Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When You Hate An Actor/Actress Everyone Likes

hepclassic

Usually in the classic film category it means that I heard something horrible about them and don't want to touch it with a ten foot pole. It also means that I am hesitant to explore that star because of my taste not being ready to handle it because it might not mesh. 

Nowadays, it really is a matter of who takes the cake when there are plenty of slices to serve all. This is a conversation starter, so I won't reveal whom I am talking about in my first and second paragraphs until someone responds. 

I don't see the need for someone to hate a specific star or director. There are so many others to pick and choose from-- it's easy to stay busy looking at what's more interesting.

Plus what happens in the event your most favorite and least favorite performers appear in the same film together? Why, you still watch it, of course..!

• Like 2

To be fair, hate makes a more noticeable headline. 

It took me forever to wrap my head around John Wayne. I can only watch him with Maureen O'Hara or other actors that made him look good. 

I really dislike Meryl Streep's work as of late. What she had in the 70s, 80s, and 90s isn't there anymore. 

• Like 3

People don't need or not need to hate specific actors and/or directors. They just do because they are human, and movie buffs, and like to discuss such things. We even have an Ugly thread flourishing. One might say there is no need for that (I could do without it) but we like to immerse ourselves in such things, the more negative the better.

To be fair, hate makes a more noticeable headline.

It took me forever to wrap my head around John Wayne. I can only watch him with Maureen O'Hara or other actors that made him look good.

I really dislike Meryl Streep's work as of late. What she had in the 70s, 80s, and 90s isn't there anymore.

Terrific comment---- I can only enlarge on it to say there's nothing that I can look at with John Wayne anymore. As child I could tolerate him with Maureen O'Hara, Randolph Scott, Richard Widmark or William Holden.

-- Meryl Streep is just tiresome.

I was looking at some movie on cable where she played a witch whose head kept on going around and around. I just sat there and said to myself--

"Well,that's the great Meryl Streep?"

It's ironic that when I first saw the heading of this thread I thought of John Wayne. And yet the first name mentioned WAS John Wayne.

I don't hate him but I don't like him. The only films I've ever watched with him are "The Big Trail" (1930)

and "Baby Face"  (1933).

My Dad wouldn't watch him and told me about him being a "draft-dodger" during WWll.

I never could understand what people saw in him. But that's just my opinion.

• Like 3

Well, I wouldn't say I hated this person... but Miss Barbara Stanwyck was one classic film star I disliked strongly from the get-go. I first saw her in "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946)" and I immediately disliked her. Usually I am able to separate the actor from the character, but in this case, I was not as successful. I can't really explain it, since her character was horrible, but several of Miss Bette Davis' characters weren't all ingenues and naive farm-girls either. 

After a few months of disliking "Babs," I decided to watch some more of her films in an effort to get past my dislike for her, and see some really good films in the process. I watched "Sorry Wrong Number" (1948) and decided I didn't dislike her as much as I had initially, and then finally watched both "Remember the Night" (1940) and "Christmas in Connecticut" (1945). These two films showed Babs' more comedic and adorable side, and I immediately started to love her. 

So I guess my point is, I started off disliking a particular actress for really no reason at all, and then wound up loving her. 

• Like 10

"When you hate an actor/actress everyone likes....."

"....others will eventually come around"

There are some modern actors I intensely dislike because I think they are bad at their craft. Often a decent movie or a good story can mask/distract their poor performance for others*.

Once people see them in a few real stinkers, they then see what I had seen all along:

Kevin Costner was my first "intensely disliked" popular actor. 

Tom Hanks is my current "intensely disliked" popular actor.

*that said, I did enjoy SAVING MR BANKS despite Hank's feeble attempt at acting. I liked the story despite all the wooden performances.

So I guess my point is, I started off disliking a particular actress for really no reason at all, and then wound up loving her. 

My experience with Stanwyck has been somewhat the opposite. I don't dislike her, but I am not in awe like I once was. And I know fellow poster Swithin doesn't care much for her. 

• Like 1

When it comes to "current", Julia Roberts falls into this category for me.  She was ok in Steel Magnolias, but almost everything else struck me as the same one-note  "performance", just in different settings.  She was a Sweetheart to everyone in America but me.

• Like 5

In  classic film, I don't hate anyone; some stars I dislike ( Adolphe Menjou, Ward Bond,  and Robert Taylor, to name three), but hate is too strong a word.  I don't let the presence of any of these actors keep me from seeing a film.

I'm with you as far as Menjou goes.  but we part when it comes to WARD BOND and ROBERT TAYLOR.

I developed a liking for Taylor since I as a kid, really liked his THE DETECTIVES TV series.  The first MOVIE of his I ever saw was BATAAN back about that time too.  And IMO, Ward Bond never did any movie he was in any harm.

I also don't HATE any actor or actress.  Also just don't LIKE some as much as others do, but won't stay away from any movie because they're in them, even Menjou, as long as he stays in a supporting role. 

But it does get grinding in this forum when others "gush" over some actress or actor who really wasn't any better or worse than any of their contemporaries simply because they were "classic" actors and actresses, and film historians have a tendency to heap extra accolades on them and these people might feel that due to THAT, THEY TOO, have to join in so as to not feel they're not as big as "film buffs" as they thought they were.

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Well, I wouldn't say I hated this person... but Miss Barbara Stanwyck was one classic film star I disliked strongly from the get-go. I first saw her in "The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946)" and I immediately disliked her. Usually I am able to separate the actor from the character, but in this case, I was not as successful. I can't really explain it, since her character was horrible, but several of Miss Bette Davis' characters weren't all ingenues and naive farm-girls either. 

After a few months of disliking "Babs," I decided to watch some more of her films in an effort to get past my dislike for her, and see some really good films in the process. I watched "Sorry Wrong Number" (1948) and decided I didn't dislike her as much as I had initially, and then finally watched both "Remember the Night" (1940) and "Christmas in Connecticut" (1945). These two films showed Babs' more comedic and adorable side, and I immediately started to love her. 

I like N&N's post here a lot. I think it speaks volumes about how quite often the more exposure one has to ANY actor or actress's work, very often it softens their at first negative opinion of them.

And, when I think of how this quite often can happen, I'm reminded of my own less than favorable opinion I once held for both Joan Fontaine and Eleanor Parker, but then after watching these two ladies perform in films in which TCM had spotlighted them in during their SOTM turns, both have risen in my estimation quite a bit.

(...and Helen...who knows?!...perhaps if you would/could sit through your first showing of THE MALTESE FALCON and KITTY FOYLE, then maybe this sort of thing might happen to you in regard to Bogie and Ginger too)

• Like 3

I don't really like Humphrey Bogart or Ginger Rogers at all but they are hard to avoid when watching classic films.

I've never seen The Maltese Falcon nor. Kitty Foyle.

I agree on Ginger, but honestly, Helen, you MUST break down and give The Maltese Falcon a viewing. If I try to imagine despising Bogart I'm sure I would think this one wholly unobjectionable, Bogie-wise. But if should I nonetheless find myself in agony at the mere sight of him, I need only but direct my attention to the rest of the cast. See petulant Peter Lorre. See crafty Sidney Greenstreet. And simply be astonished at the performance of Mary Astor, who is brilliant (esp. her final scenes). If they are not a cure for Bogeyphobia, they will at least provide a happy respite.

• Like 2

It's ironic that when I first saw the heading of this thread I thought of John Wayne. And yet the first name mentioned WAS John Wayne.

I don't hate him but I don't like him. The only films I've ever watched with him are "The Big Trail" (1930)

and "Baby Face"  (1933).

My Dad wouldn't watch him and told me about him being a "draft-dodger" during WWll.

I never could understand what people saw in him. But that's just my opinion.

I read that he was very abusive to his wives, one whom he married to "put in her place" because she was Puerto Rican, and that he sympathized with Hitler. 

So, knowing that while exploring classic movies made it very very hard for me to watch a movie of his. It took me years before I saw The Quiet Man (1952), which was my first John Wayne movie I saw in which he actually acted in. 

Terrific comment---- I can only enlarge on it to say there's nothing that I can look at with John Wayne anymore. As child I could tolerate him with Maureen O'Hara, Randolph Scott, Richard Widmark or William Holden.

-- Meryl Streep is just tiresome.

I was looking at some movie on cable where she played a witch whose head kept on going around and around. I just sat there and said to myself--

"Well,that's the great Meryl Streep?"

I recently told someone, when I shared my insight into her new film, where she plays a bad singer (which she doesn't have to go far on that one to research) this: 

"Meryl is never bad, that is why she isn't that good anymore. Celebrity has crippled the talent." 

Bette Davis once said: "The minute someone tells you you are good, that's it. You must always be challenged." 

• Like 3

I recently told someone, when I shared my insight into her new film, where she plays a bad singer (which she doesn't have to go far on that one to research) this: 

"Meryl is never bad, that is why she isn't that good anymore. Celebrity has crippled the talent." 

I think we lost her just after the Disney rant.  (And it wasn't even an informed Disney rant...Who the heck still thinks Louie Armstrong was in the Jungle Book??)

Now she seems to be taking on roles where she can indulge herself parodying something else in the genre/industry--like the upcoming Florence Foster Jenkins movie--as her personal Hollywood-feminist belief that she's "flipping off" the entertainment industry for all the years she's been in it and thinks she deserves to.

• Like 1

I think we lost her just after the Disney rant.  (And it wasn't even an informed Disney rant...Who the heck still thinks Louie Armstrong was in the Jungle Book??)

Now she seems to be taking on roles where she can indulge herself parodying something else in the genre/industry--like the upcoming Florence Foster Jenkins movie--as her personal Hollywood-feminist belief that she's "flipping off" the entertainment industry for all the years she's been in it and thinks she deserves to.

Well, Meryl Streep is the best example of white feminism to me, meaning that what is good for her must be good for everyone regardless of their personal experiences with other inequalities. Me, I am an intersectional feminist, and I think equality shouldn't be exclusive. I had enough issues with The Iron Lady (2011) passing Margaret Thatcher off as a feminist when she wasn't one, and agency is everything. But hey, when you are Meryl Streep, you can do no wrong even if you do do plenty of wrong. 

• Like 1

In the book "Kate Remembered" the author notes that Miss Hepburn revealed that she really, really disliked Streep's acting "technique".

"I can see the wheels turning." was Katharine Hepburn's observations about her in that book. 

If anyone read any of Pauline Kael's reviews of Meryl's films, I can't say I agree with Kael because I love Streep's work from 1977-2003, but what's really sad is that of her later performances, the whole "acting from the head up" seems to be becoming true, among other criticisms of Kael's. 

Streep was asked about Kael after Kael passed away and she said : "You know it must have been hard for someone like her from Brooklyn and Jewish being taken seriously" and that is all she said about it. Way to make it personal Meryl. Is it possible that not everyone in the world likes you? 

• Like 1

All this talk of Meryl's supposed "slipping"(and a thought I'm not sure I'm completely on-board with, btw) has reminded me of a certain male actor of approximately her same generation who it might seem(at least to me) has gone on "auto-pilot" for quite some time now.

However, I'm not sure if now mentioning the name of Robert De Niro here would actually be in keeping with the original premise of this thread.

(...and I assume you good folks here by now all know how averse I am to sidetracking these threads around here, doncha?!!!) ;)

LOL

• Like 2

great comment!

and I could say the same regarding Robt. DeNiro & Johnny Depp as well :(

Early in careers, I would give ANY of their films a go just because they were in them.

Sadly not anymore.

Too many stinkers.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings