Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why do you hate Bette Davis?

LawrenceA

Why do I HATE Bette Davis you ask, Lawrence ol' boy???

It's those EYES of her's, THAT'S why!

Those suckers with TEASE you and then UNEASE you! And to say NOTHIN' about how she'll expose you while she snows you, and then'll throw you like you were dice.

(...nope, you just can't trust that sneaky woman with those eyes of hers...why, it sends a chill up my spine just THINKIN' about it!)

• Like 4

Oh, I detest her. One time, at a dinner party, she replaced some chocolates with ex-lax, gave them to Tor Johnson, and sarcastically announced to everyone "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night!"

...followed by "What a dump!"

• Like 8

My mother used to say, "I can't stand Bette Davis!" I never asked her why, but by the look on her face I could tell it was a serious issue with her, lol... It took me a while to get used to her (that is, Davis, and yes, sometimes even my mother), but now I like her.

• Like 2

My mother used to say, "I can't stand Bette Davis!" I never asked her why, but by the look on her face I could tell it was a serious issue with her, lol... It took me a while to get used to her (that is, Davis, and yes, sometimes even my mother), but now I like her.

I love Bette Davis.  Sorry Lawrence, I have to be lame and say the thing I hate about Bette Davis is how great she is.  I think that she elevates any film she's in despite how bad the film may be.  I will admit that I'm not the biggest fan of her performance as Elizabeth I in The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, and that's only because I don't like how fidgety her Queen is.  Although, I don't know much about the real Elizabeth I, maybe she was fidgety and Bette was just adding this small detail to her performance.  However, I find the film tolerable and watch it over and over because it features my Errol in tights and thigh high boots.  I have to say that Bette always gives her performance her all and I love how many different types of characters she played.

• Like 4

Part 1

WARNING: strong language ahead. the following post does not being rated by the FDA, the FDC or the FAA please consider it rated PG-13. Read at your own risk. Author shall assume no liability for raised blood pressure and offers no refunds for hurt feelings. however feel free to tell me to delete my account and be so kind as to post a step-by-step. Thank you.

this is part one. Yes unfortunately there's more.

why do I hate Bette Davis you ask? Because the woman cannot act and she ruins every movie I sat down to watch with my very favorite actors in which she sadly and unfortunately, co-stars . Undoubtedly, you will understand that I am a victim here for, as much as I turned off every movie that I, in my disarming naiveté, attempted to watch and enjoy, forgive me this sentence is too long and pretentious, as I was saying that I turned off, within 5 minutes or less, more or less, I had no choice but to watch Private lives of Elizabeth and Essex starring Errol Flynn, This, and Heaven Too starring Charles Boyer and the Petrified Forest starring Humphrey Bogart.

And for that, for Bette Davis' grievious & malicious insolence of daring being inside this must watch movies and thereby ruining my aforementioned would be enjoyment of them, I HAAAAAAAAATE her, hate her I tell you! Here is my message now to Bette Davis, albeit post humorously, um, I mean post posthumously, which I would like to quote Marlene Dietrich in witness for the prosecution: DAAAAAAAMMMMM MIYOOOOU!!!

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMM MIYOOOOUUUUUUUUU Bette, for co-starring with my main Leading Men. But thank you for not being in any films with Tyrone Power. For that I shall forever dislike you just a little bit less!!!

And here I am going to tell you, in explicit details that will prove she cannot act her clichéd way out of the proverbial paper bag, with colorful language exactly why.

But first let me give you some further ado. This Preamble post shall be necessary manipulative attempt to soften up the blow and to make myself look less like the lunatic I shall no doubt come across as.and I hope you will appreciate my honesty as much that I recognize I cannot hide the reason why I'm posting something positive about the Bette Davis that I hate so much, because you are a group of highly intelligent individuals and Beautiful and very compassionate people may I add. so you will have no doubt no problem recognizing that is positive q words are a manipulative attempt to get you on my good side. Enter nervous laughter here.

However manipulative of me, this is no BS it is actually the truth. I was watching an interview with her and Dick Cavett a few weeks ago. She actually did not turn my stomach. Which made me realize that I hate the actress and not the person per se. incoming Miracle of all miracles come and she said something that I actually agreed with her on. She say that she was old-fashioned and did not like the way they did acting nowadays. I believe that nowadays was in the late seventies or perhaps early eighties.

anyway she said that the way they did acting these days was just being and that was not acting and she did not like that at all. And that she wanted to act, if I recall properly to earn her paycheck, and that's What actors were doing these days, was just getting paid for just being themselves.I was able for a moment to share the fact that I thought she couldn't act either way, and appreciate and agree with what she was saying.

I shall come back later to post the big reveal on why Bette Davis cannot act and really question if every single Fan out there has truly been fooled and whether anybody sees what I see. I am sure you are all on pins and needles so please bear with me and do feel free to talk amongst yourselves until I return...

I don't mean to pry, but your real name wouldn't happen to be B.D. Hyman, would it? ;)

• Like 3

nope and it is not Joan Crawford either. I do not know who that who that is but I'll Google her (or him?) later on

She's Bette Davis' daughter, and she wrote a nasty tell-all book about her. (Anyway, I'm joking, and welcome to the board.)

• Like 1

forgive me for not liking your post but I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Not a lot? Maybe you're liking her better.

Let's see, you're new to the board and so far you've made it clear that you abhor (is that word strong enough?) Joan Crawford and Bette Davis. (Breaking News: Add Dana Andrews to the list.)

I'm hoping for the reveal on who you DO like and above all the reasons for it. I stocking up on more bags of popcorn for those blockbusters.

And yeah, welcome to the board ... I think.

:)

• Like 2

Davis or your mother?

• Like 1

no no no I do not hate them that answer is. I just think you cannot Act and he's very unsexy. Go see my post if you are so inclined, at the sexless men thread. there you will find a man after whom I cannot stand. However there is one who is beloved by everyone and I hate hate hate him. No I'm not sure who he is. Not yet anyway LOL!

I also do not hate Joan Crawford I just cannot stand her. It is not because of her acting or who she is but because she has a face that would stop a clock only a mother would love. Or something like it. actually, she has a halfway normal face before she did I do not know what to it eyebrows were right under her hairline and her face was onE Serious Lee distracting rectangle.

I hate rectangles. why? Because they were in this one movie with Doris Day and James Garner and all I could see was rectangles all over the place. That is why I hate 1950s movies so much. come to think of it, rectangles are probably the reason I shall never never never travel to Japan. Don't you wish you had just let me log off now? My recommendation for the popcorn? Cayenne pepper. :D no I am not being flippant or rude, it is just so that you can stomach my big reveal little bit better. It will sting less.

boy,do I have a feeling I am going to be up late tonight composing in my email checking the spelling and then posting around 3:46 a.m. or something

No, don't do it. You need the rest.

Not that you need this, but you can purge your Joanie problem by simply visiting the Ugly thread.

I'll have to brush up on my triangles. I was never good at geometry.

There's an actor who is a POOR actor that everyone LOVES except me. I would talk about but I don't know how to create "hateful" (whatever) blockbusters the likes of which is now currently playing.

I hate you Speed Racer 5. No, not for the words you just posted they are very kind to me and funny too. I hate you for the words that are above your avatar. They are very clever and make me very jealous. ;) please do not tell Tyrone Power I just posted this. Or Humphrey Bogart because he has a temper.

now if you could please tell me how to post words on top of my avatar I would be so obliged for your being so kind. And I promise to stop hating you. Because I never hated you in the first place. Only Bête Davis.

I think these directions should be the same if you're using a tablet:

At the upper right corner of your screen, click on your member name.  A box will appear below your member name.  Choose "My Settings."  About halfway down the screen, you should see a box that says: "Member Title." You should be able to edit your name there.

I know that previously, you had to have posted at least 500 comments before you could change your name.  I believe that they either removed that restriction or lowered it.  If it were lowered, I'm not sure what it was lowered to.  But regardless, that's how you change your title.

• Like 1

no no no I do not hate them that answer is. I just think you cannot Act

I do not hate Dana Andrews. I think he cannot Act. Sorry for my Android keyboard switching words around.

Wait, Muguet! Not EVEN when he played WWII veteran and(what would be called today) PTSD sufferer Fred Derry in my favorite movie of all time, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES  ???

(...sorry, but I guess we'll have to differ on how good an actor Dana Andrews was, 'cause in MY book he holds his own with one of the best film actors of all time in that movie, Fredric March...and that's no mean feat)

• Like 1

No, don't do it. You need the rest.

Not that you need this, but you can purge your Joanie problem by simply visiting the Ugly thread.

I'll have to brush up on my triangles. I was never good at geometry.

There's an actor who is a POOR actor that everyone LOVES except me. I would talk about but I don't know how to create "hateful" (whatever) blockbusters the likes of which is not currently playing.

OMG, he has been mentioned (in passing) in a (very recent) post and I didn't see it.

(ducking)

Oh, but never mind ... this thread is about Bette (I think)

Wait, Muguet! Not EVEN when he played WWII veteran and(what would be called today) PTSD sufferer Fred Derry in my favorite movie of all time, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES ???

(...sorry, but I guess we'll have to differ on how good an actor Dana Andrews was, 'cause in MY book he holds his own with one of the best film actors of all time in that movie, Fredric March...and that's no mean feat)

Dargo-- I'm coming in late to this.

But I know it. Because I just found out that Steve Forrest is Dana Andrews' brother.

Steve Forrest knocked my socks off, playing that great role in Mommie Dearest-- opposite Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford.

Dargo-- do you think Dana could have done as well?

And just one more question, sir--- which book do you like better-- Christina Crawford's book or BD's book?

They're both good, but they pale in comparison to Gary Crosby's.

There's an actor who is a POOR actor that everyone LOVES except me. I would talk about but I don't know how to create "hateful" (whatever) blockbusters the likes of which is not currently playing.

I've read this sentence three times and still don't know what it means.

I'd also like to know which POOR actor I LOVE.

• Like 3

I've read this sentence three times and still don't know what it means.

I'd also like to know which POOR actor I LOVE.

I also read it multiple times and didn't understand it.  But Laffite has always been really nice to me, so I didn't want to say anything.  Lol.

I'm also curious.

I also read it multiple times and didn't understand it.  But Laffite has always been really nice to me, so I didn't want to say anything.  Lol.

I'm also curious.

Laffite is one of the better posters on here, and I look forward to his responses. That's why I was confused by his vagueness. Maybe a past injury related to said subject? 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings