Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gloria DeHaven has died

Barton_Keyes

Actress Gloria DeHaven, a notable contract player at MGM in the 1940s, has died. She was 91.

steplively1944_11-h_2016.jpg

Gloria DeHaven, who died at 91 on July 31, is pictured above with Frank Sinatra in RKO's musical STEP LIVELY (1944).

The daughter of actor/director Carter DeHaven and actress Flora Parker DeHaven, Ms. DeHaven's film career began as a child in 1936 when she landed a bit part in Charlie Chaplin's MODERN TIMES. She was subsequently put under contract to MGM, where she appeared in supporting roles in such films as BEST FOOT FORWARD (1943), THE THIN MAN GOES HOME (1945), SCENE OF THE CRIME (1949) and SUMMER STOCK. DeHaven portrayed her mother in the musical biopic of songwriters Bert Kalmar and Harry Ruby, THREE LITTLE WORDS (1950).  

No stranger to the small screen, DeHaven appeared on numerous episodic television productions, including roles on such popular series as Gunsmoke, Marcus Welby, M.D., Hart to Hart, The Love Boat, Murder, She Wrote, and Touched by an Angel. In the late 1960s, DeHaven even hosted her own daytime talk show on WABC in New York City.

DeHaven was married to actor John Payne (MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET) from 1944 to 1950, realtor Martin Kimmel from 1953 to 1954, and businessman Richard Fincher from 1957 to 1963, and again to Fincher from 1965 to 1969. She is survived by two children from her marriage to Payne and two from her marriage to Fincher.

The Hollywood Reporter remembers Gloria DeHaven here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gloria-dehaven-dead-actress-singer-908539

Edited by Barton_Keyes
  • Like 3

That's a shame.  While I don't know much about DeHaven's career, I liked her in The Thin Man Goes Home, Summer Stock and Three Little Words.  However, in each of those films, she gave a delightful and entertaining performance.  She also had a beautiful singing voice.

I'll need to seek out more of her films.  

RIP Gloria.

• Like 1

Actress Gloria DeHaven, a notable contract player at MGM in the 1940s, has died. She was 91.

tumblr_nlu2l6oh4K1rw4bsao1_500.jpg

Gloria DeHaven, who died at 91 on July 31, is pictured above with Frank Sinatra in RKO's musical STEP LIVELY (1944).

The Hollywood Reporter remembers Gloria DeHaven here: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/gloria-dehaven-dead-actress-singer-908539

This was a very nice write-up here Barton, but I'm sorry to tell you that the young lady in that above still from STEP LIVELY with Sinatra isn't the recently departed Gloria DeHaven, but actually is another young costar of Frank's in that picture...Anne Jeffreys, and presently still with us at 93 years of age.

Here's Miss DeHaven with Frankie in that picture...

tumblr_m0cc7buPm81ql4a37o1_500.gif

(...and may she rest in peace)

tumblr_nlu2l6oh4K1rw4bsao1_500.jpg

The daughter of actor/director Carter DeHaven and actress Flora Parker DeHaven, Ms. DeHaven's film career began as a child in 1936 when she landed a bit part in Charlie Chaplin's MODERN TIMES. She was subsequently put under contract to MGM, where she appeared in supporting roles in such films as BEST FOOT FORWARD (1943), THE THIN MAN GOES HOME (1945), SCENE OF THE CRIME (1949) and SUMMER STOCK. DeHaven portrayed her mother in the musical biopic of songwriters Bert Kalmar and Harry Roby, THREE LITTLE WORDS (1950).  

No stranger to the small screen, DeHaven appeared on numerous episodic television productions, including roles on such popular series as Gunsmoke, Marcus Welby, M.D., Hart to Hart, The Love Boat, Murder, She Wrote, and Touched by an Angel. In the late 1960s, DeHaven even hosted her own daytime talk show on WABC in New York City.

DeHaven was married to actor John Payne (MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET) from 1944 to 1950, realtor Martin Kimmel from 1953 to 1954, and businessman Richard Fincher from 1957 to 1963, and again to Fincher from 1965 to 1969. She is survived by two children from her marriage to Payne and two from her marriage to Fincher.

Yes, Gloria DeHaven was in STEP LIVELY, but the lady in the picture above is Ann Jeffreys.

bnze83ur.jpg

This poster is above my computer monitor so I see her (& Roz) every day. Not the greatest movie, but Gloria DeHaven was one of the reasons why I chose to hang this in my office. I found her very appealing both in looks & personality.

I certainly hope she had a fulfilling life. 

With her looks and talent, I would have thought that as an MGM contract player, Miss DeHaven would have had a larger and more enduring career, something along the lines of Debbie Reynolds.  She was just lovely and appealing in the films I have seen.

• Like 1

With her looks and talent, I would have thought that as an MGM contract player, Miss DeHaven would have had a larger and more enduring career, something along the lines of Debbie Reynolds.  She was just lovely and appealing in the films I have seen.

"I feel it...here."  Her classic line from The Thin Man Goes Home. Just watched it two nights ago.  Also saw here in an Alfred Hithcock TV show (I think).  Always entertaining.

Gloria DeHaven was one of those "names" of "old time" Hollywood I seemed to have grown up seeing and hear ing a lot, but knew very little about.

Sure, I've seen several of her movies over the years, and thought she was very good in them and just LOVELY, but it all doesn't make the news of her death any less sad.  But.....

I can't recall hearing of or reading of, anything negative about her either as an actress or her off-screen life, so I'll just say...

REST IN PEACE. GLORIA.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I had the pleasure of seeing her in person about ten years ago.  She was shopping with one of her grandchildren.  We had a chance to chat a little bit.  She was so gracious.  She was in a wonderful episode of Murder,She Wrote, playing one of Ruth Roman's customers in the local beauty shop.  A chance to see several wonderful women from the 1940's  in the same scenes.  And she looked so great in her last movie, "Out to Sea."  What a wonderul way to remember her!

Terrence.

I had the pleasure of seeing her in person about ten years ago.  She was shopping with one of her grandchildren.  We had a chance to chat a little bit.  She was so gracious.  She was in a wonderful episode of Murder,She Wrote, playing one of Ruth Roman's customers in the local beauty shop.  A chance to see several wonderful women from the 1940's  in the same scenes.  And she looked so great in her last movie, "Out to Sea."  What a wonderul way to remember her!

Terrence.

There were actually 3 episodes centering around Loretta's Beauty Shop customers. Wish there had been more!

Like Muguet1 I also at first had the knee jerk reaction of OMG not our Olivia who just turned 100!  A second glance revealed it was Gloria DeHaven.  Never my favorite actress and I may have seen only one or two of her films.  Never the less, my sympathies to her family.  Oleho hasholem.  May she rest in peace.

Is she getting a TCM Remembers? (I havent been watching).

No. It seems that due to budgetary restraints, TCM is no longer producing individual TCM Remembers tributes, instead focusing only on the year-end tribute to all of the film industry notables who have died in the last year.

The last individual TCM Remembers tribute produced before that practice was discontinued was the one for Maureen O'Hara, which aired in October of last year.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings