Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Palmerin

A Question About THE WALTONS

The election of 1992 is notorious for two examples of DISPARATE=NONSENSE: the pony tailed whiner who begged to Busch and Klingon to treat him like a baby who needed to be coddled, and Matt Groaning trying to fool the nation into believing that he actually believed that the downturn of 1992, which was over by 1993, was the second Great Depression. What's with you Yankees and the GD? An economic downturn, which is a perfectly normal feature of economic life, comes along, and you go into hysterics, baying about soup kitchens, shantytowns, and dust bowls!

Regarding THE WALTONS and their role in that farce of a campaign, was that family really poor? They had a magnificent house--certainly much better than my slimy rathole of an apartment--, they had land and crops, and, judging from how their neighbors treated them, their community held them in high regard. They remind me of the families of my mother and my stepfather at that very same time. Francisca Morales was the next to last of seven sisters; Victor Roldan was the seventh of a family of nine brothers and three sisters. Their parents had land, crops, and animals; could afford to employ AGREGADOS=HIRED HANDS; they made good money with the products they harvested, and managed to pay for the education of their numerous children.

One notable anachronism in THE WALTONS! Their hairdos are of the 1970s; they do not resemble one bit those of the 1930s movies that TCM is so generous to show us.

The election of 1992 is notorious for two examples of DISPARATE=NONSENSE: the pony tailed whiner who begged to Busch and Klingon to treat him like a baby who needed to be coddled, and Matt Groaning trying to fool the nation into believing that he actually believed that the downturn of 1992, which was over by 1993, was the second Great Depression. What's with you Yankees and the GD? An economic downturn, which is a perfectly normal feature of economic life, comes along, and you go into hysterics, baying about soup kitchens, shantytowns, and dust bowls!

What is that first sentence supposed to be about? Busch = George W, Bush? Klingon = Clinton? Matt Groaning = I don't know, Matt Groening, creator of The Simpsons? And who is "the pony tailed whiner"? Why are we talking about the election from 24 years ago? Oh right, The Waltonsbecause...

As for why we would rather not repeat the Great Depression, I guess since we don't have a United States to bail out our failing economy, like Puerto Rico does, we take it more seriously.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/282895-house-votes-to-rescue-puerto-rico

And as to the rest of your post, I never watched a single episode of The Waltons, so I can't help you.

Grandpa Walton had a little patch of land where he grew

pot. That helped the Waltons survive during the lean

years when the lumber mill was pretty quiet. Ever notice at

the end of every episode they talk some weird sheet just

before the lights go off? High as kites, every last one of them.

• Like 3

You might not be that far off the mark here, Vautrin...well, in regard to Will Geer's real life, anyway.

You might know that the once blacklisted actor founded the Will Geer Threatricum Botanicum outdoor amphitheater and botanical gardens up in SoCal's Topanga Canyon, and the hippies, who once lived up in Topanga Canyon and before they were priced out of the area, were legion up there for a while.

(...FWIW, around '89, I once attended a wedding at Will's amphitheater...the marriage didn't last long, btw...nope, we all TOLD the bride that the guy she wanted to marry was a real jerk...but of course, they never listen) 

I loved the Walton's especially the earlier years.  Also loved Earl Hamner Jr's narration.

They had what they had, ie house and land, before the depression .. and during it so that's not a mark of how wealthy they were.  They made do on on their endeavors and initiative during the depression which was primarily, if I remember correctly was a lumber mill.

• Like 1

The name of the family The Waltons is fictional but it's based on the life of Earl Hamner. Question is what we modern Americans consider being poor, can't afford the newest smartphone or video game?

The Waltons make us look in the mirror and see how spoiled we have become.  I remembered an episode where John Boy only got a writing tablet for Christmas.  Can imagine how people today would laugh at such a thing.

http://www.the-waltons.com/hamner.html

http://www.delsjourney.com/close-ups/us/waltons/waltons_story.htm

People today think they're too good to go through such an ordeal like those who lived though the Great Depression (my observation)  If history repeats, the next Depression will make the 1930's look like a cake walk.

About the remark of "magnificent house", people were known to build their own from the ground up.  It took time, hard work and patience.  If one owns land and have abundant lumber, it can be done.  Owning your own small sawmill helps. Houses were more simple back then.

I remembered the episode where their house burned down to the ground and it was rebuilt over time.

Some today do build their own houses, mainly to save a great deal of money.  Certainly take commitment.

Build_Home.jpg

• Like 1

The name of the family The Waltons is fictional but it's based on the life of Earl Hamner. Question is what we modern Americans consider being poor, can't afford the newest smartphone or video game?

The Waltons make us look in the mirror and see how spoiled we have become.  I remembered an episode where John Boy only got a writing tablet for Christmas.  Can imagine how people today would laugh at such a thing.

People today think they're too good to go through such an ordeal like those3 who lived though the Great Depression (my observation) If history repeats, the next Depression will make the 1930's look like a cake walk.

So, in OTHER words ham, it'll be a REAL "mess" then, RIGHT?!!!

LOL

;)

So, in OTHER words ham, it'll be a REAL "mess" then, RIGHT?!!!

LOL

;)

Ha, look what happens when an EBT card is not accepted.

PATHETIC!

img_7184.jpg?w=640

Hope I'm not around when things go south.  Katy bar the door!

You might not be that far off the mark here, Vautrin...well, in regard to Will Geer's real life, anyway.

You might know that the once blacklisted actor founded the Will Geer Threatricum Botanicum outdoor amphitheater and botanical gardens up in SoCal's Topanga Canyon, and the hippies, who once lived up in Topanga Canyon and before they were priced out of the area, were legion up there for a while.

And that he replaced the actor who played Grandpa Walton in the original 1973 "The Homecoming" movie pilot, namely Edgar Bergen.

Nobody wants an old grandpa who talks to himself.   :P  

And besides, Earl Hamner did some of his better down-home stuff for The Twilight Zone, although "The Hunt" and "Jess-Belle" are really the only good standouts.

• Like 1

People today think they're too good to go through such an ordeal like those who lived though the Great Depression (my observation)  If history repeats, the next Depression will make the 1930's look like a cake walk.

About the remark of "magnificent house", people were know to build their own from the ground up.  It took time, hard work and patience.  If one owns land and have abundant lumber, it can be done.  Owning your own small sawmill helps. Houses were more simple back then.

I remembered the episode where their house burned down to the ground and it was rebuilt over time.

Some today do build their own houses, mainly to save a great deal of money.  Certainly take commitment.

Build_Home.jpg

I recall the episode where John Boy got the writing tablet ... Big Chief If I'm rembering right.  They were still available in the 70's when I was a kid.

1da477cf14d49188984ae5ec2f11ac0e.jpg

also remember finding the spot on the hill to build the house episodes but I thought that was to give Livy the house she always dreamed of, her own house.  Don't recall the family home burning down

I recall the episode where John Boy got the writing tablet ... Big Chief If I'm rembering right.  They were still available in the 70's when I was a kid.

1da477cf14d49188984ae5ec2f11ac0e.jpg

also remember finding the spot on the hill to build the house episodes but I thought that was to give Livy the house she always dreamed of, her own house.  Don't recall the family home burning down

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0743696/

S4-18_BurnoutPhotoa.jpg

• Like 1

I was sharing memories .. don't recall that, obviously happened, and wasn't trying to show you up.  The picture you posted was very similar to the site of where John worked on building Olivia a house when he could or some structure at the place she always wanted on a certain spot overlooking a body of water.  They had talked about it when they were very young and he had always promised to build it for her.

I'm a Little House on the Prairie gal myself.

Love that show too.  Charles was such a nice man.

Another favorite was Mr Edwards ... I can still remember him sing the "Old Dan Tucker ... combed his hair with a wagon wheel" song.

Love that show too. Charles was such a nice man.

Another favorite was Mr Edwards ... I can still remember him sing the "Old Dan Tucker ... combed his hair with a wagon wheel" song.

Nellie Olson stole the show.

Disagree.  She was a nasty hateful little girl who was a very good antagonist but the wholesome family and Mr Edwards owned the show

Obnoxious and SPOILED ROTTEN!

Her ugly Nellie persona carried into Alison's adult life.  So despised  was she in the public eye, people threw eggs at her. (talk about can't distinguish fantasy from reality)

She wrote a book about her experiences. Aptly named.

confessions-bitch.jpg

(...FWIW, around '89, I once attended a wedding at Will's amphitheater...the marriage didn't last long, btw...nope, we all TOLD the bride that the guy she wanted to marry was a real jerk...but of course, they never listen) 

I recall reading many years ago that Will Geer made some kind of

concoction of tea with strawberry and a little pot in the mix. Guess

it worked. Maybe that's what kept Grandpa kind of mellow.

You can't really blame people all that much for not being

satisfied anymore with getting an orange for Christmas. Our

standard of living has increased quite a bit since the Great

Depression and so folks have come to expect more. Makes

sense.

Obnoxious and SPOILED ROTTEN!

Her ugly Nellie persona carried into Alison's adult life.  So despised  was she in the public eye, people threw eggs at her. (talk about can't distinguish fantasy from reality)

She wrote a book about her experiences. Aptly named.

confessions-bitch.jpg

Was this little maiden an ancestor of THE BAD SEED, as TV GUIDE speculated?

Not true. They got moonshine from the Baldwin sisters, unless of course Grandpa and John had a still somewhere.

My father once told me that in the 1920s' when he was a kid, his job was to carry water to the family still in Lousiana.

Not true. They got moonshine from the Baldwin sisters, unless of course Grandpa and John had a still somewhere.

My father once told me that in the 1920s' when he was a kid, his job was to carry water to the family still in Lousiana.

Yes the Baldwin sisters famous 'recipe'.  

Where was your grandfather carrying it from LOL ?

I don't know if that would be much of a money making proposition.

The Baldwins seemed to be more hobbyists than serious moon

shiners. And there is the question of demand. Maybe things would

have worked out if Otis Campbell moved to Virginia. But for the time

being, I would stick with the weed patch.

My dad tells the story of one of his uncles who was a small time

moonshiner. He left some bottles of his product temporarily in the

vegetable garden. Some of his female relatives accidentally found

them and smashed them on the rocks as he watched from the porch.

Not a happy camper.

When you consider what Nellie's mother was like, is it any wonder

she turned out to be a super brat.