Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

wierd programming

mrsl

This is not a complaint, just a question/suggestion, so don't everybody jump on me. I'm beginning to understand the frustration of Golden Age movie lovers who work. Last night/this morning at 2:00 a.m. I wanted so much to see Weekend at the Waldorf, but fell asleep about 1/2 hour into it, and didn't have my recorder going. Drat!!! Today, I've been surfing the channel directory trying to set up the day as I have a lot of crocheting to do, and instead of changing channels after every movie, I pre-set the TV to automatically change. Normally I would just turn on TCM and leave it but with offerings of Peter Sellers (can't stand), all morning and early afternoon, and Woody Allen (you know my opinion of him), TCM will not be on my TV until tomorrow morning.

At that time, I will watch Holiday Affair. It would have been nice if they had programmed it for 3:00 p.m. instead of Coal Miner's Daughter, which was just on yesterday at the same time! Loving Loretta Lynn as I do, I wouldn't mention it ordinarily, but please, if you watched it Thursday at 3:00, why would you again watch it on Saturday, 2 days later? I re-watch movies all the time, but within a 48 hour span is a little much, even for me! And on Sunday, the same goes for Kitty Foyle (6:30 a.m.) and Guys and Dolls, just on three days ago repeating at 12:30 p.m. Sunday. I'm simply saying a little common sense could be used. Thank God for football!

As I said, I'm not stating a complaint, I just wonder if different people plan the schedule and don't compare notes. Kitty Foyle was Ginger's oscar winner I believe, and so much worth watching again and again. I never could accept Jean Simmons in G&D and of course it also offers old marble mouth Brando. Much as I love musicals, I've never seen that one except the first time. But that's my opinion, I know most of you love it, so I'm not complaining about the movie being shown, just the time frame it's in. At least I have a spark of luck in all this because Holiday Affair is being repeated next week at 7:00 p.m., but again, the time frame!.

Your thoughts, or inability to see something, then later in the day, an often shown movies is replayed, where you would have preferred a repeat of an early morning film?

Anne

I know what you mean, Anne. It seems to me that TCM has been showing more and more repeats in a shorter span than when I first started watching. Still not as bad as HBO or whatnot, but headed in that direction. I don't see the need for it when most everybody has DVR, TIVO, etc.......... A lot lately have been repeating just a few days later, as you said with Guys and Dolls. I hope they don't get to the point of HBO and Showtime, showing everything countless times during the month, especially when there's so many great films that have been on the backburner for some time, like Ben Hur and To Kill A Mockingbird. I did enjoy seeing The Graduate last night.

I agree... Why repeat something twice in two days -- or even twice in one year -- and fail to show the wealth of great movies that are mouldering in warehouses somewhere? Same phenomenon is found on my public radio station, where they play Garrison Keillor's weekly show on both Saturday and Sunday, yet Micheal Feldman's (far superior, IMO) not at all... Invariably I miss out on great, rare, and interesting treasures in the wee hours of the morning or during the workday (don't get a paper, and it's hard to keep up with the schedule), only to find modern junk or reruns playing when I'm ready to sit down and watch. Not liking these trends!

mrsl - you're exactly right; we made a mistake

since we create our schedules month-by-month, it slipped by us that the same film played just two days earlier (the end of November) and we repeated it again in early December

we usually avoid mistakes like that, but it does happen sometimes

Well, once again, remember the 'newer' movies they show from the 70's and 80's are respectively nearly 40 and 30 years old now, so we have to accept them. They just don't have the same charm and appeal as even the 'B' movies from the 40's and 50's.

As for time lines in showings, I expect that since they have to rent, they probably have time frames to stay within, much as we have from Blockbuster and Hollywood Video, but if they have a month's time, to show a movie in the first week, it seems to me, the reshowing could be at least the 3rd or 4th week of the month.

The problem is the really older 'classics' are being pushed aside by the newer 'classics'. In July Richard Dix was a STOTM, and was very well received. . . where are his movies now? They were all shown for that 24 hour day, but haven't been repeated. I saw two before I realized I was enjoying them, but didn't have any blank tapes, well, I was able to tape three of them that sounded good, but the rest are lost. Again, why haven't they been replayed? All these wonderful Lucille Ball B&W's, when will we see them again? other than Miss Grant Takes Richmond, and Stage Door, which is mainly a vehicle for Ginger and Kate.

Anne

I've noticed it, too, and like you I won't be watching/recording anything on TCM until HOLIDAY AFFAIR (which I'll probably sleep through part of). I'm going out tonight so I don't feel like I'm missing anything but otherwise I'd be watching dvds. Weekends are usually "dodgy" as far as I'm concerned, they seldom air what I like.

Miss G

Often when they lease films from other sources, the contract specifies how many time times the film can be broadcast. Sometimes, it is for once only. Other times it may be for, as an example, three times over two years.

If TCM can air it multiple times over two years they may rerun the Dix or Ball films later down the line.

In the end, it all depends on what the rental contract says.

Brad, aren't you the one who never saw Holiday Affair?, if you are, set your timer for it on Sunday morning unless you're an early riser.

lzcutter:

"In the end, it all depends on what the rental contract says."

As I said.

Anne

Message was edited by:

mrsl because lzcutter got in while I was typing :x

Hello all!!! I LOVE anything Robert Mitchum has done...and love to watch him "SWAGGER!!!" I guess it's kinda weird that a I (a woman) would choose the name Swagger, but it was my admiration of Robert Mitchum and his "swagger" that got me......I have seen the movie Holiday Affair... and will be propped up in front of my television this Sat 12/2 @8:30am to watch my man. What's really funny is that I dated a man (Chris) that reminded me of Mitchum... his (Chris's) physical characteristics and his swagger were very much like Mitchum's... LOL Anyhoo... I can't wait until they release the DVD's of several of Mitchum's films that go on sale next month ( I think 1/23)... I'll be one of the first if not the first one to purchase this DVD collection... well looking forward to the film...

In July Richard Dix was a STOTM, and was very well received. . . where are his movies now?

Actually, mrsl, they showed two Dix films about a week or two ago. They both had Lucy in them, I believe, and were part of this Lucy month. I had posted a thread about it that night announcing that they would be on that night.

dear tcmprogrammr,

I appreciate your letting us know...

I guess I don't have to say it again (since it's probably been posted hundreds of times here) but, for a lot of film lovers, movies not available on video (or DVD) are always going to be more appealing than anything that's easy to rent on DVD.

Merry Holidays!

Thanks filmlover, I saw them, I spent most of the day and night watching Lucy. But you just made my point. SOTM was in July, or was it August? Anyway that was three or four months ago, and no repeats of his movies during those months? Yet we have had Annie Hall 3 times, and The Graduate twice, or was it three? Not to mention the little mini Doris Day, day last week with That Touch of Mink, Glass Bottom Boat, Lover Come Back, and Please Don't Eat the Daisies.

But TCM programmer has explained what happens, it was a mistake, so let's give them the benefit of the doubt.

Anne

I guess I don't have to say it again (since it's probably been posted hundreds of times here) but, for a lot of film lovers, movies not available on video (or DVD) are always going to be more appealing than anything that's easy to rent on DVD.>>

I'm all for obscure films from the studio era being run but one thing we have to keep in mind about all this is that many films that are not available on video or dvd are that way because of rights issues. Rights issues keep some films locked up in the vaults. Other rights issues make it okay for studios to release the films to Europe and Asia but not America. Rights issues can keep a film from seeing the light of restoration for years.

Many, many studio era films that are not on DVD have yet to be mastered to a digital format which makes them unavailable for TCM to run.

There are many reasons for this:

Some in Home Video have little knowledge of what classic films their studio owns. Studios make more money selling box sets of vintage and modern television shows than they do from selling classic films.

Paramount feels it got burned in the market place when DVD sales of some of their classic films did not sell as well as expected. They use that as an excuse to not restore and remaster their classic library.

Universal, having bought some of Paramount's pre-1949 non silent titles, is much more interested in putting its Paramount acquired films on digital rather than their own. Being owned by General Electric does not help.

Sony and Fox are getting better. Sony has made some big strides this year in increasing the number of films it has restored and remastered.

WBros, as always, is the top of the pyramid. However, the sheer size of their studio library (all Warner Bros, all RKO, all MGM to 1986) means that it will be a few years at least before the bulk of the library is restored and remastered.

To be honest with you Brad and Sweetbaby, I hadn't noticed before I posted, but Brad's right, much as I love the movie, it, too is repeated a lot in December, but as TCM programmer said, sometimes they forget, and make mistakes, just like all of us do.

By the way, any of you who has ABCTV Family on either cable or dish, if you have kids; every night in December they run 'G' holiday movies. Of course there are commercials, but the kids love them, and they're running them all day today. Also, next Friday, they are running Polar Express at 8:00/7:00 p.m., with added scenes. It's a great movie for kids and if you have to put up with commercials, well.. .

These are the movies I mentioned that I love and although I don't normally have The Hallmark Channel, it's on special 'free showing' this month, so I'm getting the advantage of seeing the Christmas movies they're showing. Lifetime, and USA also show them, and believe it or not, a couple of time this week already, I've had a hard time deciding between two stations, and what to watch.

Anne