Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE WEDDING MARCH (1928) on TCM Tonight in Prime Time!

gagman66

I sincerely hope this will be a brand new restoration or print transfer. I'm not expecting that to be the case. To the best of my knowledge, no version of this film has been shown on TCM before. For that matter, it has only aired twice in two different versions on American TV in the past 38 years! Those telecasts were on Public Television in 1978 and 1999 respectively. So please appreciate how rare this broadcast airing at 8:00 PM Eastern/7:00 Central time truly is! Thank you TCM! 

12472493_10210493038632469_8029865627702
  • Like 4

A question: According to the ending credits,this was a 1998 Library of Congress Restoration.  Is there a newer Restoration available?

The one I saw was in relatively good shape, but the picture got fuzzy and then snapped back into focus several times--that's why I ask.

Regardless, Thank You TCM for showing this film. :)

This version was produced by Kevin Brownlow and Patrick Stanberry's Photoplay Productions in 1998, first airing in July of that year on Britain's Channel Four. I was very pleased to see it shown for the first time on TCM. However the film transfer from a battered and less then ideally processed black and white safety print was actually made about 1989 or so. No first generation prints are known to exist. This looks to amount to about 5th generation. Except for the Technicolor sequence. The sequel (actually shot as the same film) to the story THE HONEYMOON as Ben noted, is considered lost entirely. A more recent transfer from only a few years ago has seen a few live screenings. I have heard there is some improvement. However, the same heavily compromised materials are still the only base master that is known.

Criterion leased the rights to THE WEDDING MARCH from Paramount nearly a decade ago. That long awaited Ultimate Edition has yet to come to pass. If it ever is released I have no idea if it will have the Carl Davis score or the original J. S. Zamecnik Movie-tone track which survives and I have heard. The two scores couldn't be any more different, though both are equally spectacular. No official version of the film has ever been issued on DVD.

• Like 4

I admit I only took an interest because I never knew FAY WRAY had made any silents.

And I STILL see a strong resemblance between a young Fay and actress CHRISTINA APPLEGATE when SHE was about in her 20's.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings