Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

February Schedule

nedsparx

I know TCM programmers regularly have to fend off fan worries that TCM is taking a turn for the lousy (ie AMC), but geez, could they possibly have hammered out a schedule more likely to incite those fears than Feb's? I always thought those worries were excessive, but this one's even scared me! What's going on here??? Is it a special "mediocre movies of the past 25 years" series? Are they trying to make a case for Joel Schumacher as auteur? Is "corporate pressure" being applied?

Of course, as everyone knows, the only reason people get so worked up about these things is because TCM is so wondrously good now, and because it seems so rare to have a fine thing survive unsoiled for long. I don't know if Feb is a trend-setting drag in the dirt, sure hope not.

Long-time viewers of TCM and long time posters of this board, all know that February is TCM's "31 Days of Oscar" salute.

So there is no giant conspiracy, corporate take over nor are they turning into Always More Commercials.

It's the Oscar salute. It's been with us from the beginning. Happens every year. In early March we will return to the regular programming format of TCM: all films from the 1920s-1980s.

This really needs a stickie each year.

Mr. Sparx -

Don't be too quick to break out the Rins-O. February is the beginning of the the Annual "31 Days Of Oscar" tribute when TCM pays tribute to Acadeny Award nominees and winners every hour, every day. It is a spotlight that has grown larger and wider to include more recent/contemporary films since the tribute first appeared on the schedule some years ago. (When was the first "31 Days... " tribute? The very first year?)

It is a much different line-up for 2007 but I wouldn't necessarily call it an aberration. If I was to offer a guess, I think TCM is going to put an emphisis on many of the technical categories - for the first time - during the primetime hours. I expect Special Effects, Cinematography, Set Design and Costume Design to be given the Robert Osborne treatment this year (along with the usual Actors, Director and Picture categories.) And I think that is new to the "31 Days..." evening schedule and theme-ing this year.

So, while it is jarring to see "Starship Troopers", "Starman", "Men In Black" and a couple of Batman films on TCM's schedule, there is usually a reasonable explanation. I could be wrong with my speculation - it has happened before - but I will say with a great deal certainty that TCM in March will be full of more of the films traditionally enjoyed on the channel. (And January looks pretty good as a month to stuff one's self if it looks like you might be fasting on the Febraury line-up.)

Kyle In Hollywood

Apparently, February is the most hated month every year. It's the month that they devote to the Oscars, and it's been riling the locals for sometime. So much so that many of the board members have come to expect it and greet it with a "February doesn't count -- it's always bad". We'll always have December and January...

Hi lzcutter and JackBurley -

How about the three of us sharing the "reply duties" to all the posts about February's schedule. No sense each of us jumping in every time. I'll take weekends and the two of you can divide up the weekdays. I'm thinking of writing a simple text message and leaving it on my desktop so I can quickly "copy and paste" the response on the many, many threads to come.

And no offense to Mr Sparx. You were very good at keeping the post about the programming and not seeing it as a sign of the apocalypse. I appreciate that. Hope you stick around and keep posting on other topics as well.

kjk

Ha-Ha-Ha . . . Au Contraire you three doomsayers!

I find February to be quite interesting. I look forward to Oscars month because they are generally good movies, as long as the 'music' such as last year isn't showcased, I'm happy. And speaking of music - Us musical lovers will be in 7th heaven on the 18th when the entire day is devoted to musicals, and those who haven't yet treated themselves to 'Flower Drum Song' can do so on the 19th.

I did find it quizzical that 02/22 is 'Best Dance Direction' yet the 4 movies shown in prime time are not dance movies. And I thank the powers that be that the 'American Beauty' piece of total trash is shown at 2:00 a.m when I will be sound asleep.

The Eddy Duchin Story sometime in mid-month, have to get the recorder ready for that one! I've seen it numerous times but never without commercials, can't wait!

There are very few I can live without such as 2001: A Space Odyssey, (such a bore!) Tootsie (again), and the aforementioned American Beauty (Ugh) I loved The Big Chill, have it on tape and watch it all the time, some of the lines and innuendos are priceless, and Bridges at Madison County is a terrific love story, though I wasn't that fond of it, I can see people loving it and rewatching. The original Men in Black was funny for the most part, it's like so many others, when they start with the parts 2, 3, and 4, or sequels that they get boring and repetitious.

So, I've gone through the whole month, and I'm looking forward to it. I hope others will also.

Anne

"It is a much different line-up for 2007 but I wouldn't necessarily call it an aberration. If I was to offer a guess, I think TCM is going to put an emphisis on many of the technical categories - for the first time - during the primetime hours. I expect Special Effects, Cinematography, Set Design and Costume Design to be given the Robert Osborne treatment this year (along with the usual Actors, Director and Picture categories.) And I think that is new to the "31 Days..." evening schedule and theme-ing this year."

I'm pretty sure they did this last year as well. I remember Fred joking that something they were showing was nominated for longest sideburns. It seemed like they were digging up any kind of nomination in order to show some of those movies. Looks like they did it again.

Looks like a good list of movies to me:

Shane (?Come back Shane.... come back.?)

Algiers (?Come with me to the Kasba.?)

Sweet Bird of Youth

The Barefoot Contessa

Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Hyde (1932) (Fredric Marsh version)

Lilies of the Field

The Spiral Staircase

Witness for the Prosecution

Harvey

Love Letters

Coquette (1929) (Mary Pickford?s first sound film.)

Lost Horizon

Green Dolphin Street

Mutiny on the Bounty (Gable version)

All Quiet on the Western Front

Wuthering Heights

Johnny Belinda

And many others.

WOW! My 2nd favorite month of the year on TCM (1st is 'Summer Under the Stars') and as usual, it'a a corker.

Other than the usual 'classic' staples I'm looking forward to:

***The High and the Mighty***Detective Story***The Killers***Queen Bee w/Crawford***Champion***They Shoot Horses, Don't They?***The Last Picture Show"***"The Last Angry Man" w/Muni***The Informer***20,000 Leagues Under the Sea***The Bachelor Party (1957)***Separate Tables***Since You Went Away***The Bridges of Madison County w/marvelous Meryl Streep***Min and Bill***Hud***The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1938)***Flower Drum Song***Pennies from Heaven(1981)***The Southerner***"The Greatest Show on Earth***Hondo***The Sniper***The Goddess***

And the award winning and nominated shorts, cartoons, and mini-interviews. All uncut and without commercials.

Also took note that the few 'newer' R-rated films are on late, late night. Have to record a few.

It might be a mixed bag, to be sure...

At any rate, I wouldn't worry too much about the long-term prospects of TCM. I think there's never been a better moment to have an outlet for classic films. Let's not forget that, as more and more baby boomers reach retirement age, more of them will be spending at least some of their leisure time watching movies, and many of them will appreciate having a channel that specializes in classic movies.

There's also quite a few of us Gen X'ers (I hope!) that appreciate classic cinema more with each passing year... I swear that with each passing year, current theatrical releases seem to get less and less appealing.

I think there's always going to be a space for classic movies, both on pay TV and on home video... and let's just wait until more classic movies become available on HD formats. It'll be well worth the wait, I think.

Kyle, Jack, and Liz--I think that it's a great idea for the three of you to take on the task of informing the newbies about the 31 Days of Oscar month! Thanks!

I actually enjoy the 31 Days of Oscar. True, there are always modern films shown, and less obscure gems, but I always record a TON of stuff! I am really looking forward to recording Harvey, I haven't seen that one in several years. And, I've never seen Shane, so I will be catching that one as well.

I'm definitely going to record American Beauty, too. I haven't seen it since its initial release. I know that the contemporary films are usually available on dvd, but I much prefer recording something off of TCM to watch again, instead of buying it for 15 bucks.

Sandy K

I''ve been a huge fan of 31 Days of Oscar since I first became aware of it several years back, and certainly I'm looking forward to this upcoming line-up as well,

Heck, I salivated just as soon as I saw that the tribute is kicking off with the only three nominees in Oscar history for Best Comedy Direction. a short-lived category that existed only during the 1927-28 awards season, which was Oscar's first of course.

Not that they called them Oscars then. Nor was there a sealed envelope. Still, this will be an excellent chance to appraise the work of nominees Charlie Chaplin ("The Circus"), Ted Wilde ("Speedy") and winner Lewis Milestone (Two Arabian Knights") all in the course of about four hours.

There's worse ways to spend a morning.

Cordially,

Robert.

p.s. Thank God they've finally schedule "Coquette." I'm dying to see if this much-maligned Mary Pickford Oscar winning Best Actress turn from 1929 can possibly be as godawful as is commonly maintained. Thanks, TCM programmer, and keep up the marvellous work.

R.

> Apparently, February is the most hated month every

> year. It's the month that they devote to the Oscars,

> and it's been riling the locals for sometime. So

> much so that many of the board members have come to

> expect it and greet it with a "February doesn't count

> -- it's always bad". We'll always have December and

> January...

It's good to know I'm not the only one. I've always dreaded the 31-Days-of-Oscar nonsense. In particular, I've always missed the silents and foreign-language films. Seems like TCM dispenses with them almost altogether -- as if no silent or foreign-language movie ever received an Oscar nomination. (Heck, there's a whole category for foreign-language movies!)

Though, of course, in all fairness, it looks like there are more silents and foreign-language films scheduled for this February than in the past.

As far as I see it, it is just a BAD sign---"Oscar Month" is not a bad idea in itself, but it seems like half the films being shown in February are from the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. These are films that I can see on other channels REGULARLY---channels that DO NOT SHOW films from the 30s, 40s and 50s. TCM should stick to what it does best---the REAL classics. I don't care HOW good "MEN IN BLACK" is---it is NOT a "classic" because "classic" indicates something that has aged, stood the test of time and is perhaps MORE valued over time than it was when it was created.

RobertEmmettHaron wrote -

"...the tribute is kicking off with the only three nominees in Oscar history for Best Comedy Direction."

Thanks for that bit of context for these three films. I didn't know these films held that significant piece of notoriety. I appreciate you sharing that.

Too bad they are on in the middle of the night out West.

Kyle In Hollywood

Howdy, Kyle--

Ya know, this is one of the reasons why I enjoy the Oscar fest. It provides an opportunity to appraise the work of Hollywood (and overseas) craftspeople in all the various categories (cinematography, editing, music, art direction, fx, directing, and acting of course) within a framework that simultaneously casts a spotlight over the past 80 years of filmmaking.

It's especially cool when nominees from the same category and same year are screened. I might have noted that I've already seen all three 'comedy directing' nominees (thanks to TCM), and the fact that Academy voters opted for Milestone over Chaplin in this category kinda makes one realize that strange calls have existed in the Oscar derby from the very beginning. Well, at least Milestone earned a legitimate Oscar when helming "All Quiet on the Western Front" in 1930. (This film is likewise on the Oscar schedule for 07 and is a MUST for anyone who has never seen it. Still one of the 10 best Best Pics for my money.)

Message was edited by:

RobertEmmettHarron