Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
moviejoe79

Cheapest DVD's - Check it out

There is a website called www.deepdiscountdvd.com, and they seem to have the lowest priced DVD's anywhere. I have bought from them three times now, and each DVD was cheaper then any store or website out there. They only charge tax to those who live in Illinois (where they are based), and the shipping is FREE - no matter how much you spend. And to top it off, they have a classics "section," which is nice, since most other websites and stores do not, and they have every title currently available.

A quick tip to locating the cheapest price for DVD's, go to Eopinions.com. It let's you check for the lowest price. I also use Deepdiscountdvd.com and they are fabulous. I also recommend Oldies.com which supplies older movies on DVD made by a company named Alpha. The DVD's on this site are less than $6 and some of the titles are The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, The Thief of Baghdad, The Golem, all The East Side Kids movies, Phantom of the Opera, Hunchback of ND, plus tons more. The only drawback is no extras, but extra material on DVD's is overrated anyway!

A great site is dvdpricesearch.com it compares the prices and shipping charges for the eight companies with the lowest prices. You can also look up customer comments about each. No company can be the cheapest on every title so I use two that have great service. deepdiscountdvd.com (low prices and free shipping) and dvdplanet.com (25%-30% off everything and a small shipping charge also huge stock of titles). I don't always go with the cheapest price. I don't mind spending a few cents more to use a company I trust.

Nick - I have seen many of the Alpha titles, but I stay away because I'm afraid they will be poor quality prints of the films. Whenever I see a classic like "Hunchback" for $6.00, I always assume that the picture quality will be bad. For instance, if you buy the $5.99 version of "His Girl Friday," it looks terrible compared to the $20 Columbia release of this film on DVD. The Columbia print is crystal clear, and was actually remastered from the original print. I'm VERY PICKY when it comes to this type of thing. I always like to have the best quality print possible. So, how's Alpha's? They seem committed to releasing classic films, but the price makes me wonder. How is the quality?

Hey Moviejoe, In my opinion the Alpha DVD's aren't that bad regarding picture quality. The musical arrangements on the silent movies are something to be desired. The music does not fit the scenes and it's on a loop so it just keeps playing back the same throughout the movie. I was quite impressed with the Phantom of the Opera DVD, it was color tinted at the Masquerade scene and the quality was pretty decent. I was however dissapointed that The Thief of Baghdad was not color tinted. Also I think one of the reasons these DVD's are so cheap is that you can only jump to 4 Chapters, and there are no extras, plus they only deal in older movies which should be cheap anyway. I give Picture Quality an 8, Music on the silents a 6. For me, definely worth $5.95 a piece.