Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ranker.com ranks the best films of *Bogart, *Sinatra, *Wayne & everything

spence

Has anyone heard of www.ranker.com?  It has an enormous site & ranks it's picks for the top 50 greatest on just about everything, including cinema

Fans can also vote in each section

For example, with *Sinatra they also voted on his best songs, as well as films

Although & typically of this era, it seems the majority of votes are for more recent fare?

I highly doubt it is typical of THIS ERA that more recent fare is selected;  what is 'current' is always going to be ranked higher. 

We see this with sports ranking all the time but movies and music as well.

• Like 1

Case in pint, for the top 50/100 all-time greatest films "ranker" voted;

1st *"The Godfather, Part 1"-(l972)-(also my personal fav.)

2. "Shawshank Redemption" (l994)

3. "Pulp Fiction' ('94)

4. "Star Wars" ('77)

5th place *"Forrest Gump" ('94)

6. "The Dark Knight" (2008)

7. "GoodFellas" (l990)

8. *"The Godfather, Part 11" ('74)

9. *"Schindler's List" ('93)

& 10th place "Fight Club" ('99)

(P.S. No "Kane" or *"Casablanca" or *Chaplin???)

And of "Ranker's" top ranking movie actors of all-time:

1st *Al Pacino

2. *Robert De Niro

3. *Jack Nicholson

4. *Tom Hanks

5th *Marlon Brando

6. *Anthony Hopkins

7. *Morgan Freeman

8. *Leonardo DiCaprio

9. *Daniel Day-Lewis-(NOTE: For my $ along w/*Hopkins the finest "Alive")

& 10th place *Dustin Hoffman

(P.S. & typically, no *Tracy?)

& "Ranker's" ranking all-time actresses: 

1st place  OOPs, didn't as yet get that list  BUT, strangely, the also listed the overall greatest actors/actresses-(combined)

& it's standings were different?

1st place *Tom Hanks

2. *Jack Nicholson

3. *Marlon Brando

4. *Robert De Niro

5th *Katharine Hepburn

6. *Audrey Hepburn

7. *James Stewart

8. *Al Pacino

9. *Meryl Streep

&10th place *Humphrey Bogart

(P.S. *Chaplin outrageously didn't make either list?)

They also covered Best Directors & just about everything

Got it  "ranker's" ranking for the top 10 our of 50 greatest actresses in motion picture history:

1st place *Meryl Streep

2. *Audrey Hepburn

3. *Katharine Hepburn

4. *Bette Davis

5th *Ingrid Bergman

6. *Vivien Leigh

7. *Elizabeth Taylor

8. *Jodie Foster

9. *Cate Blanchett

& 10th place with it's editor's: *Helen Mirren

& yet, Garbo was ranked all the way down at 48th?

As well as Stanwyck?

Thanks for replying!  However, if you go over some of it's lists' you'll see what I mean.  *Ford wasn't even in the top ten directors either?

But, your correct in a lot of these things being chosen due to being the newest, unfortunately, that doesn't always mean the best

Thanks for replying!  However, if you go over some of it's lists' you'll see what I mean.  *Ford wasn't even in the top ten directors either?

But, your correct in a lot of these things being chosen due to being the newest, unfortunately, that doesn't always mean the best

Spence;  It appears you misunderstood the point I was making.    One needs to compare a poll taken in 1930,  1940,  1950, 1960, etc...  and compare those to ones take in 1990,  2000,  2010, and today. 

My assumption is that as time marches forward 'older' actors, directors, musicians,  etc... are replaced by more recent ones.

That's true of the general, casual movie-going public, but for movie critics and bigger movie fans, like the average regular TCM viewer, the opposite is often true. They never seem to like the cinema of their day, but rather the "way they used to make them". And the further back you go, the further back that threshold between quality and mediocrity goes. I recently read Kevin Brownlow's The Parade's Gone By, published originally in 1968, about the silent film era, and he and many of the interview subjects state repeatedly that the silent era was the only good film era, that everything that came after in the sound era was inferior. If you read criticism from different eras, they always lionize the era previously, and denigrate the current one. Nostalgia is inescapable, for many, it seems.

That's true of the general, casual movie-going public, but for movie critics and bigger movie fans, like the average regular TCM viewer, the opposite is often true. They never seem to like the cinema of their day, but rather the "way they used to make them". And the further back you go, the further back that threshold between quality and mediocrity goes. I recently read Kevin Brownlow's The Parade's Gone By, published originally in 1968, about the silent film era, and he and many of the interview subjects state repeatedly that the silent era was the only good film era, that everything that came after in the sound era was inferior. If you read criticism from different eras, they always lionize the era previously, and denigrate the current one. Nostalgia is inescapable, for many, it seems.

Good points.   I was going to add to my post; 'depends on who is being asked'.     

In addition people can only (or should only),  comment on what they have been exposed to.    I admit that out of all the films I have seen only about 10% are post studio-era films.     Therefore my top 50 films list would be mostly studio-era films.  

Based on the 'I just watched' thread you find the time to see many, many more films than I,  from all eras.    Therefore I respect an opinion from someone like you when films from various eras are compared because you have done the homework. 

Me?  I'm still trying to learn to be a solid jazz guitar player!   :lol:

I like lists but, this will undoubtedly be one of those exercises where they list top ten, then complain about who didn't make the list. Isn't that why its a "top ten ?" , to include whom they think are the absolute best ?

Spence;  It appears you misunderstood the point I was making.    One needs to compare a poll taken in 1930,  1940,  1950, 1960, etc...  and compare those to ones take in 1990,  2000,  2010, and today. 

My assumption is that as time marches forward 'older' actors, directors, musicians,  etc... are replaced by more recent ones.

Also, there is that concept that what was shocking in 1930 is commonplace today. What was innovative in 1940 is obsolete in 2016. Then there was the code. A world war two film in 1944 will have a different effect than an Iraq war in 2016 will have. There are so many factors.

For some, no modern actor can every surpass a classic actor. And if an actor is considered the beginner of a trend, how could an actor 100 years later be a beginner of anything ? Its best to look at how the 1930's were rated in 1940 in my opinion. 

And any ranking list be taken with a grain of salt. And just use it as an ice breaker to a lively debate.   

I think it's arbitrary and pretentious for anyone to presume they're qualified to decide what's somebody else's "best" of anything.   I see "waste of time and print" lists like this and often wonder what the people LISTED in them think.  Maybe someone or WE think "this-or-that" is somebody's "best", but for all we know( or THINK we do)  they might have a different idea. 

Remember...what so many people THINK is "best" really doesn't mean it IS.  Think FEAR FACTOR .

Sepatone

• Like 1

I think it's arbitrary and pretentious for anyone to presume they're qualified to decide what's somebody else's "best" of anything.   I see "waste of time and print" lists like this and often wonder what the people LISTED in them think.  Maybe someone or WE think "this-or-that" is somebody's "best", but for all we know( or THINK we do)  they might have a different idea. 

Remember...what so many people THINK is "best" really doesn't mean it IS.  Think FEAR FACTOR .

Sepatone

I agree Sepatone:   I have my top ten favourites within many categories and even these change over time with exposure to different actors, directors, cameraman, writers, even down to art and costume designers.  I don't need someone else to tell me...I am still able to think for myself, unlike many within today's population.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings