Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Abdul the Bulbul Ameer caricatures

wvms

For those who might have seen this cartoon the other day, loosely based on the old song.

As the fight progresses we get a trio of reporters. The guy with the microphone looks and sounds like Groucho (except for the pointy mustache). The one with the camera looks to me like Harry Ritz. But who's the little fat guy with the typewriter? I figure he has to be a caricature of someone famous at the time. Extending the trio concept you'd think he'd be one of the Stooges, but the only one that remotely fits is Curly Joe, and this was way before his time. The only other idea I had was Joe Penner, but the nose really doesn;'t fit. Mostly the guy looks like Woozy Winks, but that's probably an obscure reference here.

Any suggestions?

Cartoon is definitely NOT too old for Curly, 1941 (looks older, I know), since the TS started their Columbia shorts in 1934 - but.......

Hugh Herbert, for the third fellow. Not a "dead ringer," certainly, but especially in the earlier part when he's stretched out on the ice, typing away, there he REALLY looks like HH. I don't quite understand the caricaturing, since there's no attempt to match voices and such (no Woo-woo for Herbert!). Definitely Marx and Ritz, and I'm pretty sure Hugh Herbert, though.

He *does* look sort of like Hugh Herbert now that you mention it, but if so it's still not nearly as accurate a caricature as the other two. What bothers me is that they seemed to be making up a trio by pulling out people from trios. The little guy also ought to be one of three brothers. I'd even settle for two, or at least a member of some comedy team.

...they seemed to be making up a trio by pulling out people from trios.

Ah, now I've seen your point! And Curly would have been a good one from that standpoint. Maybe with the "trio" aspect to work on, someone will come up with something better for us. Don't guess the Weir (sp?) Brothers have anything to do with this? Hadn't even thought about them until just now in years. Vaguely remember them on the Ed Sullivan Show, from my growing-up days.