Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite aspect of TCM's programming

TopBilled

I thought this would be the perfect forum to start a thread like this.

We've never really had a discussion on the boards addressing the different components of TCM's programming.

What's your favorite one?

Star of the Month four or five evenings each month focusing on a specific performer or group of performers

Essentials on Saturday evenings 

Essentials Jr. (they didn't offer it in 2016, but maybe it should be brought back?)

Guest Programming (one night each month)

Spotlights (formerly known as the Friday Night Spotlight)

Silent Sundays

Underground

Summer Under the Stars

Live at the TCM Film Festival

31 Days of Oscar

Memorial tributes and the end-of-the year In Memoriam segments

Have I missed anything..?

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite aspect of TCM is that it ain't like any other movie channel. It shows Classic films for the most part with no interruptions.The segments in between each movie can be informative and entertaining too! I will even say I enjoy the commercials too. TCM is the only channel I can watch without having to deal with irritating ads and other annoying stuff. The Summer Under The Stars and other specials they do are good. But things like Summer Under The Stars can be a hit or miss with me. One day a star I like will be on and on another day a star I don't like will be on.

• Like 2

My favorite aspect of TCM is that it ain't like any other movie channel. It shows Classic films for the most part with no interruptions.The segments in between each movie can be informative and entertaining too! I will even say I enjoy the commercials too. TCM is the only channel I can watch without having to deal with irritating ads and other annoying stuff. The Summer Under The Stars and other specials they do are good. But things like Summer Under The Stars can be a hit or miss with me. One day a star I like will be on and on another day a star I don't like will be on.

It's interesting when you say you don't mind the commercials. Other people have taken issue with the amount of advertising that goes on...but as you noted, the films themselves are uninterrupted by ads. 

I enjoy Summer Under the Stars programming. I like the idea of a whole day devoted to one person. TCM will sometimes do this for a 24-hour memorial tribute. I like being able to spend time looking at the performer's career in a compact retrospective-- seeing how their their style may have changed, how they aged, how the films they did became more popular or less popular-- it's Hollywood history.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings