Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Programming Idea for True Summer Under the Stars

yanceycravat

Next year each day hosted by a real Hollywood Star showcasing their favorite actor or actress.

Here's some examples:

Tom Hanks - James Stewart

Kevin Spacey - Jack Lemmon

Your thoughts?

Yancey

Sorry. I don't like this idea. It would just be like an extended month of guest programming with them all picking the most famous stars and movies that are already overplayed. There wouldn't be much variety and pulling in titles outside the TCM/Turner library that we need with this sort of programming.

Now if I could revise your idea and let each day be family members (like grandchildren and great-grandchildren of golden age stars) introducing movies, that would be better. They'd be sure to pick a variety of titles that best represented their relative's talent.

• Like 1

Another way to do it would be to pick the stars first. Then find people to present them.

If I were TCM , I would have a master list of as many celebrities and /or people around the movie business as I could get. And ask them which stars are their favorites or they are interested in or know about. It wouldn't be hard to do, just contact agencies. They are always trying to get their clients air time. 

Then for each star of SUTS, just find the person who is available and have the present.

• Like 2

Another way to do it would be to pick the stars first. Then find people to present them.

I could live with that. But how do you prevent them from gushing on and on about the star and sticking to a little more serious talk about the films..? 

If the family members of stars were invited on, they could bring rare photos that show another side to the featured performers we may have never seen before. And I think it might open the door to some great new anecdotes.

I would care more about what Joan Crawford's grandchildren think of her movies, than about some vacuous actress who wants to be as famous as Joan was.

I could live with that. But how do you prevent them from gushing on and on about the star and sticking to a little more serious talk about the films..? 

A script. Actors and actresses are used to those.

If the family members of stars were invited on, they could bring rare photos that show another side to the featured performers we may have never seen before. And I think it might open the door to some great new anecdotes.

I would care more about what Joan Crawford's grandchildren think of her movies, than about some vacuous actress who wants to be as famous as Joan was.

I don't care about Crawford's grandkids, or Wyler's great niece, or Bogart's third cousin once removed. I'd rather have the working actors, actresses, writers, directors, and other creative talent, to draw that throughline from the classic to the modern.

• Like 2

Larry wrote--

I don't care about Crawford's grandkids, or Wyler's great niece, or Bogart's third cousin once removed. I'd rather have the working actors, actresses, writers, directors, and other creative talent, to draw that throughline from the classic to the modern.

I couldn't disagree more on this point. I think the relatives provide us with insights into who the performers were as human beings. It makes their screen work a bit more real. At least to me it does, and I suspect to others as well.

Recently, I had several conversations with the grandson of Claude Akins. We were going over the fact that Akins was in many hit movies and TV shows but never received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I realized quickly during my chats with Claude's grandson just how important the actor's legacy is and how that resonates with the people who knew him best. 

Having that perspective on camera to film wraparounds for TCM would be most valuable.

• Like 2

Recently, I had several conversations with the grandson of Claude Akins. We were going over the fact that Akins was in many hit movies and TV shows but never received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Maybe they didn't want to pay for it.
  • Like 2

Sorry. I don't like this idea. It would just be like an extended month of guest programming with them all picking the most famous stars and movies that are already overplayed. There wouldn't be much variety and pulling in titles outside the TCM/Turner library that we need with this sort of programming.

Now if I could revise your idea and let each day be family members (like grandchildren and great-grandchildren of golden age stars) introducing movies, that would be better. They'd be sure to pick a variety of titles that best represented their relative's talent.

I love this idea. It would be great to have children of the stars introduce their films and give some reflections of their famous parent/grandparent. However there are some kids that would need to be exempted. We wouldn't want Christina Crawford as the

only film she'd want to show would be MOMMIE DEAREST. Same for BD Hyman (daughter of Bette Davis). She'd want to show WHATEVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE and claim her mother was just like Baby Jane. LOL.

Seriously though, I like the idea. I would enjoy hearing Luci Arnaz and/or Desi Jr. talk about their parents or any one of Bing Crosby's kids talk about him and so on.

I bet they would pick the most famous movies also and repeat the same info found on wiki and imdb, prior Bob Dorian etc quotes and stories about the start etc.

• Like 1

SUTS presented by either a family member or an interested present day entertainer would be a good idea and it would provide an interesting and new perspective on the star being presented.  The family member or entertainer wouldn't necessarily have to be the movie presenter for that evening but could have a taped interview with Ben or another TCM presenter as an "Original Production" and featured in the evening prior to that nights selections. 

As for Ben and his numerous relatives (Joe, Hermann and Tom) he could provide a documentary of his own.  I noticed that in presenting a movie the other day he referred to Hermann as his grandfather and I believe that is the first time I heard that personal tie, with the exception of the Father's Day he spent with Frank. 

It's time TCM upped the ante on providing new perspectives to the films and entertainers (in front and behind the scenes) we love.  Oh yes, one more thing to quote Columbo...George Sanders for a SUTS candidate. 

• Like 1

I bet they would pick the most famous movies also and repeat the same info found on wiki and imdb, prior Bob Dorian etc quotes and stories about the start etc.

That's possible...but not necessarily so.

I understand the OP's original idea here-- he was likely thinking that modern stars introducing films featuring past stars, makes it "double" the Summer Under the Stars. 

It's time TCM upped the ante on providing new perspectives to the films and entertainers (in front and behind the scenes) we love.  Oh yes, one more thing to quote Columbo...George Sanders for a SUTS candidate. 

Yes. In fact, George is typing a letter about this to the TCM programming department right now. 

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-09%2Bat%2B8.06.0

• Like 1

That's possible...but not necessarily so.

I understand the OP's original idea here-- he was likely thinking that modern stars introducing films featuring past stars, makes it "double" the Summer Under the Stars. 

My take ... it's likely but not definite. I've recall other relatives talking about famous stars and that's pretty much what they did.  i.e. pick famous roles and say things that have already been said.  And this discussion reminds me of Liza Minnelli talking to Bob D. about her mother ... she was mostly incomprehensible and possibly drunk to boot 

:)

My take ... it's likely but not definite. I've recall other relatives talking about famous stars and that's pretty much what they did.  i.e. pick famous roles and say things that have already been said.  And this discussion reminds me of Liza Minnelli talking to Bob D. about her mother ... she was mostly incomprehensible and possibly drunk to boot 

I missed seeing that. It was a Private Screenings interview, yes?

Yes. In fact, George is typing a letter about this to the TCM programming department right now. 

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-09%2Bat%2B8.06.0

Don't you just admire George/monocle and all...add to it he looks like he is sitting in a swimming pool with a typewriter...how I love George!!!!

• Like 2

Don't you just admire George/monocle and all...add to it he looks like he is sitting in a swimming pool with a typewriter...how I love George!!!!

Yeah...at first I thought he was in the bathtub with his typewriter (shades of Waldo Lydecker). It looks like he's wearing the monocle he had in MAN HUNT.

An idea for future SUTS:  For each star's day it should begin with the very first or at least earliest film  and at the end of the day the very last film ever done.  In between there should always be a documentary on the subject if available.  Sometimes this is done but it should be more consistent.  I do like the idea of having a relative or two make a film introduction but not for every star.  I also like the short bios on stars like Taylor's sweet remembrance of Monty Clift or Ann Blyth's recalling Joan Crawford, etc.

• Like 1

An idea for future SUTS:  For each star's day it should begin with the very first or at least earliest film  and at the end of the day the very last film ever done.  In between there should always be a documentary on the subject if available.  Sometimes this is done but it should be more consistent.  I do like the idea of having a relative or two make a film introduction but not for every star.  I also like the short bios on stars like Taylor's sweet remembrance of Monty Clift or Ann Blyth's recalling Joan Crawford, etc.

This isn't a bad idea at all!  However, some of the remembrances might be hard to come by since a lot of people who worked with the honorees (particularly from the 1920's to 1950's) aren't around any more.  Using relatives to either introduce their films or provide a remembrance piece would be great.  Many stars' first film experiences were often in un-credited roles, so that might not work too well.  Along the same lines, their first credited film as well as their last one amounted to a cameo appearance (in many instances), so their screen time would probably be brief.

A few years ago, Mary Boland was featured for one day.  Like Fay Wray, I thought it was a good choice.  If they haven't been selected before, I'd like to see SUTS give a nod to people like Gladys Cooper, Beulah Bondi, John Hodiak, Ralph Meeker, Lucille Watson, James Craig, Florence Bates, Zachary Scott, and Barry Fitzgerald.

• Like 1

A few years ago, Mary Boland was featured for one day.  Like Fay Wray, I thought it was a good choice.  If they haven't been selected before, I'd like to see SUTS give a nod to people like Gladys Cooper, Beulah Bondi, John Hodiak, Ralph Meeker, Lucille Watson, James Craig, Florence Bates, Zachary Scott, and Barry Fitzgerald.

I think your idea has merit as we get too overexposed to the "stars".  I have longed for days that feature the likes of Ward Bond (across all genres), James Gleason, Jack Carson and my two of my favourites, George Sanders and Eve Arden.  A day of George's snide remarks and Eve's quips would be a wonderful escape from the truly awful escapades of today's politicians. 

• Like 3

I say let's have a REAL Summer Under the Stars.....from the last third of June until the last third of September. That way, it can be truly inclusive......top stars already featured year round on TCM, top stars rarely featured on TCM much, supoorting players and character stars. 90 odd days can cover a lot of ground.

Who is/are hosting is the least important aspect of this.

• Like 4

I say let's have a REAL Summer Under the Stars.....from the last third of June until the last third of September. That way, it can be truly inclusive......top stars already featured year round on TCM, top stars rarely featured on TCM much, supoorting players and character stars. 90 odd days can cover a lot of ground.

Who is/are hosting is the least important aspect of this.

Arturo...I heartily endorse your suggestion and added to my likes including James Gleason, Jack Carson and Eve Arden is the overlooked but valuable character Oscar Levant who added his dry wit and sarcasm to the movies he was in.  Oscar was talented on several levels including his piano playing and the texture he added to BAND WAGON and HUMOURESQUE.  He would be a great addition to George Sanders Summer Under the Stars list. 

• Like 1

John Hodiak was featured in 2014.

Using relatives to either introduce their films or provide a remembrance piece would be great. 

Ugh I just watched a DVD that had a dead celebrity's daughter in law, sister & niece "reminiscing" about him. Awful, awful bore. 

People we see on TV are scripted and TRAINED to speak on camera. Amateurs are painfully obvious, lower credibility and therefore the success of any production-even DVD "extra features". 

The only time you invite unprofessionals to speak on camera is news stories-and they're wisely edited to a sentence or two.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings