Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Unashamed to ask TCM to copy AMC lead

gwtwbooklover

Let's see I have watched to movies recently on AMC that I would never have watched if it wasn't for the extras AMC added to the movie. The info about the movie that is at the bottom of the movie while you watch it. Trust me I would never watch Scarface the one with Al Pacino but I watched and read completely fascinated with the backstory. Have you all seens these? I hate to admit it but I watched the Basic Instinct one and like I said I fouind the story about the movie so fascinting. Like I said I never would have watched it again-I saw it at the theater and was soooooo lost. These movies tell about the sets, actors, the writers...anything and everything. So after the Basic Instinct movie or during it I thought boy wouldn't it be wonderful if TCM did this?? So can you guys check into this TCMPROGRAMER?

It's not invasive they show the movie first without the info and then repeat it with the details. I am sorry I left out that detail. They have also did this with one of the Back to the Future movies and Jaws which I would love to see but keep missing. So if TCM did it imagine what wealth of info they could share.

> You mean they scroll information at the bottom while

> the movie's showing? I have to disagree, I would find

> that totally annoying. There's no way I would be able

> to concentrate on what's going on in the film. This

> on top of commercials? No thank you. I prefer TCM's

> method of info before and after the movie.

Oh I disagree Brad. TCM can run anything / anywhere on the screen during ANY Jerry Lewis film.The scroll would have to be an improvement.

All during the movie, down in the black space at the bottom of the screen, they run subtitles telling about how the movie was made. They run throughout the whole movie. I can't stand them. I can't watch a movie and read the subtitles at the same time. The titles are very distracting and could be simply added to AMC's website as a background story, rather than to the bottom of the movie as it shows on the air on TV.

I also can't stand the during-the-movie commercials, where characters from other TV shows are shown walking around at the bottom of the screen while another movie is playing. This is the latest thing in during-the-movie commercials. That is, commercials shown WHILE THE MOVIE IS PLAYING.

I am not interested in watching a 2 hour movie twice in a row, and I'm not interested in reading how the movie was filmed and where and when and at what street addresses in what cities or what the actors had for lunch. If I want to read that kind of stuff, AMC could put that information on their website and people who want to, could read along while watching the movie, but I don't want to.

These crazy ideas are thought up by fast-paced people who live in big cities, who fight traffic every day, living in tiny apartments, and who have lost all contact with reality.

The actors are speaking their lines in a complicated murder mystery. Their facial features give clues as to who the killer is or isn't. While that is happening, long titles at the bottom of the screen are saying, "The actors are in their cars now chasing each along Highway 1 on the California Coast. Note that the drivers are weaving in and out of traffic. They almost had several accidents during the filming of this scene. Blah, blah, blah." Well, heck, we can see that on the screen in the movie!

During the love scenes and the complicated dialogue, the captions read, "The head actor (blah blah) didn't want to say these lines. He felt he had better lines to say in the film. He argued with the director and script writer about these lines."

What Lines?? I can't hear the lines if I'm reading this drivel at the bottom of the screen. I have to hold my hand up in front of my face to cover up the stupid titles.

> I know, that's ridiculous showing films twice in a

> row, I don't want to see anything twice in a row, no

> matter how much I love it.

In New York we had on Channel 9 "The Million Dollar Movie" back in the 50's. They would show the same movie every night during the week at 7:30, and three times on Saturday. Each time "King Kong" was on I would watch it 8 times each week. Things haven't changed much in over 50 years, the other day I watched "King Kong" four straight times. Maybe I'm trying to relive my youth but I really think I love to watch "King Kong"!

> TCM can run anything / anywhere

> on the screen during ANY Jerry Lewis film.The scroll

> would have to be an improvement.

I am a BIG Jerry Lewis fan, if you get any of his films on DVD for Christmas as a gift "I'll make you an offer you can't refuse" for them!

TCM trumps AMC in virtually every category you could name and shouldn't seek to imitate Always More Commercials in any way. Among the factors important to me:

1) TCM tries its level best to run all of its movies uncut. Occasionally they run something that's edited, but--as with "The Outfit" recently and "Wild Rovers" some time ago--they make up for it by rerunning them uncut.

2) Other than the TCM "bug" or ID in the corner, there are no graphics interrupting any TCM broadcasts. Unlike many networks, TCM runs the bug only 2-3 times per hour. Other networks keep it on constantly and barrage you elsewhere on the screen with trivia, a graphic telling you the name of the current show/movie (which you likely already know, because you're watching it!), a graphic telling you the next program, etc.

3) TCM does not squeeze or alter a movie or program's original end credits, one of the most annoying practices of modern broadcasting for those of us who grew up watching TV in the '70s and '80s or before. Networks that do this have usually already cut movies/episodes to shreds before they start monkeying around with the credits. I saw the end of "Airplane!" on AMC about a year ago, and one of my favorite end-credit sequences got smashed while a promo came on for some other AMC program I had no intention of watching.

4) TCM still runs CLASSIC movies by and large. AMC still has a great Fox package and runs some other old films that no other network seems to have the rights to, but their typical schedules today pale in comparison to their pre-commercial days.

5) TCM tells us the movie trivia either in the host introductions or between movies through cast interviews or other featurettes. Countless other between-movie bonuses, such as trailers, shorts, or movie news, remain on TCM while they have disappeared from Fox Movie Channel, which still shows old films but uses all time between movies to promote current Fox films.

Whew!

Agree with danthemoviefan

There could be no more indisputable sign of the decline of Western civilization than TMC ever trying to emulate AMC in any way, shape, or form.

If I want a bunch of trivia on any given movie, I will be sure to check out the DVD. If no DVD is available, I will look at imdb.com or search elsewhere on the internet. I *like* how TMC shows their movies, thank you very much!

i second that. I just flat out refuse to watch AMC, period. I certainly don't want TCM scrolling junk across the bottom of the screen during the movie. That's completely antithetical to the reasons I watch.

As for watching a movie more than once in a row, occasionally I'll do with a DVD featuring commentary tracks, although most of the time they go unheard. My record is for "Beyond the Valley of the Dolls," where I spent a Sunday afternoon watching the movie, the movie with cast commentary, and then the movie with Roger Ebert commentary. That was a special occasion though, and was only done for of The Greatest Movie Ever Made .

Fred, aren't those little moving graphics during a television show one of THE most annoying things?

I didn't realize the Pop Up Video AMC movies were the second showings of the same movie. I remember thinking how awful they were.

But I don't imagine they're geared towards oldsters like me who.... OH THE HUMANITY ... want my movies (and television) presented without add-ons or improvements or gee gaws or doo dads. I like my ice cream without M&Ms or nuts or candy bars or PB&J or cookie dough too. Imagine that.

However, since I don't watch AMC and don't have TCM anymore, TPTB aren't lying awake at night wondering what I think.

dolores

• 2 weeks later...

Let's see I find it hard to believe that no on would be hungry for info about the movies they watch. I also find it hard to believe that the info that TCM presents before and after the movie is not repeatitive to you. No offese to Robert and his staff but the same old lead in info and after info is boring. Plus like I said wouldn't you like to know more info?? I would and that is why I thought woudn't it be cool if TCM did this... I could name a few movies that TCM can start off with since we've seen them already time and again on TCM anyway like GWTW, Coal Miner's Daughter, Shop Around the Corner, Rocky,Sunset Boulevard and any of the other repeats. Myself once I got use to it enjoyed the writing immensly. Also, as the saying goes you don't have to watch if you don't want to...and I also didn't suggest TCM turn into ACM just to borrow this idea. Plus since I am here and obviously a pariah for my suggestion I wish the TCM underground would come on a wee sooner than it does-it ain't bad and non-invasive just ont to darn late.

> Fred, aren't those little moving graphics during a

> television show one of THE most annoying things?

They sure are. They distract from the movie but a lot of movie channels are using them to run promos and commercials DURING the film.

I think AMC shows some movies twice, once without the running commentary, and then once with written commentary at the bottom of the screen all through the movie, very distracting. Why don?t the use the alternate audio channel if people want to hear a running commentary, or use the closed caption system for a running commentary for people who want to read it.

Also, as the saying goes you don't have to

> watch if you don't want to

Sorry, that saying doesn't apply to this. Some of us have more trouble concentrating and are more prone to distraction than others........ and the writing on the bottom of the screen would totally be distracting to these people, me included. I think you need to try to be considerate of these types. I'm not sure why you can't be satisfied with info before or after the movie or even looking up info online at your own leisure.

As for TCM Underground, I say the later it can be buried, the better.

Message was edited by:

bradtexasranger

I agree with the majority, here. I tried to watch a film on AMC with that running commentary on the bottom and found it hideously distracting. I turned the film off after 10 minutes. (How unusual to even find a film that I would like to watch on that channel). I disagree with gwtwbooklover regarding Mr. Osborne's information. I think the information he provides is concise and interesting and thankfully not invasive to the film itself.

I really don't care what stupidity the actors were arguing over during the filming of a movie or how fast they were going down what highway ~ that is much more information than I require. We are all worried enough that TCM is going to go the AMC route ~ Please NO, God help us!

By the way, anyone who is interested in making comments on Million Dollar Movie (I just did) ~ there is another thread about this in this forum.

ken123, Fox Movie Channel is still showing the same movie three times in a row on Friday night's.

dan, I totally agree with your entire list. I finally got around to watching "Tales of Manhattan" that I taped off AMC a month or two ago, and wound up getting ticked off while fast forwarding through the commercials. It was a great movie, but it was ruined by the constant commercials for **** pills (I love that phrase. It's from an old AMC thread around here) and the little graphic on the bottom of the screen telling me: "You're now watching: Tales of Manhattan". Really? I didn't know that! Thanks AMC. Not.

The only good thing about AMC is that they occasionally show rare classic Fox movies from time to time.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed how Fox Movie Channel took off the little trailers and featurettes they used to show. I used to love those and I would much rather watch those instead of red carpet interviews for their current movies and shows.

All of this leads me to say: Long live the greatness of TCM!