Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recollections of actors that are wrong

midnight08

I just put my TV on to watch "The Misfits" on TCM. Before the film there was a snippet from Virginia

Grey recalling her involvement in the film "Saratoga". She stated that after Jean Harlow died Irving Thalberg called her and Clark Gable into his office to discuss recasting her as Carol Clayton. They

were going to refilm all of Jean's scenes with Virginia. Then the public started sending in a deluge of letters begging them to keep Harlow in the film so they could see her one last time. Consequently, MGM used two different doubles for the remaining scenes.

When I listened to her story I thought "what is she talking about?" Irving Thalberg died in September 1936, 9 months prior to Jean's death. I assume that no one who recorded her recollection caught her error. It made me wonder how many other recollections of actors contain erroneous facts.

Has anyone else ever caught an error in any actor/actress recollection?

• Like 2

Right...and I think that even when the facts seem to check out, there's often still a lot of fabrication and urban legends being retold. We should not take some of these recollections as gospel, and the same goes for tell-all autobiographies. They may be generally correct but not exactly correct. Make sense?

When I listened to her story I thought "what is she talking about?" Irving Thalberg died in September 1936, 9 months prior to Jean's death. I assume that no one who recorded her recollection caught her error. It made me wonder how many other recollections of actors contain erroneous facts.

Thalberg may have died 9 months earlier, but the son of a gun kept showing up for work.

• Like 2

Oh please, not the actors also. There's enough misinformation from the intros - Tiffany just said that THE MISFITS completed production in 1961. Whoever wrote that could have found out that it shut down on November 4, 1960 right here on this web site:

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/191117%7C0/Behind-the-Camera-The-Misfits.html

I haven't caught the Virginia Grey bit but that is a rather blatant rewriting of history. Oddly enough, Gable is involved in your example and mine. Plus there's a death involved - it's because I knew that Gable passed away in November 1960 that I knew the claim about a 1961 production wrap was erroneous.

• Like 1

Oh please, not the actors also. There's enough misinformation from the intros - Tiffany just said that THE MISFITS completed production in 1961. Whoever wrote that could have found out that it shut down on November 4, 1960 right here on this web site:

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/191117%7C0/Behind-the-Camera-The-Misfits.html

I haven't caught the Virginia Grey bit but that is a rather blatant rewriting of history. Oddly enough, Gable is involved in your example and mine. Plus there's a death involved - it's because I knew that Gable passed away in November 1960 that I knew the claim about a 1961 production wrap was erroneous.

But others who come along may say this is nit picking or hair splitting. 

But others who come along may say this is nit picking or hair splitting. 

Let them come. I've always adhered to the theory that if a job is worth doing, it's worth doing right. I've heard it before, that this is just trivia and doesn't matter.

So, if it doesn't matter, then why should it bother anyone if I point out the errors? ;)

• Like 1

Let them come. I've always adhered to the theory that if a job is worth doing, it's worth doing right. I've heard it before, that this is just trivia and doesn't matter.

So, if it doesn't matter, then why should it bother anyone if I point out the errors?

I agree the on-air host commentaries should be as accurate as possible. But how is pointing out the errors going to help change things? 

....Has anyone else ever caught an error in any actor/actress recollection?

Yeah! And in fact just within the last few years this one actor who seemed to be gettin' a whole lot of media coverage at the time kept talkin' about some kind'a "tiger blood" that was coursin' through his veins!

(...and EVERYBODY knows that THAT'S pretty much physically and/or biologically impossible, don't THEY?!!!)

;)

• Like 1

I agree the on-air host commentaries should be as accurate as possible. But how is pointing out the errors going to help change things? 

I don't expect that it will change a thing. But it will vent my own frustration to do so and there may be one or two out there who might enjoy getting some accurate information.

For the same reason, I point out when widescreen movies air in 4:3 editions or when 4:3 films suddenly start filling up my widescreen TV. Or when the entire cast of L'IL ABNER looks like Stubby Kaye when the film is presented in that marvelous new process called Squish-A-Vision which pushes the top and bottom of the screen together. Or when REACH FOR THE SKY shows up with a running time that's 30 minutes shorter than the original length...

On the other hand, when I do really appreciate something, I make it a point to comment on that also.

• Like 1

I don't expect that it will change a thing. But it will vent my own frustration to do so and there may be one or two out there who might enjoy getting some accurate information.

I get what you're saying. But in your earlier post, you said the correct information could be found on TCM's website. So if it's accurate somewhere on the site, why do you need to set the record straight? It just sounds like this is about catching the on-air hosts doing something wrong and sending them to the corner with a dunce cap. 

I just went through this thread and re-read the posts. We're getting off track, going into another discussion about on-air hosts making errors. The OP is talking about those word-of-mouth segments and other filler material that TCM airs where the performers are interviewed and offer up their recollections of working in Hollywood. 

Since the on-air host commentaries are never rerun (at least not to my knowledge), those errors if they exist sort of just disappear. But the word-of-mouth segments are continually rerun. So when an actress is making a false claim in a clip from an interview it gets perpetuated over and over, causing viewers to believe it's factual.

I just went through this thread and re-read the posts. We're getting off track, going into another discussion about on-air hosts making errors. The OP is talking about those word-of-mouth segments and other filler material that TCM airs where the performers are interviewed and offer up their recollections of working in Hollywood. 

Since the on-air host commentaries are never rerun (at least not to my knowledge), those errors if they exist sort of just disappear. But the word-of-mouth segments are continually rerun. So when an actress is making a false claim in a clip from an interview it gets perpetuated over and over, causing viewers to believe it's factual.

Great distinction TB.

Incidentally would you mind trying to remember to enter the enter key before you start responding to something you are quoting?  Makes the comments look so much better aesthetically :) .

I get what you're saying. But in your earlier post, you said the correct information could be found on TCM's website. So if it's accurate somewhere on the site, why do you need to set the record straight? It just sounds like this is about catching the on-air hosts doing something wrong and sending them to the corner with a dunce cap. 

Should I respond to this or not? Your other post makes a point about this thread going off track, so I don't have the willingness to respond. You seem to want to argue or perhaps you're trying to send me to the corner with a dunce cap on. I'm sure this thread will get plenty of responses without my further participation, after all, you're "such a magnet." ;)

• Like 2

Great distinction TB.

Incidentally would you mind trying to remember to enter the enter key before you start responding to something you are quoting?  Makes the comments look so much better aesthetically .

LOL...thanks tallhair. I have almost 25,000 posts so I obviously cannot go back and fix all of them to suit your fancy. But from this point forward, I will make a point of being more aesthetically correct. Incidentally, there are several other posters who do not press the enter key before responding to quoted text. You may need to start getting after them, too..!

• Like 1

Should I respond to this or not? Your other post makes a point about this thread going off track, so I don't have the willingness to respond. You seem to want to argue...

Nobody's arguing. But this thread is about recollections of actors that are wrong, not hosts that are wrong. If memory serves correctly, we have other threads which address the problem of errors in the host wraparounds. If we keep jumping on the hosts, it looks like we're just trying to find fault with them. Most people realize the errors come not from the hosts but from the researchers who write the text that is being read on camera. 

LOL...thanks tallhair. I have almost 25,000 posts so I obviously cannot go back and fix all of them to suit your fancy. But from this point forward, I will make a point of being more aesthetically correct. Incidentally, there are several other posters who do not press the enter key before responding to quoted text. You may need to start getting after them, too..!

Thanks TB.  I figured I'd start at the top and let lit trickle down LOL

:)

• Like 1

Would Tony Curtis telling Robert Osborne that Robert Mitchum refused THE DEFIANT ONES because he didn't want to work with a black man count? This was on one of those Private Screenings shows. The real story is that Mitchum refused the role because he claimed that a Southern chain gang wouldn't have shackled a black and a white man together.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings