Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Comparing 'Broads'

mrsl

We've touched on this subject before, but usually individually.

One of my favorite parts in a movie is Paulette Goddard in 'The Women'. She knew how to give a knock-out punch without moving her arms. In the 'remake', 'The Opposite Sex' Ann Sheridan, although best friend to the lead, gave some great lines, as did Eve Arden as the best friend in 'Mildred Pierce'. Kyra Sedgewick does it in 'Something to Talk About'. I love all these girls. Mary Wickes, and Marjorie Main could also deliver good sarcasm, but they made faces most of the time, while doing it. The others delivered with dry wit, only, no other mannerisms. What made me think of this was 'Stage Door' last night, that movie was loaded with one-liners from nearly every actress living in the house. Ginger Rogers was good, but again, she either frowned or rolled her eyes, but she, too, was a 'tough broad' when needed.

That's my 'take' on them, what others do you know of, or what comparisons would you make about these?

Anne

I love Stage Door!!!! I think it is one of the most deliciously fun movies of all time, both because it has Kate Hepburn, Ginger Rogers, and Lucille Ball in it (among others), and because of the witty script full of those smart-alecky jabs you mention, MrsL. It is so underrated. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that it didn't make money at the box office and led in part to Kate H.'s "box office poison" label. Amazing.

Betty Field in BUS STOP

Gladys George as "Panama" in THE ROARING TWENTIES

Joan Blondel in almost everything

Ann Southern in SYLVIA

Linda Darnell in FALLEN ANGEL, MY DARLING CLEMENTINE and A LETTER TO THREE WIVES (a great favorite)

Claire Trevor in KEY LARGO

Thelma Ritter in THE MISFITS, PILLOW TALK, REAR WINDOW

Jean Hagen in SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, THE ASPHALT JUNGLE

Joan Crawford in RAIN, FLAMINGO ROAD, THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, THE WOMEN, STRANGE CARGO

Message was edited by:

MissGoddess

Eve Arden practically made a career of that type. I love STAGE DOOR too. A grossly underrated comedy. Better than the play. George S. Kaufman perfected the sassy lady in several of his hilarious plays. ONCE IN A LIFETIME, THE BUTTER AND EGG MAN, THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER. But, as "the man who hated Hollywood", GSK had little to do with the screen adaptations of his work.

Red River

• 2 weeks later...

Anne

Hi, it's me again, I have to agree with you Paulette Goddard in The Women. A dynamite part and just full of zingers from the moment she got near the camera to the next to last scene in the ladies lounge - one terrific performance,

Thanks

Pat