Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

old scary movie

maggiecat

Hello. I saw a movie when I was little (late 1960s) that haunted me for several years and I'd like to know what it was. It was black and white and I'd say it was from the 1930s or 1940s (possibly early 50s). The premise had something to do with a woman being trapped behind some kind of grate, and for some reason I had the impression that this was in some kind of tunnel, air duct, or cat walk. I think the twist at the end was that the person doing the trapping actually became the trapped person in the end. It seems to me that the final seen was that the wrong person was trapped behind the grate and there was lots of screaming. I also have a vague recollection of a husband, and maybe a wife/mistress triangle. It may have been the husband who got trapped behind the grate instead of the wife, or something like that. It might have also involved a pianist, but I could be confusing two movies here. I realize my recollection is flimsy since I was so little and left mostly with impressions. But I've wondered for 40 years what that movie was! Any help is appreciated. Thanks so much.

This may be a long shot because it was in color from 1961, The Pit and the Pendulum with Vincent Price TCM database has the complete synopsis, In it the wife has a boyfriend and they try to drive the husband mad . The husband is never in the thing but she fakes her death but at the end she's locked in a dungean device .

Yes! It's the Vincent Price version of The Pit and the Pendulum. ("Lady in a Cage" was a good guess, also, and sounds equally as frightening. So thanks also to JackBurley.) I don't know how you got that from my cryptic clues, but I can't thank you enough. I remember some sort of trick being involved with a pretend death in the beginning, later resulting in an ironic death. The grate/cage I remembered must have been the iron maiden. And the synopsis I read says there are scenes with a harpsichord playing in the night, so that accounts for my memories of a piano. I've just reserved a copy of the video from my local library and can't wait to watch it again after all of these years. Thank you so much!!!!!!! You've made me very happy.