Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Conqueror Worm

JonParker

The same happened last week with 'The Sadist': Rob's clips were letterboxed with a pristine print, then TCM aired a pan & scan atrocity that looked like it was derived from a tenth generation 16mm print. They could have opted for the British release of 'Witchfinder General' - which has the original soundtrack - but then you lose a minute of film due to censorship. Can't seem to win on this one.

The trailers are often easier to get because they don't necessarily come from the studios (Path, Mark and JonParker can probably address the why of this better than I) and, if original trailers, are often shown in their original aspect ratio.

The films, however, more often than not, are leased/rented from the producing studio and so, TCM is at the mercy of the leasing/renting studio and the print that they provide.

I used to love Vincent Price when he did good movies like Laura and The Las Vegas Story, but it seems like after he did The Fly he went nuts and except for good roles on TV, all of his movie roles were wacko doctors or minor royalty who had gone nuts. It's unfortunate because he was a handsome man and could probably have gone on to become a real star instead of turning psycho. I guess the money was good though, can't see why anyone would do those parts unless the bucks were there, and Christopher Lee is another one. I lose all respect for people who go down that road. If you choose to be an actor, it seems to me you should be the best one you can, just like if you're a secretary, you should be the best one you can, as in any walk of life.

Anne

> The films, however, more often than not, are

> leased/rented from the producing studio and so, TCM

> is at the mercy of the leasing/renting studio and the

> print that they provide.

Yes, I should clarify that I'm in no way blaming TCM for this. I know that given the choice they'd show the original version. It was just disappointing, especially since I'd never seen the film before and ended up loving it.

I suppose I could buy the Australian PAL DVD, since my player will play almost anything. This one was definitely a keeper.

I saw The Conqueror Worm at a Drive-In back in 1972 - it was included with a Vincent Price Triple Feature with all of his best movies from the 60's. For cult movie fans he hit his stride with these films and the Drive-In was always packed full every weekend when his movies were in the billing. For me the reason he was so good at this genre was that he really enjoyed doing them.

I was surprised to see that it was not in Widescreen on TCM as well but I am still grateful that they had it on.

mrsl, I can pretty much guarantee that you would have hated this movie. Price played a witchfinder in 17th century England, and the film was filled with blood, screaming, nudity and some vivid deaths. That said, it was a well done story with real emotional impact -- it wasn't just gruesome stuff.

That said, I have to take issue with your comments about Price's career. I have no idea how he ended up starring in horror films, but he wasn't known for phoning in his roles. Even in the worst movies he turned in credible performances.

He (and Lee) were always the best actors they could be. Whether they were getting the roles they wanted or not, they were (are) professionals.