Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
benwhowell

...So set 'em up, Joe, I got a little story...

I recently read something (somewhere) suggesting someone should create a great role for Diane Keaton as a boozy nightclub singer. Great idea, huh?

Some of my favorite boozy nightclub singers (in movies) include...

Claire Trevor in "Key Largo"

Peggy Lee in "Pete Kelly's Blues"

Annie Ross in "Short Cuts" (Annie Ross was also a child actress. She sang "Loch Lomond" in "Our Gang Follies Of 1938." She later appeared in "Superman III" with Jackie Cooper...)

Who's your favorites?

Anne Baxter in "The Razor's Edge" (1946).

Oops. Sorry. I don't think Anne did any singing in the movie.

How about Gladys George as Panama Smith in "The Roaring Twenties" (1939).

Rusty

Message was edited by:

jarhfive

"Susan Hayward" as Lillian Roth in I'll Cry Tomorrow (1955) & "Marilyn Monroe" as Cherie in Bus Stop.

vallo

Thanks, Vallo...How could I forget Marilyn in "Bus Stop!" And why did Oscar forget her!! (Even Don Murray got a nomination.)

I thought Claire Trevor was amazing in Key Largo. She definitely deserved the Oscar she got for that role.

How about Frank Sinatra in "Young at Heart". He's the perfect choice as he made famous the threads song.

How could we forget Marlene? Dietrich, that is...in you name it:

Der Blaue Engel (1930): the granmama of all those saloon singers to follow.

Morocco (1930): very ambiguously erotic here, but who can blame her for following Coop!

Blonde Venus (1932): gorilla costume alert!

Destry Rides Again (1939): and so does the lady from Berlin, singing, Western-style.

Seven Sinners (1940): and boy, wait until Dietrich gets an eyeful of John Wayne in his navy dress whites!

The Spoilers (1942): nice 1890s-in-the-Klondike wig, Marlene. Nice scenery too, with Wayne again and, for a change, Randolph Scott.

Foreign Affair & Witness for the Prosecution, oy, I could go on...

How about Errol Flynn in "Too Much Too Soon?" The academy snubbed him. He was always believable in all of his films. Too bad he didn't get his share of light comedy roles. He was always superb. He still doesn't get very much attention on TCM. In all of the star promos shown during the breaks, you would think that for just once they could show a clip of Flynn. Cooper, Crawford, Garbo, Grant, Tracey, Davis, both Hepburns all get their deserved exposure. Why not Flynn? He made alot of money for Jack Warner!