Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On August 1st 1936 Adolf Hitler opened the 11th Olympics in Berlin.

It was to be a spectacle of Aryan/ Nordic athletic superiority.

But Hitler didn't count on one Young black American athlete named Jesse Owens.

Hitler's presence and the adulation of the fuhrer showed the whole world how Germany felt about Adolf Hitler.

It was truly shocking for Adolph Hitler to have a person like Jesse Owens Win 4 gold medals in track and field at the Berlin Olympics.

Despite Hitler's already burgeoning policies of anti-semitism, the World Press saw Hitler as a positive powerful world leader who had successfully reorganized the defeated Germany and captured the world stage to Showcase Nazi Germany.

Looking at this spectacular Extravaganza, it's hard to believe that only nine years later there would be no Nazi Germany. Hitler would be dead, leaving Europe devastated, at a loss of approximately 40 million people in the European theater-- including more than 5 million Jews who perished in Hitler's Final Solution, the Holocaust.

We came close to boycotting the 1936 Olympics but was not implemented as the President of the United States Olympic Committee,  Avery Brudage felt that politics should be kept separate from sports.  Good thing  Avery saw to it that we didn't went though with the boycott, history would had been different.

Hitler did got egg on his face, the look on it was priceless.  Because other nations had film crews and it was the first televised sporting event, the Nazi's couldn't white wash the historic event.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2517276/Jesse-Owens-1936-Olympic-gold-medal-enraged-Hitler-auction.html

There is a biopic made about Jesse Owens called "Race" (2016), Stunned  I've never seen any ads for it on TV.  His 3 daughters were involved with the making of the film.  If you didn't bring the subject up, I would have never heard of it.

• Like 1

Jerry did win both the greatest number of gold medals and

total medals. They did have the home field advantage and

maybe ol' Joe Mengele was giving the athletes "vitamin"

shots.

We came close to boycotting the 1936 Olympics but was not implemented as the President of the United States Olympic Committee, Avery Brudage felt that politics should be kept separate from sports. Good thing Avery saw to it that we didn't went though with the boycott, history would had been different.

Hitler did got egg on his face, the look on it was priceless. Because other nations had film crews and it was the first televised sporting event, the Nazi's couldn't white wash the historic event.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2517276/Jesse-Owens-1936-Olympic-gold-medal-enraged-Hitler-auction.html

There is a biopic made about Jesse Owens called "Race" (2016), Stunned I've never seen any ads for it on TV. His 3 daughters were involved with the making of the film. If you didn't bring the subject up, I would have never heard of it.

I saw the Jesse Owens thing on PBS a year and a half or two years ago.

They had a lot of promos for it on the PBS, maybe I saw it twice. It was good and it was,of course, talking about the Olympics, but they had his whole life on.

Jerry did win both the greatest number of gold medals and

total medals. They did have the home field advantage and

maybe ol' Joe Mengele was giving the athletes "vitamin"

shots.

Many years later, East Germany was dominant in track and field in one summer Olympics, only to have many of the medals yanked for PEDs.

Many years later, East Germany was dominant in track and field in one summer Olympics, only to have many of the medals yanked for PEDs.

Two weeks of solid boredom to me. I do recall the East Germans

having the same problems as the Ruskies are having now. Seems

like they were caught on more than one occasion, but maybe not.

Two weeks of solid boredom to me. I do recall the East Germans

having the same problems as the Ruskies are having now. Seems

like they were caught on more than one occasion, but maybe not.

The West Germans were clean, which gave us the bragging rights in the cold war.

The West Germans were clean, which gave us the bragging rights in the cold war.

Not much to brag on, but during the Cold War it

didn't take much for either side to try to go one

up on the other.

On August 1st 1936 Adolf Hitler opened the 11th Olympics in Berlin.

It was to be a spectacle of Aryan/ Nordic athletic superiority.

But Hitler didn't count on one Young black American athlete named Jesse Owens.

Hitler's presence and the adulation of the fuhrer showed the whole world how Germany felt about Adolf Hitler.

It was truly shocking for Adolph Hitler to have a person like Jesse Owens Win 4 gold medals in track and field at the Berlin Olympics.

Despite Hitler's already burgeoning policies of anti-semitism, the World Press saw Hitler as a positive powerful world leader who had successfully reorganized the defeated Germany and captured the world stage to Showcase Nazi Germany.

Looking at this spectacular Extravaganza, it's hard to believe that only nine years later there would be no Nazi Germany. Hitler would be dead, leaving Europe devastated, at a loss of approximately 40 million people in the European theater-- including more than 5 million Jews who perished in Hitler's Final Solution, the Holocaust.

I saw a documentary on PBS  "The Nazi Games Berlin 1936" Tuesday about Germany and the Olympics in 1936. I didn't know so many things that occurred in the 1936 Olympics influenced the modern day Olympics. The IOC was corrupt then as they are now. Germany was the first to have a grand Olympics which influenced future Olympics to be bigger and better than the previous one. Germany Olympics created the torch relay. Hopefully PBS will repeat the documentary especially with Rio Games starting and all the drama surrounding it.

I thought it was because the East German women turned out to be men.

Anyone who listened to NY sports during the 60s and 70s would remember radio announcer Marty Glickman. Glickman was set to run the 400-meter relay in the 1936 Olympics, along with Sam Stoller. Glickman and Stoller were the only Jews on the track and field team. They were both replaced the day before the event, and Jesse Owens was one of the replacements. Glickman always insisted that his coach and Avery Brundage were sympathetic to the Nazis and were anti-Semites.

• Like 1

Anyone who listened to NY sports during the 60s and 70s would remember radio announcer Marty Glickman. Glickman was set to run the 400-meter relay in the 1936 Olympics, along with Sam Stoller. Glickman and Stoller were the only Jews on the track and field team. They were both replaced the day before the event, and Jesse Owens was one of the replacements. Glickman always insisted that his coach and Avery Brundage were sympathetic to the Nazis and were anti-Semites.

Glickman never claimed he was faster than Owens. While today it is common practice for the guys who do the individual sprints to also run the relay, in those days it wasn't.

I saw a documentary on PBS  "The Nazi Games Berlin 1936" Tuesday about Germany and the Olympics in 1936. I didn't know so many things that occurred in the 1936 Olympics influenced the modern day Olympics. The IOC was corrupt then as they are now. Germany was the first to have a grand Olympics which influenced future Olympics to be bigger and better than the previous one. Germany Olympics created the torch relay. Hopefully PBS will repeat the documentary especially with Rio Games starting and all the drama surrounding it.

http://www.pbs.org/video/2365811402/

• 2 weeks later...

Black U.S. Olympians Won In Nazi Germany Only To Be Overlooked At Home-

"Altogether, the 18 African-Americans, including Owens, won 14 medals — eight of them gold. That was a quarter of the 56 medals won by the entire U.S. team...

They were Olympic athletes when they were on the medal stand," Draper says. "When they came back home to a segregated America, ...

Some entered academia. Others held elected office.

Many struggled to establish stable careers, including Robinson, the silver medalist. He once used his Olympic jacket to keep warm while working as a street sweeper.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetorch/2016/08/13/489773389/black-u-s-olympians-won-in-nazi-germany-only-to-be-overlooked-at-home?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160813

• Like 1

Black U.S. Olympians Won In Nazi Germany Only To Be Overlooked At Home-

"Altogether, the 18 African-Americans, including Owens, won 14 medals — eight of them gold. That was a quarter of the 56 medals won by the entire U.S. team...

They were Olympic athletes when they were on the medal stand," Draper says. "When they came back home to a segregated America, ...

Some entered academia. Others held elected office.

Many struggled to establish stable careers, including Robinson, the silver medalist. He once used his Olympic jacket to keep warm while working as a street sweeper.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetorch/2016/08/13/489773389/black-u-s-olympians-won-in-nazi-germany-only-to-be-overlooked-at-home?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160813

Coming back to American racism - - Jesse Owens couldn't make a living for his family. So to make a living He raced race horses. I don't mean he was riding on the horse-- he was running against the horse and he won.