Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nimrod - Enigma Variations, ElgarA couple of years ago, after many years of neglect, I started playing cello again. I've been playing in a community orchestra, which has been fun, time-consuming, stressful, and educational. One of the great things about it is the exposure to pieces I didn't know. One of my favorite discoveries in our repertory was the Nimrod movement from Elgar's Enigma Variations. The back story is also beautiful: Elgar had been suffering from depression, and his friend Jager (German for "hunter") encouraged him to compose again. This movement was a tribute to his friend, as Nimrod was described in the Bible as a hunter. The music does sound like someone overcoming a dark period. I must add that I have really loved playing with an orchestra again. Here's Nimrod, and I hope I have managed to embed this correctly:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sUgoBb8m1eE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oops, can someone tell me how to embed in here?

Trying again with a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUgoBb8m1eE

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, RosieSayer said:

Nimrod - Enigma Variations, ElgarA couple of years ago, after many years of neglect, I started playing cello again. I've been playing in a community orchestra, which has been fun, time-consuming, stressful, and educational. One of the great things about it is the exposure to pieces I didn't know. One of my favorite discoveries in our repertory was the Nimrod movement from Elgar's Enigma Variations. The back story is also beautiful: Elgar had been suffering from depression, and his friend Jager (German for "hunter") encouraged him to compose again. This movement was a tribute to his friend, as Nimrod was described in the Bible as a hunter. The music does sound like someone overcoming a dark period. I must add that I have really loved playing with an orchestra again. Here's Nimrod, and I hope I have managed to embed this correctly:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sUgoBb8m1eE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oops, can someone tell me how to embed in here?

Trying again with a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUgoBb8m1eE

Rosie, I'm so glad that you have taken up the cello again. I am trying to do something similar after leaving the piano after many years.

Your post reminded me of a wonderful recording I had years ago of Jacqueline Du Pre' playing the Elgar Cello Concerto.

many thanks

10 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

Rosie, I'm so glad that you have taken up the cello again. I am trying to do something similar after leaving the piano after many years.

Your post reminded me of a wonderful recording I had years ago of Jacqueline Du Pre' playing the Elgar Cello Concerto.

many thanks

It's never too late to take up music, or take it up again. I think it's one of the most rewarding ways to spend one's time. You will reward not only yourself but others, too!

Du Pré was responsible for making that concerto much better known as a result of her recording it in the 1960s.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 9/8/2018 at 3:02 PM, RosieSayer said:

It's never too late to take up music, or take it up again. I think it's one of the most rewarding ways to spend one's time. You will reward not only yourself but others, too!

Du Pré was responsible for making that concerto much better known as a result of her recording it in the 1960s.

I agree 100%.    My brother is finally learning to play the guitar and he finding it rewarding.    He got over the initial stage many people go through (and end up quitting) to where he can play some tunes.

• 10 months later...

Interesting.  And too.....

But this perspective is one I heard in a high school classroom...  FF 15 min. to hear the narrative explanation of how this recording was done.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

This is hands down in my opinion of course, the best concerto by Vivaldi

Andante from Antonio Vivaldi Concerto a due Chori in B-flat Major "Con Violino Discordato"

It's a piece you don't hear often since most folks are more familiar with his Four Seasons

• Thanks 1

Y'know....good point!

There's many very good works composed by those who sadly get generally recognized for only one or two by the general public.  For example----

Many will go on and on about DEBUSSY's CLAIR de LUNE or AFTERNOON OF A FAUN, but how many are familiar with these two favorites of mine?----

or......

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

how can I post classical music when I'm not familiar with it so I'll post film music on a par with or better than it.

:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c45k-j3K4tM

When I was a kid, I took classical piano lessons. To better understand that I went to the public library and checked out records of classical music.

Today life is so much easier. If you're interested in classical music all you have to do is go on YouTube and request something by Beethoven, Mozart or Brahms. Or you can even listen to a beautiful operatic Aria sung by Pavarotti.

It's never too late to listen to good music.

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

When I was a kid, I took classical piano lessons. To better understand that I went to the public library and checked out records of classical music.

Today life is so much easier. If you're interested in classical music all you have to do is go on YouTube and request something by Beethoven, Mozart or Brahms. Or you can even listen to a beautiful operatic Aria sung by Pavarotti.

It's never too late to listen to good music.

It's probably easier to start with the "warhorses",  like Beethoven's 5th,  Brahms' 2nd  , Holst's "The Planets" and such and work your way up.  Too bad there's a current lack of  music shops and classical music radio stations as they were good sources of information and suggestions to me when I started getting serious about learning the classical music world.  

Sepiatone

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

It's probably easier to start with the "warhorses",  like Beethoven's 5th,  Brahms' 2nd  , Holst's "The Planets" and such and work your way up.  Too bad there's a current lack of  music shops and classical music radio stations as they were good sources of information and suggestions to me when I started getting serious about learning the classical music world.  

Sepiatone

I prefer Brahms 3rd. LOL

• Haha 1

I’ve been getting into this one recently. I knew the tune, but up until a few months ago, I had no idea about the composer or the title or anything!

23 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I prefer Brahms 3rd. LOL

Well, remember PRINCESS, it's the 2nd that the ever so popular "Lullaby" melody comes from.  ;)   And that familiarity might help draw some in.   As too, depending on one's age, the familiarity of...

ROSSINI'S "William Tell Overture" because of.....

Or this light classical piece by E. G. White  from '34  because of......

Sepiatone