Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

tiny film moments

cee

on the way to work today i thought of a tiny film moment that i have enjoyed for decades, every single time i see it: in "some like it hot" when the guys are looking for jobs in the musicians' agents' building & they quickly open various office doors & say "anything today?", one of the secretaries sitting at her desk is in mid-sip, drinking from a glass coca-cola bottle, with her 1920's hairdo & her white blouse, & she pauses to say "nothing!" & goes back to her drink--it's a moment frozen in time--it looks like a coca-cola ad for crying out loud--it's wonderful! do you know what i mean? do you agree/disagree? do you have any tiny moments of your own to share?

One of my favorite moments is in "The African Queen" when Charlie (Bogart) hugs Rosie(Hepburn) kneeing from behind (after they realize they love each other) Just the look on Bogart's face always brings a smile to my face when I think about it. No matter where.

vallo

I like the scene in "Marty" where Ernest Borgnine is walking the girl he just met at the dancehall home, and is so pleased and excited to have found a nice girl that he can't stop talking. At one point, he starts reciting some of the German words he learned in high school, and says "I can't stop my mouth!" It's very sweet, and very real, as is that entire movie.

I know it's a newer film but when Matt Dillon hands his winnings from Richard Crenna ( Who cheated in the gin card game) to his friend and fellow co-worker "Magic" and tells him to "Stay away from Yonkers Race Track" was a special moment for me. Because like Dillon said to Crenna "You don't screw your friends Mr. Brody."

I love the moment in Now, Voyager where Bette Davis is being hugged by Jerry and she says "No one's ever called me darling before". That gets me every time. Also, later on when she's holding Jerry's daughter is very sweet.

This is probably more than a moment, but I love it when Maureen O'Hara is serenaded in Rio Grande. Those are moments to be treasured.

It's totally cool in Gaslight when Ingrid Bergman is telling off her husband while he's tied up.

My favorite moment is from the movie "A Christmas Story." When Ralphie and Randy are safely tucked in bed on Christmas Eve and Mom and The Old Man are sitting in the darkened living room listening to Silent Night on the radio with the only lights in the room coming from the tree and snow falling outside the window.

CharlieT

There's a moment in Bringing Up Baby where you finally see Cary Grant without his glasses on. He bends down and is trying to explain something to Katherine Hepburn's character, while she keeps commenting on how cute he looks without them. I love when at that moment they get a close up of him, and you just have to agree with her!

I have many from My Man Godfrey: I love seeing Godfrey in the beginning with his stubble. When he comes in that morning and he's all cleaned up, I love that Lombard's character reacts "...what happened to those nice whiskers?" Again, I agree :) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

mymangodfrey9.jpg

I was talking about Holiday Inn in one of the many Christmas movie threads, but if you don't mind I'll bring it up here as well. Bing Crosby often has this wonderful, throw-away delivery of comedic lines, and one of my favorites is on New Year's Day after his opening night at the Inn. Fred Astaire came in the night before and danced--while almost dead drunk--with Marjorie Reynolds, but his agent Walter Abel didn't get a good look at this great new potential partner. So Fred and Walter are asking Bing what she looked like (not realizing she's the girl he's interested in hiding from Fred). He says something like, "Well she has a sort of medium face and medium build...she was wearing a nice evening gown, with a bow in the back... she reminded me a lot of a girl I used to know... you wouldn't know her, her name was Consuela Schlepkiss and she used to play the pinball machine down at the corner drugstore. I remember one time she was high man three weeks in a row." Whereupon Walter Abel, staring at him, sort of dazedly says, "Thank you." And Bing says in a friendly tone, "It's--uh--nothing at all. Happy to do it for you."

Cracks me up every time.

Ah, "Marty"!!! My favorite (most moving) moment from that gem of a movie was when he failed to call the girl after promising to, having let his "buddy" talk him out of it, and she's left sitting on the sofa on a Saturday night watching TV with her aging parents, thinking "Is this my life for the rest of my life?"... You can just read the disappointment, sorrow, despair, and fear in her eyes... Yet another example, Jack, of great TV back in the day (I believe this was one of those "playhouses").

The moment of recognition, when Scout sees Arthur Radley behind the bedroom door, "Hey Boo..." in To Kill a Mockingbird. It's a moment of clarity among the chaos.

I always get a thrill while watching Terry Gilliam's Brazil, during the action scene that takes place in the lobby of the Information Retrieval. As storm troopers march on the stairs, a janitor is shot and his vacuum cleaner rolls down the steps. I'm always struck with a feeling of d?j? vu, and then I realize the scene is a reenactment of Sergei Eisenstein's silent masterpiece Броненосец Потёмкин ("Battleship Potemkin").

Speaking of My Man Godfrey.

My favorite moment is when Carlo is jumping around the room like an ape...and Godfrey walks into the room to serve drinks or something.

The look on William Powell's face is just CLASSIC! My favorite moment in the whole film! And he doesn't even SAY anything.

And my next favorite moment is when the father says, in a matter of fact sort of tone, something like "Life in this family is just one subpoena after another." *lol*

This is a great movie!

Discussing Mrs. Miniver in another thread reminds me of how much I liked the scene in the Minivers' bedroom right after Walter Pidgeon has come back from rescuing soldiers at Dunkirk. There is a moment when Greer Garson starts Walter's cigarette for him, lighting it in her own mouth before handing it to him. And then, as she's bent over the bed changing it, he slaps her **** with a slipper. (*giggles*) None of this is very politically correct today, I guess, but it worked for me ...

pktrekgirl:

Sorry to talk about this one soo much but it is my absolute favorite! I love the Carlo scene as well... And how he can't go any amount of time without eating. I love it when Godfrey tells the family he "...sold short" referring to his stocks on the market. The ditz mother replies, "I don't get you, you mean you sold gentlemen's underwear?"

But... Out of all the scenes in this movie my favorite is at the end, when Irene finally corners Godfrey in his office at "The Dump." "I can look after myself," he says. She replies "You can't look me in the eye and say that." His eyes glance away... Thus proving he really is in love with her. Perfect.

I noticed a tiny film moment today while watching "Airport" on TCM.

After the plane safely landed, a dazed Maureen Stapleton wandering through the crowd of passengers expressing her sorrow for the grief her husband had caused. It was heartbreaking.

I love the scene in Twelve O'Clock High where Hugh Marlowe is in the hospital bed. Gregory Peck comes to visit him & shows him respect for the first time. When he leaves he sort of turns his back to the camera & you see him wipe a tear away very quickly. It's subtle but it gets to me every time.

Another one Eddie Albert jumping off the tower in Captain Newman M.D. Also Albert in the scalding hot shower in the same movie with Tony Curtis trying to get him out. And of Course Bobby Darin under the influence of the drug to help him remember His friend getting his head blown off during an airplane mission. What a movie and what acting! Peck as usual superb in his portrayal as the doctor, an outstanding and underrated movie that isn't even out on DVD yet.

The scene near the end of Dinner at Eight where Billie Burke's cousin tries to give Marie Dressler back her lapdog. Dressler simply pats the dog on the head and goes right on.

Of course, that whole movie has a lot of great moments. Burke's hissy fit about having the worst possible day when her husband and daughter are about to tell her about their even worse days is a hoot -- Burke seems almost like a malfunctioning Stepford Wife. It wasn't until I saw the movie for about the third time that I figured out what else Burke's performance in that scene reminded me of -- I get the impression that's how Myrna Loy would have acted if she had been hepped up on speed. :-)