Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

It Happened in Hollywood

Ray Faiola

Saw this Columbia gem for the first time on TCM.  What a neat little film with a nice, low key peformance by Richard Dix.  The party scene with all the star stand-ins was amazing.  Best was Arthur McLaglen playing brother Victor.

Anybody else catch this one?

Fine work by director Harry Lachman and cameraman Joe Walker.  Interesting that the clapper board for a shoot had camera by Mate.  I wonder if he actually worked on the film since he and Lachman did several films together or if it was one of the "inside" touches. By the way, "Rudy" the cinematographer was played by Cyril Ring.

Saw this Columbia gem for the first time on TCM.  What a neat little film with a nice, low key peformance by Richard Dix.  The party scene with all the star stand-ins was amazing.  Best was Arthur McLaglen playing brother Victor.

I watched part of it. That Dix was a pretty unique guy

I didn't catch it yesterday but I did watch it back in April 2012. It's a nifty little film that I had to see as it has a Sam Fuller screenplay credit and it just seemed so unlike his later output. It's fun, I keep it stored mentally as part of an unofficial thematic trilogy that includes CALLAWAY WENT THATAWAY and SLIM CARTER. Being a Universal title, I doubt that I'll ever see the latter again.

SLIM CARTER. Being a Universal title, I doubt that I'll ever see the latter again.

Yeah, isn't that a shame?!  I think AMC might have run it way back in the day.  I have a trailer for it, but I've never seen the feature.  I do have a print of CALLAWAY WENT THATAWAY.  Very fun picture.

Yeah, isn't that a shame?!  I think AMC might have run it way back in the day.  I have a trailer for it, but I've never seen the feature.  I do have a print of CALLAWAY WENT THATAWAY.  Very fun picture.

AMC probably did air it. I know that I caught up with many Universal titles there that I had not seen since the 60s when WCBS-TV in NYC seemed to have the bulk of the post-war Universal films and they aired movies all night. Another Universal Hollywood tale from that same late 50s period is KATHY O' with Dan Duryea and Patty McCormack. If I hadn't chanced on a YouTube copy (since removed because Universal is very good at that), I'd probably never get to see it again.

AMC probably did air it. I know that I caught up with many Universal titles there that I had not seen since the 60s when WCBS-TV in NYC seemed to have the bulk of the post-war Universal films and they aired movies all night. Another Universal Hollywood tale from that same late 50s period is KATHY O' with Dan Duryea and Patty McCormack. If I hadn't chanced on a YouTube copy (since removed because Universal is very good at that), I'd probably never get to see it again.

Kathy O'.  It's up there right now.  Get it while the getting's good.

• Like 1

Kathy O'.  It's up there right now.  Get it while the getting's good.

Thanks for that - the copy that I have is one that I had to compile from nine separate segments and has a slightly shorter running time.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings