Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Petition Asking TCM to Re-focus on pre-1960 Films

Kobil

If you would like to see TCM show more films from before 1960, please sign this petition:

This is a petition to ask you to reconsider your position on broadcasting post-1960 films. We, the viewers, feel that recently TCM has deviated from its original mission to televize films from the classic era of Hollywood (1913-1960). We watch TCM as it is the only channel that is solely dedicated to showing films from this period- however well-known or obscure. If it weren't for TCM, it would be impossible to view many of these rare films, as many of them have not been released on DVD. In her autobiography 'The Million Dollar Mermaid', Esther Williams credits Ted Turner with preserving her legacy. Without TCM, she feared that future generations would not remember her. When TCM premiered in 1994, it made a commitment to honor those legacies. We therefore request that TCM remove all post-1960 films from its programming. Thank you for considering our request.

Sign here:

https://www.change.org/p/turner-classic-movies-tcm-stick-to-your-original-mission-remove-all-post-1960-films-from-your-schedule

Ted Turner purchased the MGM/UA library catalogue of films up to 1986. So he knew when he created and launched TCM in 1994 there were going to be plenty of post-1960 films airing on his channel.

I think people who sign this petition need to realize TCM has been fair in showing films across many decades. I don't see them ever turning away from the pre-1960 stuff, or turning away from the post-1960 stuff. They strive for balance in their programming that reflects all of Hollywood's history.

The legacy of Esther Williams and many others will undoubtedly remain intact.

• Like 3

No.

When TCM started in 1994, films from 1960 (the end-date you ascribed) were 34 years old.

In 2016, a movie made in 1982 is 34 years old. 

Time progresses, as do films and TV channels. 

All of that said, how many films from 1960 or earlier are shown every day, percentage wise? 50%? 75%? More?

So, no, TCM is doing fine as is, to my tastes. Widen the variety, but I don't care if they show a film from 2002 followed by one from 1932, then 1982, then 1942. If they are showing something you don't like, find something else to do for 2 hours.

• Like 7

Usually the people who complain about TCM showing post-60 stuff are the ones who wish the production code was still being enforced. They want movies without swearing and sex and violence to be the only thing TCM ever airs. Of course, they conveniently overlook the fact films from 1929 to 1934 have a lot of suggestive dialogue and sex in them. Or that post-war noir from the late 40s and early 50s has a lot of violence.

• Like 3

If you would like to see TCM show more films from before 1960, please sign this petition:

This is a petition to ask you to reconsider your position on broadcasting post-1960 films. We, the viewers, feel that recently TCM has deviated from its original mission to televize films from the classic era of Hollywood (1913-1960). We watch TCM as it is the only channel that is solely dedicated to showing films from this period- however well-known or obscure. If it weren't for TCM, it would be impossible to view many of these rare films, as many of them have not been released on DVD. In her autobiography 'The Million Dollar Mermaid', Esther Williams credits Ted Turner with preserving her legacy. Without TCM, she feared that future generations would not remember her. When TCM premiered in 1994, it made a commitment to honor those legacies. We therefore request that TCM remove all post-1960 films from its programming. Thank you for considering our request.

Sign here:

https://www.change.org/p/turner-classic-movies-tcm-stick-to-your-original-mission-remove-all-post-1960-films-from-your-schedule

Looks like you never read TCM's main objective during the 1994-1995 time period.  I think you only want Studio Era films.  TCM is not a Studio Era channel.  I'm reposting this, if you notice they stated films recent as the 1980's  will be presented, the schedule was made in 1995. - only a decade difference.  This will change with time.

65xxqo.jpg

• Like 6

I'm reposting this, if you notice they stated films recent as the 1980's  will be presented., the schedule was made in 1995 . - only a decade difference.  

That's because Turner had acquired stuff up through '86. So they were definitely going to use all the titles he purchased.

I agree-- TCM was never intended to be a studio era channel. The old AMC was, but not TCM. 

Ted Turner purchased the MGM/UA library catalogue of films up to 1986. So he knew when he created and launched TCM in 1994 that there were going to be plenty of post-1960 films airing on his channel.

I think people who sign this petition need to realize that TCM has been fair in showing films across many decades. I don't see them ever turning away from the pre-1960 stuff, or turning away from the post-1960 stuff. They strive for balance in their programming that reflects all of Hollywood's history.

The legacy of Esther Williams and many others will undoubtedly remain intact.

Tcm could be fairer this upcoming christopher lee SOTM cycle by showing the BFI restored print of Hammer Studio's Dracula complete with the original british embelished title and sunlight disintegration demise of count dracula...

and the longer and superior british cut of william cameron menzies' invaders from mars would be nice too.

and please take note, both pre-1960.

tcm, get cracking...and kindly be smart about it. pip! pip! cheerio! :)

• Like 3

Wow, there's a big difference between "refocusing" and removing ALL post-1960 films! Any chance you might revise or soften your hardline goals? There are plenty of opportunities for you to watch the kinds of movies you want on TCM. Why do you want to ruin the network for everyone else? I acknowledge TCM doesn't always show stuff that appeals to me. I just don't watch those nights. I think the more viewers TCM can make happy, the better a chance it has to stay on the air. Frankly, I think if you got your way, you would ultimately kill the network.

The very first day TCM was on the air Robert Osborne said the network would sometimes show "the films of today". There's this myth that keeps getting perpetuated by first-time-ever posters who rarely if ever post again (the same person over and over year after year?) that there's been some deviation from the network's original intent. But this myth is a lie. 

We haven't had a thread like this in a while. I hope that means they're slowly disappearing.

• Like 7

Sorry can't support this.

There are a lot of great post-1960 movies that I love and would have never seen were it not for TCM.

I like TCM's willingness to show films from all eras, genres, etc. People complain about repetition of titles now, just think how it'd be if TCM were suddenly prevented from showing 50+ years of film history.

I am not part of the "we" in your petition.

• Like 5

The very first day TCM was on the air Robert Osborne said the network would sometimes show "the films of today". There's this myth that keeps getting perpetuated by first-time-ever posters who rarely if ever post again (the same person over and over year after year?) that there's been some deviation from the network's original intent. But this myth is a lie. 

Excellent post. Couldn't have said it better.

Nah, I'm not signing.  Some of the petitioners comments are hand wringing lamentations suggesting that their beloved films are being destroyed and will never be available for viewing.  I have no sympathy.   I want TCM to show Fame, Flashdance, Footloose and Ferris, in that order.

• Like 1

While I admire your dedication (if not your facts, and certainly pre-2000 movies have disappeared everywhere else), in my day, Johnny, Change.org was called "PetitionOnline.com", and it was the quickest route to having one's face laughed in by the entire Internet.

This issue has already been addressed in an earlier thread about net-petitions:

They don't work.  NOBODY in charge uses the Internet.  If you've got a grievance, you take it to the man's doorstep, because they're too lazy to go anywhere else.

It was true twenty years ago, and it's true today.  You're lucky to find an exec with a Facebook page and will have better luck buttonholing him there about it, than any hope of a net-petition that lies in a forgotten corner and still hopes to get some Likes two or three years from now.

(I could go into historical speculation about what first caused fans to start up the big wildfire trend of fan-petitions--If my theory's right, it was back in 1999, when the Internet was first catching fire, the DVD-vs.-DiVX fan war was causing paranoia about studio execs, especially among Lucas fans, and anime was just taking hold in pop culture.  It's not 1999, and I ain't partying.

When petitions didn't work, they moved, Trump-style, to "Fan class-action lawsuits" in '00-'01--hoping those would get more immediate and effective results that would actually be enforced--and now services like Netflix and Hulu actually ask you to sign a waiver stating that you won't class-action sue them anymore.)

roy cronin

Nah, I'm not signing.  Some of the petitioners comments are hand wringing lamentations suggesting that their beloved films are being destroyed and will never be available for viewing.  I have no sympathy.   I want TCM to show Fame, Flashdance, Footloose and Ferris, in that order.

Um, they'll show Fame as a pre-1986 MGM film, but the other three F's are Paramount films--

They might be part of the package of 80's Paramounts that was orphaned off to Warner, but given how much Paramount's Fathom screenings pimp Footloose and Ferris as "The only movies to ever come out of the 80's", I don't think you're in any danger of missing them any time soon.

Any other movies from the decade, however, I worry about.  But I save my handwringing for the blog.

Sign here:

To honor our late Fred C. Dobbs, to whom this issue was near and dear, the petition should be called the Fred C. Dobbs Memorial Petition, and I'm not cracking wise.

• Like 1

I will happily sign a petition to the opposite effect-- I think there should be more films from the sixties and seventies (even the eighties!).  TCM is my favorite channel, but I the reason I love it is the films post-1960.  Please give me more, not less!

• Like 4

I will happily sign a petition to the opposite effect-- I think there should be more films from the sixties and seventies (even the eighties!).  TCM is my favorite channel, but I the reason I love it is the films post-1960.  Please give me more, not less!

Your post proves there are many people quite satisfied with TCM's current programming. 

I wish there was a sister channel that showed post-code 60's, 70's, 80, and 90's films, uncut, commercial-free, proper aspect, etc.

I would watch that one as much or more so, since I've already seen or have taped a large part of the current TCM fare.

• Like 3

Pre-1960 and post-1960 do not partition the set of all films, if I may use some mathematics here.

What about 1960 itself? That year featured the classic Esther and The King, with Richard Egan in a muscle shirt wrestling some oily dudes, and Joan Collins playing the shy retiring type. I demand TCM show this film. I may even start a petition.

• Like 5

I wish there was a sister channel that showed post-code 60's, 70's, 80, and 90's films, uncut, commercial-free, proper aspect, etc.

You cannot say "sister channel" as that is sexist. Try, perhaps, something gender neutral, like "sibling channel."

• Like 1

Hmm.  There is this unusual amount of data crunching I have done.  I don't have anything to prove or disprove, other than to track old movies on TCM.  I just wanted to see what it is they "are" doing and, as a courtesy to others, relay that information.

OP, click on my signature link and have a look at Reports #3 & #4.

Have a nice day everyone.

• Like 3

You cannot say "sister channel" as that is sexist. Try, perhaps, something gender neutral, like "sibling channel."

There always seemed to be some unwritten rule that when assigning gender to a genderless thing, like cars, boats, or even TV channels, always use the female. I'm not sure why, but a conspiracy-minded friend of mine once stated that it was because "women would complain if something were arbitrarily made male, but men don't care, so name it female to placate tha broads". I thought that was sexist. Not all broads think that way. ;)

• Like 2

We watch TCM as it is the only channel that is solely dedicated to showing films from this period- however well-known or obscure. If it weren't for TCM, it would be impossible to view many of these rare films, as many of them have not been released on DVD.

Sign here:

As we all know, this is not true at all. Because of the success of TCM, there are many other channels (many OTA and free) channels that show classic films.

Usually the people who complain about TCM showing post-60 stuff are the ones who wish the production code was still being enforced. They want movies without swearing and sex and violence to be the only thing TCM ever airs. Of course, they conveniently overlook the fact films from 1929 to 1934 have a lot of suggestive dialogue and sex in them. Or that post-war noir from the late 40s and early 50s has a lot of violence.

The code could be a thread in itself. But, what I dislike most about it is the restrictions, limitations that is caused. I hate censorship of any kind frankly. I could just imagine a programmer at TCM: "We would love to show this film but, it was released in 1962 so we are not allowed to "  :lol:

There are so many variations: Later films that were set in the classic era, sequels to films from the classic era etc... Film is an art form like any other. It should not be limited or boxed in. TCM should be free to show quality films of any era.

I would watch that one as much or more so, since I've already seen or have taped a large part of the current TCM fare.

Well, lets see how this new streaming venture turns out.

• Like 2

Hmm.  There is this unusual amount of data crunching I have done.  I don't have anything to prove or disprove, other than to track old movies on TCM.  I just wanted to see what it is they "are" doing and, as a courtesy to others, relay that information.

OP, click on my signature link and have a look at Reports #3 & #4.

Have a nice day everyone.

How dare you bring facts and figures into a discussion like this :P

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings