Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bummer! No Crawford day this month.

carrowsboy

Nice Avatar!!!!!!

Ps- I seem to recall our girl Joan being honored two Summer under the Starses in a row. She was also the star of the month in January 2015.

So, you know, it's not like she's under represented.

Nice avatar, indeed. That's Joanie in bed receiving her Oscar for MP because she too chicken to attend for fear that ole Bette might win, or some such thing. That's okay, Joanie.

:wub:

--

Lorna, please permit me to correct you, it was January 2014 I do believe. I remember because after watching a lot I became a Joan Crawford fan. I particularly liked the later films, 1947-53 ca. (but others as well).

Thanks.

I'm also bummed that Broderick Crawford is not getting a day this month.

Yeah, Rich. And maybe that kid who kept sayin' "My Pa is the best shot in all of North Folk with that rifle of his!"

(...or then again, maybe not, huh)

You know who is really bummed? George Brent. :rolleyes:

I didn't get to like Joan Crawford much until I watched her earlier work, where she seemed more human.

Same here.    While I discovered Bette Davis from her early films (e.g. Marked Women,  when I was on my 'everything and anything with Bogart kick),    I was first exposed to Crawford later films.     Some of these were fine (e.g.  the noirs),  but what really got me to like her were her 30s films. 

I'm also bummed that Broderick Crawford is not getting a day this month.

Seriously Thor - -

Brod Crawford is truly one of my favorite actors.

Sometimes the actors who are not romantic favorites do not get all the credit they deserve for their artistic abilities and versatility.

Full disclosure here-- I've seen every episode of Highway Patrol.

Brod made a film with Fellini that is totally fascinating--IL Bidone.

Other terrific noir type movies from the 50's--

Big House USA

New York Confidential

Not as a Stranger

Scandal Sheet

40's--

The Black Cat-- shows his Flair for comedy

30's--

Slightly Honorable-- murder mystery that gives a comedic frame to a serious drama

I know that everyone here has had an opportunity to see All the King's Men and Born Yesterday. These are Stellar performances by Brod Crawford, but he has so much more to offer.

Hopefully these few films will entice you to check out Brod on IMDb because there's so much more there.

I'll leave you with a quote that the Crawford, Joan fans will understand--

" This man is dangerous." LOL

• Like 2

Al

Seriously Thor - -

Brod Crawford is truly one of my favorite actors.
Sometimes the actors who are not romantic favorites do not get all the credit they deserve for their artistic abilities and versatility.

Full disclosure here-- I've seen every episode of Highway Patrol.

Brod made a film with Fellini that is totally fascinating--IL Bidone.

Other terrific noir type movies from the 50's--

Big House USA
New York Confidential
Not as a Stranger
Scandal Sheet

40's--
The Black Cat-- shows his Flair for comedy

30's--
Slightly Honorable-- murder mystery that gives a comedic frame to a serious drama

I know that everyone here has had an opportunity to see All the King's Men and Born Yesterday. These are Stellar performances by Brod Crawford, but he has so much more to offer.

Hopefully these few films will entice you to check out Brod on IMDb because there's so much more there.

I'll leave you with a quote that the Crawford, Joan fans will understand--

" This man is dangerous." LOL

Also THE MOB, with Broderick Crwford

Yeah, Rich. And maybe that kid who kept sayin' "My Pa is the best shot in all of North Folk with that rifle of his!"

(...or then again, maybe not, huh)

Uh, that's North FORK, Darg!

PRINCESS, no shame in seeing all those HIGHWAY PATROL episodes.  I used to watch it almost religiously too! 

Broderick Crawford is ANOTHER one of those "stars" I first knew from their TV work long before I ever knew they used to make movies.  Like(I stated in another thread) LUCILLE BALL  and...

LLOYD BRIDGES

LORETTA YOUNG

ROBERT YOUNG

ANDY GRIFFITH

JOHN FORSYTH

RAY WALSTON

BILL BIXBY

SPRING BYINGTON

HARRY MORGAN

JACK WEBB

BARBARA HALE

RAYMOND BURR

HARRIETT NELSON( as Harriett Hilliard)

The GUNSMOKE crew...

JAMES ARNESS

MILBURN STONE

DENNIS WEAVER

AMANDA BLAKE

And the Mertzs'

WILLIAM FRAWLEY

VIVIAN VANCE  plus

FRED MacMURRAY

WILLIAM DEMAREST

And many others I'm sure, but can't bring to mind at the moment.

I once tried a thread to address this sort of thing, and as usual, everyone went off on tangents...

Sepiatone

Uh, that's North FORK, Darg!

PRINCESS, no shame in seeing all those HIGHWAY PATROL episodes.  I used to watch it almost religiously too! 

Broderick Crawford is ANOTHER one of those "stars" I first knew from their TV work long before I ever knew they used to make movies.  Like(I stated in another thread) LUCILLE BALL  and...

LLOYD BRIDGES

LORETTA YOUNG

ROBERT YOUNG

ANDY GRIFFITH

JOHN FORSYTH

RAY WALSTON

BILL BIXBY

SPRING BYINGTON

HARRY MORGAN

JACK WEBB

BARBARA HALE

RAYMOND BURR

HARRIETT NELSON( as Harriett Hilliard)

The GUNSMOKE crew...

JAMES ARNESS

MILBURN STONE

DENNIS WEAVER

AMANDA BLAKE

And the Mertzs'

WILLIAM FRAWLEY

VIVIAN VANCE  plus

FRED MacMURRAY

WILLIAM DEMAREST

And many others I'm sure, but can't bring to mind at the moment.

I once tried a thread to address this sort of thing, and as usual, everyone went off on tangents...

Sepiatone

Crawford was a natural for noirs. He should have done more of them.

• Like 1

Nice avatar, indeed. That's Joanie in bed receiving her Oscar for MP because she too chicken to attend for fear that ole Bette might win, or some such thing. That's okay, Joanie.

:wub:

Lorna, please permit me to correct you, it was January 2014 I do believe. I remember because after watching a lot I became a Joan Crawford fan. I particularly liked the later films, 1947-53 ca. (but others as well).

Thanks.

Dang time flies! (and thanks for the correction.)

And for the record, Bette Davis was not nominated in 1945, although her vehicle THE CORN IS GREEN actually outgrossed MILDRED by a fair amount. The other nominees were Ingrid Bergman (who many, including Joan herself, felt would win two-in-a-row for THE BELLS OF SAINT MARY'S (the #1 film of the year, I think), Gene Tierney in LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN (which was the 2nd biggest box office hit of the year) and (just along for the ride) Jennifer Jones in LOVE LETTERS and Greer Garson in THE VALLEY OF DECISION (which was, I think, the 5th highest grosser of the year.)

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings