Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
laffite

Classical Music

I know I've posted this before, but I can't remember where. This is my favorite piece, from the Romantic period, I think. It definitely is romantic. I listen to it quite often.

On 6/10/2020 at 12:44 AM, Rudy's Girl said:

I know I've posted this before, but I can't remember where. This is my favorite piece, from the Romantic period, I think. It definitely is romantic. I listen to it quite often.

The UNEDITED part starts at 6:04 and goes to 6:38. I've never heard that before. Not bad.

Bur right after that, 6:38 thru 7:40 is the height of a crescendo that has always reminded me of Scottie and Madeleine driving up that country road on the way to the bell tower at the end of the movie. He,  his hands on the wheel, looking straight ahead and saying nothing; and she, trying to keep her composure looking straight ahead too but looking from time to time apprehensively at him. (I know I've mentioned this before on this thread somewhere)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, laffite said:

The UNEDITED part starts at 6:04 and goes to 6:38. I've never heard that before. Not bad.

Bur right after that, 6:38 thru 7:40 is the height of a crescendo that has always reminded me of Scottie and Madeleine driving up that country road on the way to the bell tower at the end of the movie. He,  his hands on the wheel, looking straight ahead and saying nothing; and she, trying to keep her composure looking straight ahead too but looking from time to time apprehensively at him. (I know I've mentioned this before on this thread somewhere)

I want to add something that just occurred to me. That UNEDITED section actually REPLACED a section that is not heard here, but that IS heard in almost I'm sure all other recordings. That which was replaced was better IMO than what we hear in this recording. Maybe I'm just used to it but it serves as a better lead in to that grand crescendo.

• Thanks 1

This is a pretty thing. Give it a try.

///

• Like 1

TAP, if yer around, que pensez vou de ceci. Il me fait penser a une petit chanson d'enfant dont vous m'avez fait connaitre il y a une fois. Oui?

Always reminds me of The Shanghai Gesture.

22 hours ago, laffite said:

TAP, if yer around, que pensez vou de ceci. Il me fait penser a une petit chanson d'enfant dont vous m'avez fait connaitre il y a une fois. Oui?

Mon ami, peut-etre il y avait un longtemps--sais pas?

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Mon ami, peut-etre il y avait un longtemps--sais pas?

I looked it up and found it. Sur le pont, l'Avignon. It's similar, not exact, not at all. Merci!

2 hours ago, laffite said:

I looked it up and found it. Sur le pont, l'Avignon. It's similar, not exact, not at all. Merci!

I thought you must be referring to that. I couldn't hear it at all.

Ironically the only thing I heard was maybe a theme from Haydn.

I loved the Arias you did on "Tosca". I never could decide if "Turandot" or "Tosca" was my favorite Opera.

Not caring much for opera, I do like some of the overtures.  like...

Sepiatone

Wake up ... you're on your way to Heaven.

(Give this at least 5 minutes of your attention. You may never get another chance at this.

• Like 1

Nice interpretation.  I've had a copy of Daphnis and Chloe in either vinyl or CD( and now both) for over 40 years.  Love that work.  Mine are ORMANDY w/the Philadelphia orch.   

And too, both vinyl and CD of this.---

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Having breakfast one fine morning at Monte Carlo. "What shall we do today, dear?"

• Like 1

Aucassin et Nicolette, a medieval love story

The two lovers have many adventures alone before they finally get together to live happily ever after.

^ I can hear where GYORGY LIGETI got some of his ideas.

RAVEL is my favorite with VLADO PERLEMUTER at piano (there are two extant recordings of RAVEL's oevre for piano, 1961 and 1977).  This late era live recording even has a misstep or two on the way to perfection. 

Vlado Perlemuter plays Ravel Gaspard de la nuit (June 1991) - I. Ondine

On 7/3/2020 at 11:18 PM, laffite said:

Aucassin et Nicolette, a medieval love story

The two lovers have many adventures alone before they finally get together to live happily ever after.

Mon cher ami-- You're the first person that I've met in a long time who knows the story of

"Aucassin et Nicolette".

I had the unique displeasure of having actually read this fable in old French.

The only other medieval work I've ever read in French is " La chanson de Roland " and it's not half as delightful. :huh:

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Mon cher ami-- You're the first person that I've met in a long time who knows the story of

"Aucassin et Nicolette".

I had the unique displeasure of having actually read this fable in old French.

The only other medieval work I've ever read in French is " La chanson de Roland " and it's not half as delightful. :huh:

Ouch, old French. Displeasure, indeed. I read excerpts in modern French but it had an old sort of way about it. Aucassin kept saying how he loved Nicolette "...ma douce amie que j'aime tant." About a million times. I wish I could find that version again. Maybe I'll look for it. It reads rather cute and with a quaint Medieval flavor to it. the music above is clearly modern but I think I can hear lovers by the names of Aucassin et Nicolette.

• Like 1

This piece of religious music is devout and it is also a toe tapper to those so inclined. Oh, Vivaldi!