Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Arrgghh! What just happened to Baby Face?

About what time in the film did the "freeze" happen? I had set up a DVD-R timer recording before I left the house and while I had the TV on I noticed a couple of digital flaws in the signal. Now I'm worried I've got something far worse on my recording.

Yes, in my area (Chicago suburbs) it froze and came back with no sound right in the part where I assume it was a lawyer she was talking to. Altogether it was screwed up for quite a while.

Anne

I'll have to check my recording of Baby Face from last night. I'm praying that I didn't have any recording issues. But with my cable company you never know! Of all nights to have issues it would have to be last night!!!!!

Wow; next time I'm in a crowd of men, I'm going to put my hand on my hip and say, "Let's just go over here and talk about it a minute" and see what happens...

Knocked 'em down like bowling pins lined up -- all the way to the top; just goes to show what reading can do for a girl... Curious, though, what was censored in the other version? I can guess, but would be interested in knowing for sure; anyone?

Dang! I'm so upset so many people had trouble watching this!!! This original version of Baby Face, shown for the very first time on TV last night (though it had played at the London film festival and at a few theaters), was a jewel. Although I liked the edited version, which I have on VHS, the quality of this new restoration was much better, and the additional dialogue added clarity as well as additional laughs.

I only hope TCM will show this again soon. Or, of course you can always see it if you shell out the $$$ for the Forbidden Hollywood collection on DVD, though I realize that may not be practical for some.

?Knocked 'em down like bowling pins lined up -- all the way to the top; just goes to show what reading can do for a girl...?

A girl basing her philosophy of ?success? in life on Nietzsche philosophy is not such a good idea. Most modern guys aren?t as stupid as the ones in that movie.

Otterhere: I need to go back and watch the edited version on DVD--which will certainly be clearer than my crummy VHS version--before I can fully determine what all was edited, but here is a partial list:

1. At the beginning, when Lily is yelling at her father, a partial line of dialogue: "since I was fourteen," is taken out. The edited version makes clear that Lily's father is pimping her out to men, but the original "since I was fourteen" language clarifies that this has been going on since Lily was 14.

2. The speech by the preacher, who gives Lily the Nietzsche volumes, is completely different in the edited version. In the edited version, he tells her he is afraid she will choose an immoral path in life. In the non-edited version, of course, he tells her to seize control of her destiny and use men to get what she wants.

3. The ending in the edited version is completely different. The edited ending is ridiculous and was quite clearly shot in haste, without the participation of either Stanwyck or George Brent. The restored ending makes much more sense and lends needed coherency to the film.

The foregoing list doesn't add anything to what you could learn on the internet. I need to watch the edited version in a better format before I can comment further. But I have a feeling there were other differences too. I remember that the edited version, as fun as it was, seemed like swiss cheese ... there seemed to be gaps in the scene shifts that made the film more choppy and amateurish-looking, as if certain slight but important contextual details were cut.

Look forward to hearing from anyone who noticed other differences.

Message was edited by: Me. Sweet Lord J.H.C. I do know the difference between Nietzsche and a "niche." So much for blind reliance on spell-check.

pintorini

Hi,

Well, I finally saw "Baby Face" last night and am wondering 'what's all the fuss about?'... I didn't find anything particularly shocking in it. Of course I've lived with and known women like that all my life.

Womens lib, when it first reared it's head, also was nothing new to me.

I liked Barbara Stanwyck in the role and it probably went a long way to advancing her career acting-wise and star-wise.

Also watched "Complicated Women", which I enjoyed much more. I would love to see "The Story of Temple Drake" with Miriam Hopkins. Now that looks much more shocking and interesting to me than "Baby Face"......

Larry

I was playing the edited version of Baby Face last night to see some of the differences, and I noticed that:

In the uncut version you can see the "politician" handing her father money for her services. In the edited version, the money is cut.

Also, the politician says she is well known to the night shift. In the edited version, he says she is well known to the -- and it cuts to a shot of her father waiting on the street.

Also cut was the whole scene where he grabbed and pawed her, and she fought back. That was why he was grabbing his head when he went out of the building in the edited version.

I noticed some others and, boy, maybe a few seconds here and there were cut but what a difference in drama those seconds contain.

The frozen picture came in the scene after the explosion killed her father, when she was walking into the shop of the old man she liked. It froze on her when she was coming down the stairs and held there for a few minutes. When it came back, they were talking but we didn't have any sound for awhile.

I'm on DISH but am glad to see others were affected who are on different suppliers because it may mean TCM will rerun it soon. Or I guess I will be buying the DVD set.

Exactly what I said in the post I accidentally deleted: she confessed in order to preclude the possibility of doing what she was oh-so tempted to do: marry the boy and (in a sense) ruin his life. That his mother could be so gracious, loving, and still welcoming after that (knowing the danger was past; Myra "could've married him," but didn't and wouldn't) was extremely touching. Yes, she was mercenary at first (although manipulating men with sex is nothing new), but love lifted her.