. Everyone (Jimmy, Marlene Dietrich ...) turned what could have been banal strings of dialogue into tension-filled drama. Ending seemed a bit rushed, which is the only reason it gets three and half forks in my column instead of four ...

Gee, I wish TCM would air NO HIGHWAY IN THE SKY because it's been years since I saw it. I remember that it was terrific and I'd love to get it recorded.

(Now if you tell me you saw it on TCM I may just go out and shoot myself for missing it!!!)

Miss G

No, unfortunately I had to watch it on A(lways) M(ore) C(ommercials). So you're probably better off waiting for TCM to show it. It could definitely have used some insightful commentary from RO. :D

Lol! I love that name for AMC. So true! :)

Everyone: Jimmy Stewart will be honored by the Post Office with his own commemorative stamp next year. Further information about it and Jimmy's life, career and museum (!) are in the following article:

www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_482672.html