Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help! 1930's Matinee Cowboys

Nixie

Can anyone identify the man in this picture? The only information I have is that he was a "matinee cowboy" in the 1930’s who made personal appearances with his horse? It looks like there is an XM on his boots but it is not very clear. Thanks!

post-16343-0-42178400-1470526273_thumb.jpeg

post-16343-0-42178400-1470526273_thumb.jpeg

Not Tex Ritter. And we can also rule out famous cowboys like Tom Mix, Ken Maynard, Buck Jones, Tom Tyler, Gene Autry, Broncho Billy Anderson, Dick Foran, Ray Corrigan, Johnny Mack Brown, William Boyd, Tim McCoy, Bob Steele, William S. Hart, Harry Carey, Yakima Canutt, Hoot Gibson,  and lesser knowns such as Jack Hoxie, Bob Custer, and Fred Thomson.

The guy in the photo looks like he is past his prime. Any idea when the photo was taken? Can you tell us where you got it?

• 3 weeks later...

Not Tex Ritter. And we can also rule out famous cowboys like Tom

Mix, Ken Maynard, Buck Jones, Tom Tyler, Gene Autry, Broncho Billy Anderson, Dick Foran, Ray Corrigan, Johnny Mack Brown, William Boyd, Tim McCoy, Bob Steele, William S. Hart, Harry Carey, Yakima Canutt, Hoot Gibson,  and lesser knowns such as Jack Hoxie, Bob Custer, and Fred Thomson.

The guy in the photo looks like he is past his prime. Any idea when the photo was taken? Can you tell us where you got it?

It was taken in downtown Schenectady sometime between March 1934 and 1941. I am guessing it was closer to 1936-38 because I have another picture of the storefront dated one of those years (I can't tell if it says 36 or 38.) It was taken in the front door of a liquor store on State St and near at the time (I believe) three theaters- The State, Proctors, and the Erie. It was my grandfather's store and all my Dad could remember was that they had a heck of a time getting the horse to back into the entryway. He was a kid at the time.

Could it be Ken Maynard's brother? I haven't been able to find a decent picture of him and I wondered if it was an KM on the boots instead of an XM. (COwboy movies really weren't my thing, so I am clueless!)

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings