Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Loveland

Carioca

Several years ago there was an early b&w musical shown frequently on AMC or TCM that ended with a big production number with dancers placed on a tiered stage like a wedding cake, and the song went something like

There will be

a bluebird waiting for me

a bluebird waiting for me

in loveland

I thought it was in Evergreen with Jessie Matthews, but I just watched a DVD of it and that song wasn't there. Any idea what movie it might have been in?

Gasp! Evergreen is on DVD? This is a movie that I've always wanted to see. I had no idea it was available. I've never had the opportunity to view it and have suggested it a couple of times to TCM. I'll have to elevate my begging. I look forward to seeing Jessie Matthews on the screen one day...

I bought the DVD of Evergreen on eBay several months ago in good faith, but was too busy to watch it and so I set it aside. When I opened it last night I suspected from the packaging and image on the cover that the seller had burned a copy from another source, maybe even TV, because after it ended there was an image of a movie marquee with "Now Playing" and some titles on it. I seem to remember seeing this at the end of other movies I have watched on TV but can't remember which channel uses it.

I am opposed to bootlegs, but I'm not sure if this qualifies or not. In any case, I doubt I could return it at this late date. It did play OK and seemed to be complete.

Carioca

Jack, you simply must hear Jessie sing "Daddy Wouldn't Buy Me a Bow-Wow" in her music-hall incarnation, and "Dancing on the Ceiling" in her modern one. Sheer bliss...

Carioca, I love your name! I chose mine, "Ayres," because that's Astaire's character's name (Fred Ayres) in that movie.

Oh Ms. Ayres, you have no idea how strongly I long to see the legendary dance number, "Dancing on the Ceiling". This is one of those segments that I've heard about for decades, I have stills from it, but I've never had the opportunity to see the movie, nor even a film clip from it. I've never heard any of the Rodgers and Hart score. I'm surprised you didn't mention "Over My Shoulder". Do you remember it? Apparently, when Victor Saville and Emlyn Williams adapted the hit stage musical, they needed some additional material and Rodgers and Hart weren't available. So Harry Woods was hired to write "Over My Shoulder" -- the finale from Evergreen -- and this became Jessie Matthews' signature song.

And I've never heard of the delightfully entitled "Daddy Wouldn't Buy Me a Bow-Wow"! Was this one of the Rodgers and Hart numbers, or a Harry Woods? Thank for the glimpses that you've given me to one of my holy grail movies!