Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is" Gone with the Wind "an anti - war film ?

ken123

Do the scenes in Atlanta of death and destruction make GWTTW an anti - war film. It certainly has had a powerful effect on me every time that I have seen it, and I just " watched " the DVD commentary, on the 4 - disc edition, Wednesday night. The scenes at Tara after Scarlet's return are also horrifying

You made a very good point that it could be A anti war film.I think the title pretty much says it all. the devasting effects it has on people of not having homes losing their loved ones fighting against other americans in your own country. Also considering the time it was made and when it was released especially what was going on in Europe.

Christine

no i do not think gone with the wind is an anti-war film so much .

i think maybe it deals with the historical effects that the war had

and it does give us some details about the horrors and poverty

of war. but as far as making a statement, i dont think so.

Message was edited by:

t1953

Ken I think the movie dealt with the South's viewpoint ( And History also) of their right to have slaves was in jeopardy by the North's attitude for their freedom. To this day there were more Americans killed during the four years or so battles of the Civil War than any other War we were involved in.

I agree that it is in essence a soap opera... it may "tower" over other movies in terms of its production values and running time, but would otherwise be rather unremarkable, aside from its fine cast.

Of course, we have to remember that many still consider 1939 to be Hollywood's finest year ever, and GWTW and The Wizard of Oz are among the ones that remain the most popular to this day...

I don't know about others, but my idea of anti-war movies is more along the lines of Dr. Strangelove, Oh, What a Lovely War!, Coming Home or Born on the Fourth of July

> I don't know about others, but my idea of anti-war

> movies is more along the lines of Dr.

> Strangelove, Oh, What a Lovely War!,

> Coming Home or Born on the Fourth of

> July

Or "All Quiet on the Western Front." I own the DVD, but I went to a screening at the National Gallery of Art a few months ago. After it was over the audience filed out of the theater looking stunned. It remains an incredibly powerful statement.

No, Gone with the Wind is a representation of the Pro-southern consensus that started with the end of Reconstruction in 1876, really took off with the crushing of populists and African-American voting in 1896, and which lasted until the eighties or so. To the extent that the southerners sought to divide the union, they were wrong. And to the extent that "northerners" sought to protect the rights of African-americans they were wrong. Both sides are "equally" right and wrong. The devastation and death of the war are really an elaborate special effect, and an opportunity for Scarlet O'Hara to show her strength. It is not meant to criticize war in general, and certainly the movies many admirers had little problem accepting future wars. The movie is sentimental and a tribute to Americans' failure to deal with slavery honestly. It is also interminable and the last hour proceeds rather muddily with people dying right and left. But Vivian Leigh does give a striking peformance.