Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

9 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

And too, how 'bout------

Sepiatone

I have to tell you this--

The other day I was listening to the radio and they had the Jascha Heifetz violin arrangement of Gershwin's  3 Preludes.

Joshua Bell had recorded them with John Williams at the piano.

I can appreciate that Heifetz wanted to play them on the violin, but they didn't really quite work out--

John Williams saved what little was left to be saved. He's a very good pianist and I read someplace that he played that wonderful theme to "The Apartment" for the Billy Wilder movie.

• Thanks 1

Williams was doing a lot of studio piano work for a slew of film composers, and from what I can find, no doubt for ADOLPH DEUTSCH  as well.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Williams was doing a lot of studio piano work for a slew of film composers, and from what I can find, no doubt for ADOLPH DEUTSCH  as well.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Adolph Deutsch was one of the top music men for the MGM Musical.

• Thanks 1

My first classical music concert( DSO) was of two Mozart piano concertos and a Mahler symphony......  This one-------  But in my case, the conductor was ANTAL DORATI

Sepiatone

If we're heading in a contemporary direction---

I first heard this performed by the DSO with JAMES DePREIST  as guest conductor------   back 'bout '77-'78

Sepiatone

• 2 weeks later...

While cruisin' through the MUSIC CHOICE channels I came across the 2nd movement of a symphony I like and reflected on how though I liked the whole symphony, I liked this 2nd movement from it JUST a bit more that the rest of the work.  Made me wonder....  how many, and which 2nd movements from which symphonies do I like "a bit" more than other parts?   So, I sat down and thought....   So far, I've come up with these four.....

and.....

And then...

But, can't forget-------

Sepiatone

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2020 at 11:35 PM, Rudy's Girl said:

This is my favorite symphony of all. Lenny Bernstein loved it so much he had the score buried with him. Weirdly, the Adagietto is my least favorite movement, but that happened over time. I get very obsessive of 2M and the 5M. The symphony in some respects a spiritual journey. The 2M is angst with a very brief (and wonderful) respite, a fleeting glimpse of enlightenment near the end of that movement. This and other sections of the symphony move me so that I can't really listen in public (on the iPod for instance). The 5M is uplifting to an degree that exhilarates.  My favorite is Yoel Levi and the Atlanta Symphony. Perfection. It's the only one i can listen to.

• Like 1

If I posted this before, I'm sorry.  But I do like all four from RODEO, but this is so blissful I can't help but love it a bit more......

But my personal copy is by the DSO conducted by ANTAL DORATI,  whom I also saw perform it in concert.

Sepiatone

• 5 weeks later...

Heard this contemporary work from a contemporary composer on the radio yesterday afternoon.  Had to call the station to get all the info........

Sepiatone