Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A Question About Dressler And Beery:

Palmerin

how did they look when they were young? I take it they weren't old and wrinkled all their lives.

Speaking of WB, a comedy that was broadcast in the spring has the line of a woman character being so UGLY she makes Beery look EFFEMINATE. That makes me laugh because it reminds me of an anecdote of C Aubrey Smith. While filming the 1937 THE PRISONER OF ZENDA, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., confided to Smith his fear that playing Rupert of Hentzau would typecast him as a villain, whereupon the old veteran replied:

Young man, I have played every role of PRISONER except Princess Flavia, and I assure you, playing Hentzau will not typecast you!

EVERY ROLE OF PRISONER EXCEPT PRINCESS FLAVIA... in other words, the beetle browed beady eyed big nosed sharp jawed C Aubrey Smith put on drag to play Madame Antoinette de Mauban.

• Like 1

I am hoping they will do a film starring either Kathy Bates or Mary Mcarthy with Jack Nicholson in a remake of a Beery and Dressler film like Tugboat Annie.

Do you think a TUGBOAT ANNIE type movie would be marketable today? Would studios and audiences even be interested?

Do you think a TUGBOAT ANNIE type movie would be marketable today? Would studios and audiences even be interested?

If they do it as a "period piece" it might stand a chance.  You know, have it take place in the time period the original did?

Sepiatone

If they do it as a "period piece" it might stand a chance.  You know, have it take place in the time period the original did?

Do period pieces go over well now? And this film does not have a historical figure or event in it, so I think it would be a tough sell. Plus they would try to load it up with profanity and brief glimpses of nudity to "make it more interesting."

• Like 1

Beery2.jpg

This is a photo of Sirhan Sirhan.

This photo was an interstitial among Beery photos and was identified as being Wallace Beery. 'Course I might have known better.

Thanks for pointing this our to me. I'm glad somebody did.

:)

Do period pieces go over well now? And this film does not have a historical figure or event in it, so I think it would be a tough sell. Plus they would try to load it up with profanity and brief glimpses of nudity to "make it more interesting."

I would also doubt that a film like this would be popular with today's audience. Back in 1933 when this film was made most of the film audience lived in rural areas. Stars as Dressler, Will Rogers and Janet Gaynor were top box office attractions mainly due to the

large rural audience that loved them and went to the movie theaters to see them.

• Like 1

I would also doubt that a film like this would be popular with today's audience. Back in 1933 when this film was made most of the film audience lived in rural areas. Stars as Dressler, Will Rogers and Janet Gaynor were top box office attractions mainly due to the

large rural audience that loved them and went to the movie theaters to see them.

Yes, there's a reason studios don't remake all the stories they own. They know some of them are dated and have limited appeal to modern audiences.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings