Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted Schedules

allan

TCM: PLEASE advise your people who are in charge of posted movie schedules that each new days starts at Midnight -- NOT at 6AM. This fact has been in existence for thousands of years and is not new.

For example my newspaper's weekly TV Guide for last week listed the movie, Anne of The Thousand Days as showing "Friday 3AM" when actually it was on at Saturday 3AM.

I don't know where you could have possibly obtained the idea that each day starts at 6AM because it DOES NOT. EACH DAY STARTS AT MIDNIGHT, 12AM, 0000 -- NOT 6AM. PLEASE GET ON BOARD AND STOP DRIVING YOUR VIEWERS NUTS.

Respectfully,

A. F. Knepper, Penn Valley, CA 530-432-5317

Mr. Knepper -

I think it unwise for you to post your phone number on here (if that is what those ten digits are after your name and city). If you would like to remove it, click the "edit" symbol at the top of your post and you can change the contents of your post.

TCM isn't going to call you but you may get a lot of unwanted phone calls from other strangers.

Kyle In Hollywood

ps - try printing out the tcm schedule for the Pacific Time Zone from the website and use it as a guide for your viewing. Click below -

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=&timezone=PST&oid=12/1/2006

Or use the program guide for your cable or satellite system.

All DVD and VCR recorders are set to start the next day at 12 midnight. It is very confusing to see 1/4 of TCM's listings shown listed on the wrong day. It is difficult enough to re-calculate my time with the TCM Eastern time, but trying to figure out what day the AM is on in the TCM schedule is simply not necessary. AM starts at midnight, not at 6 AM.

So, what's the big deal/ Most of us (probably) have our lives more or less revolving around TCM. I know I print out the schedules usually 2 months in advance (using Word and editing them to 10 legal pages). They can certainly be done for whichever time zone, if need be. Also, TCM is not the only place that begins the listings for 6 (or 8) AM; my most recent (about-to-be-discontinued by me) magazine-type guide won't show the night-time stuff by grid at all, and several newspaper inserts also ignore midnight-6AM even exists. Plus - many of the "themed" evenings begin at 8 PM and go through the night, keeping these grouped nicely in the schedule by beginning the new day at 6AM.

The only thing that made my life "heck" was when they reformatted the monthly schedule; now I have to go through each (and every) listing to edit down the spaces, using "Delete Row" (I made a macro key for it) hundreds of times each month. Otherwise it would take another 4-5 pages! Used to be, I could just do a little deleting here and there to combine rows. It sure the new method transfers from their data base better, but I surely didn't need "Letterboxed" instead of LBX, for example, to take up more space..........

But, again, what's the deal with 6AM? We look on the schedule, we see 12:00 in the middle of the listings, and we know it's the new day. And we act accordingly. I can't think when THAT has ever been the reason I missed something I wanted. Just equipment failure, memory lapse, or my own stupid mistakes have been causing that. By the way - a wonderful investment can be a UPS (power supply) for your dish and hard-drive recorder. My DVD recorders and VHS seem to soldier on, but the hard-drive machine ceases at the thought of a power glitch. Not anymore - and you'd be amazed how often the "siren" goes off for glitches that don't even make the lights flicker!

Welcome to the boards, Allan. Your question is actually very good and has been discussed here before, but I'll be happy to explain TCM's "method to their madness".

All TV channels (either broadcast or cable) operate on a "broadcast day" which starts at 6am. This goes back, before TV, to the early days of radio when most stations signed on the air in the morning and then signed off the air at midnight or 1am or whatever. The FCC required that all stations keep a daily log of it's programming and any part that aired after midnight and before the station signed off was considered part of the previous day.This is the way it's been for that last eighty years or more. Maybe with most channels operating 24 hours a day it seems outdated, but the only way to change it would be if the entire broadcast industry made a change and I don't see that happening.

I hope that answers you're question.

Mark, the TCM day/timing error in the on-line listings has nothing at all to do with the FCC.

All they have to do is move the listed date, day, and time headline up in their on-line schedule by two or three movies.

For example, tonight, instead of having the words "7 Thursday" listed just before "6:15 AM" and "Soldier and the Lady", they should move the words "7 Thursday" up and listed just before "12 AM" and "Charade".

That's all they would have to do.

Fred, Sorry for any confusion. I wasn't implying that the FCC had anything to say about how TCM listings are done. All I was doing was giving a little historical info about why stations start their day at 6am and not midnight. If TCM wants to change how they list things they're free to do so.

Alright, just forget I said anything. I just think it's silly to start a new day at 6 AM on any TV schedule. Two of my recorders require me to click on AM or PM to set the timer, and the TCM schedule confuses me by saying something is on at AM on Wed, when it's actually on at AM on Thur. Plus I'm two time zones over from Eastern and I've got to calculate that too. I shouldn't have to work out a complex math quiz every time I set my recorder. Bah.

Fred - and others - I just experimented to see what happened, and......

Instead of having to calculate all your times, there is a schedule for MST (Mountain Standard). I suspect if your profile (control panel) states you're in Mountain (or Central, or Pacific) you may get that one if you're signed in, anyway, when you go to the entire month printable one, but my browser info, which was set for EST, of course, I changed slightly to this:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=N&timezone=mst

and, voila! Mountain Standard time. (I must add, I tried CST first, just so, and got MST schedule that time, too - unless it was just a foul-up.) So, if you haven't been able to get one when you click (and I guess they don't print several versions of "Now Playing" for the different zones?), try the link.

Hope that alleviates some frustration. Me, I just got used to it all a long time ago.

Bill

> Fred - and others - I just experimented to see what

> happened, and......

>

> Instead of having to calculate all your times, there

> is a schedule for MST (Mountain Standard). I suspect

> if your profile (control panel) states you're in

> Mountain (or Central, or Pacific) you may get that

> one if you're signed in, anyway, when you go to the

> entire month printable one, but my browser info,

> which was set for EST, of course, I changed slightly

> to this:

>

> http://www.tcm.com/schedule/month/?cid=N&timezone=mst

If you select your time zone on the daily schedule, it sticks for the monthly printable, unless you have cookies blocked or some such.

I don't find the time presentation to really be an issue. But then, I do my scheduling with tivowebplus. I don't have to deal with the hassles of entering times unless I am doing manual recording.

MM

I certainly have no major complaints with TCM as it has been almost solely responsible for me keeping my sanity through a very difficult fight and recuperation but what on earth is happening with the scheduled programming. I finally understood it was my error in misunderstanding Mr. Osbourne when announcing next or coming up when referring to the Essentials that it meant the following week. But when I get my beauty sleep in order to enjoy a Gary Cooper marathon and bingo I am watching Joan Blondell in "Make Me a Star" when the TCM schedule told us all that we would be enjoying Gary Cooper and Helen Hayes I get confused. This has happened numerous times and I would sure like to know why. I can understand program changes in the event of a death or a similar event but how does TCM's website have it wrong when our own Cable provider for our Premium Pkgs. have it right. There is always those unnerving few seconds of hope until the clock strikes the hour to reveal what film will roll. More often than not I am the disappointed one. Does anyone have an insight for me? I do have a life albeit it is often in black and white. I do by no means wish to complain I just can't abide the mix up sometimes. Thanks and Hello to everyone from a new member.

Hello, welcome to the board.

I noticed you're in Canada. That may be the problem. From what I've read on here, the Canadian schedule is different for some reason. There have been several Canadians posting to complain about the differences. Hope that helps, I'm sure someone will come along who knows more details about than I do.

From what I've read on here, the Canadian schedule is different for some reason. >>

It's usually a rights issue problem. There are times when TCM runs a film but the rental/lease contract only covers US broadcast rights. That means the film cannot be broadcast by TCM in Canada because the contract does not cover Canadian broadcasts.

That then forces TCM to substitute a film that it does have the rights for Canadian broadcast.

TCM does not own a film library anymore. All the films they show they must rent/lease from studios and other sources so they are at the mercy of the rights holder on the broadcast rights.

On the top banner of the website above are headings. The one for schedule, if you click that, takes you to the daily schedule. There is a button you can click to get the Canadian schedule which might help.