Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anyone else getting widescreen movies today?

clore

The short that preceded BLACK MOON as well as the film itself are showing up on my screen from edge-to-edge and top-to-bottom. Being 4:3 films, they should have the black bars on the side. Last night I was getting Bing Crosby movies in window-boxed form and they also should have been 4:3 as that was the production standard of the period.

The image for BLACK MOON appears to be stretched to fill the screen as opposed to being zoomed-and-cropped, Somebody is hitting the wrong buttons - a summer intern?

The short that preceded BLACK MOON as well as the film itself are showing up on my screen from edge-to-edge and top-to-bottom. Being 4:3 films, they should have the black bars on the side. Last night I was getting Bing Crosby movies in window-boxed form and they also should have been 4:3 as that was the production standard of the period.

The image for BLACK MOON appears to be stretched to fill the screen as opposed to being zoomed-and-cropped, Somebody is hitting the wrong buttons - a summer intern?

Whaddaya talkin' 'bout here, clore?!

I never have this problem with my trusty old 21in Zenith console TV!

(...it's a color set TOO, and so "Bonanza" always comes in lookin' real good especially...although a good antenna up on the roof is always the key in THIS case, of course) 

;)

clore--I missed the short.  But on "Black Moon", I have the same thing--picture from top to bottom, no black bars.  The proportions are off--can't tell if it's a technical problem or just tricky photography--maybe both?   I'm happy the movie is being shown.

Typical Murphy's Law situation - I am recording this movie, so naturally there is a problem with it. The last time that I tried, I got the "this is a test screech" ruining my recording.

I posted to Time Warner's site also, just to see if anyone there is sleeping on the job.

• Like 2

Typical Murphy's Law situation - I am recording this movie, so naturally there is a problem with it. The last time that I tried, I got the "this is a test screech" ruining my recording.

I posted to Time Warner's site also, just to see if anyone there is sleeping on the job.

Sorry to interrupt here again clore(but don't worry the following ISN'T another little comedy bit here), but your "Murphy's Law" reference reminded me of just the other night when while attempting to record THE DARK CORNER during Lucy's SUTS tribute and so I could watch the news instead at that time, MY damn cable company interrupted all the channels with one of those "Severe Weather Warnings", and in which the picture first goes blank, followed by this annoying screeching siren sound, and then some guy's voice telling us about the potential flash flood locations to be wary of around here in northern AZ during our monsoon season. This goes on for about a minute or so, and then they return to the regular programming.

(...wouldn't ya think they could just run some kind of ticker at the bottom of the screen for this?!)

• Like 2

THE CLAIRVOYANT is the third film in a row to air in TCM's new "widescreen for everyone" process. The good days are really over, I fail to see one department that isn't suffering over staff cutbacks.

Except for the promo department, they've got lots to do and they do it well. But Tiffany's promo has to go. That bit about her practicing the intros in the shower and her circuitous and nonsensical comment about TCM and social media just show that it's not just the on-air talent who aren't ready for prime time.

• Like 1

THE CLAIRVOYANT is the third film in a row to air in TCM's new "widescreen for everyone" process. The good days are really over, I fail to see one department that isn't suffering over staff cutbacks.

Except for the promo department, they've got lost to do and they do it well. But Tiffany's promo has to go. That bit about her practicing the intros in the shower and her circuitous and nonsensical comment about TCM and social media just show that it's not just the on-air talent who aren't ready for prime time.

I'm going to check my TCM channels. Now you've got me concerned.

The movie is playing fine here, on both HD and SD channels, at the proper 4:3 aspect, with no distortion. I have Comcast cable.

I'm going to check my TCM channels. Now you've got me concerned.

The movie is playing fine here, on both HD and SD channels, at the proper 4:3 aspect, with no distortion. I have Comcast cable.

I no longer have the option of SD and HD channels on my Time Warner system. I can trip a setting on the box to switch from 480i to 1080i. This comes in handy as recording a 4:3 movie from a 1080i transmission results in a windowboxed movie on a DVD. If I make the switch, the 4:3 film fills the screen from top-to-bottom.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings