Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
slappy3500

Terribly mis-cast.

We all relish those performances wheree the actor seems "born" to the role; Bette Davis as Margo Channing. George C. Scott as George Patton, and Clark Gable as Rhett Butler. Even supporting roles such as Jackie Gleason as Minnesota Fats in "The Hustler" or Margater Hamilton's Elvira Gulch. But What about those more unfortunate choices? How about Micky Rooney as Holly Golitely's Japanese neighbor in "Breakfast at Tiffany's"? Or Janet Leigh as Paul Douglas' love interest in the otherwise delightful "Angels in the Outfield"?

I would say Gregory Peck, as scum-bag Lewt Macandless, in "Duel In The Sun" must rank as mis-casting of the highest order. Maybe it didnt seem so at the time, and I do realize that an actor is supposed to be able to play most parts they are physically suited for, but come on! His tongue was stuck so far in his cheek the whole film, and he seemed about the only person in the film that realized what trash it was. He just was never convincing as an evil, conniving, SOB, as this part required him to be. Must be why he seldom ventured there, and left that sort of character to others.

Elliot Gould should have played Bob.

Dyan Cannon should have played Carol.

Robert Culp should have played Ted.

Natalie Wood should have played Alice.

And I thought Gregory Peck was perfect in Duel in the Sun.

This guy wasn't that big of a star but it seemed like Warner Brothers was trying to push Bruce Bennett into becoming a star. He was miscast horribly as Joan Crawford's ex-husband in Mildred Pierce, and as a guy looking to hone in on Bogart's gold in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. It's just hard to image this lame duck ever being married to Joan Crawford, or honing in on Bogart's gold mission!

I also thought that Gregory Peck was just fine as the character he played in "Duel in the Sun". It was a good change of pace for him as an actor.

I also felt that Bruce Bennett was good in "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre". He played a good and well meaning soul that you could sympathize with, which I did.

Mongo