Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gwtwbooklover

Unashamed to ask TCM to copy AMC lead

Barney, as for your comment about seeing Father Goose 457 times, maybe you should think of others besides yourself and realize some people have not seen it and would rather see it for the first time without the idiotic pop ups on the screen.

Noted.

Does thinking of others besides yourself include not ridiculing others for simply offering an opinion on a subject? Is this the way it is around here? I can go toe-to-toe just as well as the next, but that's not why I'm here. I'm here to enjoy company of others who (whom, english profs?) enjoy TCM and what it offers. If you're lookin' for a fight, that ring is in the next tent, bub.

I'm a lover. Not a fighter. Best of luck to any of you dealing with personal issues.

I'm not looking for a fight either, but I found your statement about seeing Father Goose 457 times, implying the rest of us should just fall in line, a little arrogant. I will fight anyone tooth and nail who tries to bring the moronic popups to TCM, which is just about the only safe haven from this idiocy. It will be a sad day if TCM ever goes that route. Again, no one seems willing to answer the question of why you can't look up trivia and info on any film you want to at your own leisure, why does it have to interfere with the film in progress?

Stoney, I'm with you all the way- those pop ups DO SUCK-A LOT! Every once in a while one might be funny but they don't tell you anything you would actually care to know. Unlike Robert and Ben who tell you something you would've never known otherwise and care to here. I for one love the intros & outros on TCM and would be GREATLY disappointed & discouraged from watching TCM if they started those stupid pop ups. I would like to think that they have more integrity and respect for THE MOVIE and their true movie loving viewers than to do something like that.

Ummmmmmmmm............. duh. That's the subject of this thread. The author of this thread keeps posting that we can ignore popups if we don't like them, and I keep trying to post to dear ears apparently, that some of us are more prone to distraction than others, and why should we have to ignore them, why, in the name of all that's holy, can't you folks be happy with looking up info and trivia on films at your own leisure? Why is it so important to some of you to have these idiotic popups at the bottom of the screen?

Well, if I remember correctly, you also stated you wouldn't mind the popups, and as usual, not one of you will answer any of my questions. All I can say is, if the stupid popups are so important to you, stick with AMC, I don't see TCM stooping to this level.

I only have one comment....why do you people even bother watching AMC? Local TV has fewer commercials and better programming. Been going downhill since Bob Dorian left. As far as the crawl, TCM is perfect the way it is....in my opinion....ok, maybe that was more than one comment.

Hello Folks,

This is my first time on this message board. If I want information about 'behind the scenes' for a particular movie, I look on this site.

I hope TCM does not follow anything AMC does. AMC sold out when it went to commercials. Even in the AMC theaters, one gets inundated with commercials.

Enough already.

I'm shocked that there are people that not only don't find those information scrolls annoying, but actually prefer them and are asking TCM to follow suit? No offense meant to the original poster, but you've got to be kidding me? I really appreciate TCM's classy approach to their programming. No commercials or horrible film edits, just wonderful movies shown as they were meant to be seen.

We don't CollarFree........but you know how when you pass a car wreck on the highway, you just HAVE to gawk?

Well, that's what I do when I surf past AMC.........SOMEtimes there's a decent b/w movie that somehow got sucked into the abysmally filthy vortex that is the current AMC. And THEN if that poor victimized movie is the subject of the pop up insanity editing by the junior grade school suits who now rule that moronic station, well I just linger on the abomination a minute longer than I want to, with mouth agape.

Trust me, no one here willingly watches AMC for more than a few minutes, and have to instantly shower with lye soap if they happen to do so by mistake.

Absolutely, but the aim is to KEEP reminding TCM not to denigrate anymore than they already have and to NOT become another AMC. You see, we had no choice with AMC, there was no internet then and no message board.

The crooks at Cablevision took it over and bastardized it into the filth you see it as it is today.

Once upon a time, on a vacation down to "the States" I discovered a couple of classic movie stations while flipping through the channels at a motel. TCM and AMC. Lucky stiffs I thought. We had nothing like them in Canada.

Lo and behold, many years later, one day TCM shows up in the channel guide.

Could it be? I wondered. Wonder of wonders it was.

Finally a movie channel worth watching. Now all we needed was the other one- American Movie Classics.

It arrived about four months ago. What a complete mess that channel has become.

I can't watch it.

In Canada, the commercials (at least) so far, consist of constantly repeating "man in the street" pieces. Favorite lines, scenes etc. Or, profiles of the hard working screenwriter, director et al. No real ads, just these constantly repeating interuptions to the movies.

I just can't watch the station.

What a complete waste of bandwidth.

TCM is like a breath of fresh air.

It has it's faults, like everything else, but it's a helluva lot better than most of the drivel out there in the 500 channel universe.

> Better than not thinking at all,

> Bartlett/aftermath/all your other moronic little ids

> because you're a sad little **** sitting in your

> basement.

"Sour Grapes Make Bitter Wine" Your Royal Highness! Glad to see you still have that special "Christmas Spirit" Joy to your world!

Glad to see that although you continue to hide behind numerous ids, you never denied that you aftermath are you Bartlett are you BarneyFike.

Can't wait to see how many you can come up with in 2007.

> you never denied that you aftermath are

> you Bartlett are you BarneyFike.

You see this person in your soup! I've learned when to come out of the rain and when not to argue with a "Delirious Dolores"!

> It arrived about four months ago. What a complete

> mess that channel has become.

> I can't watch it.

> In Canada, the commercials (at least) so far, consist

> of constantly repeating "man in the street" pieces.

> Favorite lines, scenes etc. Or, profiles of the hard

> working screenwriter, director et al. No real ads,

> just these constantly repeating interuptions to the

> movies.

> I just can't watch the station.

> What a complete waste of bandwidth.

Fellow Canaidan here :)

I had been waiting for TCM on my cable for YEARS and it finally came which gave me much happness. Although a few movies on the TCM schedule gets blacked out due to rights issues i'm still very happy as about 90% of the flicks make it across the border. (Tho i'm sad that I won't be watching Foreign Correspondent)

Anywho I noticed they added AMC as well. I was intrigued by this and gave it a shot. I have to agree with you. It's a total waste of bandwith, the commercial interruptions are too numerous and I find that at times when they come back from commercial that a good portion of said movie seems to have been edited out.

The only good thing about AMC is the Saturday Westerns block. I guess even some of the worst stations have to have at least one redeeming quality.

ok, I agree with the whole wreck thing. I sometimes surf and hit upon something interesting.....then when a commercial pops up and I realize I was watching AMC, I change the channel ... then usually go get the DVD of what I stumbled upon....after showering, of course. Luckily the commercials on AMC are so frequent, I didn't waste too much time.

I sent them a letter a few years ago complaining and they replied they needed to add commercials because unlike TCM, they don't actually own any movies, but it seems to me that most of the interuptions are self promos.

As far as trying to warn TCM to not further denigrate itself, I kind of like their self promos. Very classy, sometimes erotic, and never interupting the movie. I don't mind filler as long as it is before and after. Something that AMC tried before totally selling out.