Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do I create an avatar?

sewhite2000

Okay, I see where you're supposed to be able to upload a photo, but all my attempts to do so end in failure. It says I've uploaded a file but my avatar doesn't change. Man, this is making me feel computer stupid.

Under photo editor, it says "Use a custom photo" then underneath that "Upload from file". So, I click on the box that says "Choose File". A box with all my photos pops up. I select the jpg I want so that its file name appears in the box labeled "File Name". Then, I click "Open". The file name now appears underneath the words "Upload from File". But my avatar is still blank. I can't figure out anything to click on or manipulate to make an actual photo appear in my avatar box. So frustrating. Battling urge to take a hammer to my computer.

Alternately, I have also tried the option that says "Import photo from a URL" with, oh, about two hundred different photos now. But every time, I am told "Could not save the URL image specified".

I took a look at the pic I uploaded and it has a .jpg extension, size is 91 x 79 pixels.  File size is 14.4 kB.

Instructions say: Max file size 50KB.
Once uploaded, you can adjust the cropped image.
Recommend an image 200px or larger

So have a look at your image properties and see that they fit the guidelines. (In your browser you should be able to right-click on the image and then click on Properties or Image Properties)  It is not clear on which file types (eg. .jpg, .png, .gif, etc) are allowed.

All the photos I'm trying to use fit the guidelines. They're well under the max file size, and they're all at least 200 px. They're all jpg's, and you say that's what you used. But when I click on "Choose File", it only shows me the file name. It does not make the photo appear in my avatar box. I feel like I"m doing everything you did, but it doesn't work for me.

I found another thread where people are having the same problem:

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/53549-cant-upload-a-profile-picture/

On June 7, 2015, a TCM Moderator posted that at the present time, it was impossible to upload a photo directly from your computer to your avatar box and that you would have to upload it to an image hosting site instead. It appears this must still be the case on August 4, 2016. Then you can copy and paste the URL from your account on that site.

Okay this image hosting site stuff is new to me. It appears Photobucket is free. I have to get an account and all that. It's more steps than I really wanted to go through, but I'll consider it.

Thanks for the info, guys. Probably just gonna stick with silhouette for now, but I think I know how to do it now if I change my mind in the future.

Just don't post a photo of yourself, unless, of course, you are really Salma Hayek.

• Like 1

Hosting your own photo can be tough for a newbie.

Why not go look for a photo you like on the internet? Just as long as it's relatively small and has the .jpg extension. One of my favorite movie star photo sites is Dr Macro's (as is Dargos) They are copywrite free images.

http://www.doctormacro.com/Galleries.htm

You can search by name then use the thumbnails-they're the right size for an avatar. No need to d/l a big dense photo.

On a Mac you can just hover your cursor over the photo, click with your mouse to "open image in other window". The URL addy for the photo is in the address bar. Highlight the address, copy and paste it into the silhouette avatar space.

Chaney%20Sr.,%20Lon%20(Phantom%20of%20th

Dr Macro RULES!

I often d/l the large version of photos and have them printed on glossy photographic paper for framing or home made cards & magnets.

• 3 weeks later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings