Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hayleyperrin

What is your favorite Christmas musical?

White Christmas is sweet, but on the whole I prefer Holiday Inn. It's a little sharper in its humor and I like the interactions between Crosby and Astaire better.

I thought Danny Kaye did a great job dancing in White Christmas and I love Vera-Ellen, but the most fabulous romantic dance between the two movies is "Be Careful, It's My Heart." And I just like the 1940s Bing better.

I understand that Paramount originally wanted to re-team Crosby and Astaire in White Christmas. Watching it last weekend, I wondered whether the character played by Kaye would have been so terrified of Vera-Ellen's flirtation/proposal if Astaire had played it.

I believe my favorite Christmas musical would have to be Albert Finney's "Scrooge."

I love the lyrics to the beautiful songs and... I'll admit it... I'm a Scroogeaphile. Almost any version of Dicken's Christmas classic will draw my attention - even Kelsey Grammer's horrendous attempt.

I like Holiday Inn better than White Christmas, but I still rate Scrooge higher.

CharlieT

Hey, Charlie, I'm in a stage version of the musical Scrooge right now. The best song in the show is Thank You Very Much! My sister took me to see the film when I was 5 and it scared the bejusus out of me!

My favorite Christmas musical? Why do I have to pick just one? Can't do it.

Sandy K

Hey, Sandy. What role are you playing? Or are you a member of the chorus? "Thank You Very Much" is one of my favorites, too. So are "I Hate People" and "Christmas Is For Children" (I think that's the title of the song Bob Cratchit sings to his kids while buying Christmas fixin's.)

I also enjoyed the scenes with Marley in Hell. Alec Guiness is so gleeful that Scrooge is getting his just desserts. I know this didn't happen in the original story, but it is still fun.

CharlieT

Oh, and I forgot to mention "I Like Life" as one of my favorite songs from the film. And according to IMDb, it's "Christmas Children."

CharlieT

Hey Charlie, that Bob Cratchit song is called "Christmas Children." It is a very pretty song. I play Mrs. Fezziwig in the Christmas past sequence and Mrs. Dilber in the present sequences--she is one of the vendors that owes Scrooge money and essentially a glorified chorus part. I am also one of the phantoms that hang out with Marley's ghost. It's really fun to be in a stage version of one of my favorite stories by Dickens.

Sandy K

I would say Scrooge is my favorite also. My favorite song from Scrooge is Happiness is whatever you want it to be

Although neither are technically Xmas musicals, I love MEET ME IN ST LOUIS and HOLIDAY INN. I finally saw WHTIE CHRISTMAS recently and was rather disappointed, much preferring the earlier incarnation. While I enjoyed the dancing of Vera Ellen and some of the other numbers, the plot seemed needlessly convoluted -- all that secrecy about the general and misunderstandings -- and that finale was pretty anti-climatic. Are those ballerinas supposed to be amateurish? HOLIDAY INN seems tighter in structure -- with the holidays giving the plot a direction and the musical numbers more memorable.

Ayres said:

I understand that Paramount originally wanted to re-team Crosby and Astaire in White Christmas. Watching it last weekend, I wondered whether the character played by Kaye would have been so terrified of Vera-Ellen's flirtation/proposal if Astaire had played it.

Me too. Would have loved to see Astaire play Kaye's part... To see what he would have done with it. Kaye was good, but not wild about him like Astaire. Just a personal preference I guess. Like I said in one of these other threads (I can't keep up with these Christmas ones!) Donald O'Connor would have played the part best... IMHO.

Mine is, without a doubt, HOLIDAY INN. It is so funny and has some really great musical numbers in it. I really love the French dance scene where Astaire is trying to kiss Bing's girl, and Bing jazzes it up and slows it down just as Astaire goes in for a move. LOL So funny. Then you have to love the maid, Hattie McDaniel. "Is yo name's Mamie"? I love that line.

yanknrebel

I think my favorite Christmas musical is probably White Christmas. Vera Ellen is one of the most amazing dancers I've ever seen, and I thoroughly enjoyed every scene she was in. I actually haven't seen Holiday Inn, but it sounds excellent from what everyone is saying. I wish TCM would show it (so far I've only seen it shown on nasty AMC).

I requested them to play it before the holidays, but no luck. I had to just go out and buy it... The dvd has some good features on it, but nothing really special.

If I may respectfully offer a correction, it is Louise Beavers (rather than Hattie) who plays Bing's housekeeper Mamie. I have always loved her little speech on Thanksgiving, telling him to get a spine and then go reclaim his girl!

Beavers.jpg

Well thank you for that correction. :) Sorry bout that. She was a very good actress and a delight in this film.

As well, I loved the balck face act. I find nothing offensive about it, but then again, I am caucasian.

yanknrebel

BHF,

There are a number of movies that feature blackface musical numbers and sadly, it is often those numbers that keep the films sitting in the vaults, as they say, as we grapple with our past as we move forward.

I hope that TCM's Race in Film series from last May was successful and I pray that if it was it might encourage them to tackle other sensitive subjects such as the one we are talking about.

Put in its historical context via its roots and how and why it became such a popular act might take some of the modern onus off of watching these films, some of which have not been seen in many years.