Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ava Gardner looks just like Hedy Lamarr

sjack827

It's uncanny -- todays star is listed on the TCM home screen is Ava Gardner but the photo show is of Hedy Lamarr.  On the summer under the stars website todays star is listed as Hedy. So who is it?

Somebody (webmaster?) really dropped the ball.

• Like 1

It's uncanny -- todays star is listed on the TCM home screen is Ava Gardner but the photo show is of Hedy Lamarr.  On the summer under the stars website todays star is listed as Hedy. So who is it?

Somebody (webmaster?) really dropped the ball.

I can see Hedy and Ava being confused, more so than Hedy and, say, Marie Dressler

Reason for this is probably because TCM Backlot members were allowed to choose the honoree for August 1st (they picked Edward G. Robinson over James Cagney) and the honoree for today (they picked Hedy Lamarr over Ava Gardner). But obviously, someone at TCM made an error and this is all unnecessarily confusing.

Ava does not look like Hedy.

Oh, I dunno 'bout that, Cid.

Ya see, it seems whenever I have that beautiful menage a trois dream of mine at night and where in it I roll over in bed after gazing upon the lovely Ava and then turn to Hedy, for a split second I always feel there's a BIT of a resemblance 'tween the two of 'em anyway!

(...but of course Hedy's features seem a little more "porcelain" than do Ava's up close, and Hedy doesn't have that sexy little cleft in her chin like Ava does)

;)

• Like 1

It seems whenever I have that beautiful menage a trois dream of mine at night and where in it I roll over in bed after gazing upon the lovely Ava and then turn to Hedy, for a split second I always feel there's a BIT of a resemblance 'tween the two of 'em anyway!

(...but of course Hedy's features seem a little more "porcelain" than do Ava's up close, and Hedy doesn't have that sexy little cleft in her chin like Ava does)

TMDI. Too much dream information. LOL

Mine are never as pleasant after I watch classic movies. I'm usually trapped in a fire and Mrs. Danvers is blocking the door out. The rafters start falling and it doesn't look like I will survive.

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-08-10%2Bat%2B9.50.4

• Like 1

Oh, I dunno 'bout that, Cid.

Ya see, it seems whenever I have that beautiful menage a trois dream of mine at night and where in it I roll over in bed after gazing upon the lovely Ava and then turn to Hedy, for a split second I always feel there's a BIT of a resemblance 'tween the two of 'em anyway!

;)

Hey Dargo, you should get into reviewing faces, yer purty good.

looking at those faces are purty good too

No she doesn't.

Hedy Lamarr was beautiful, almost perfect-looking.

I never thought Ava was "beautiful". Sexy,maybe. But except for the dark hair, these two female stars do not resemble each other at all.

...I never really understood all the fuss about Ava. Her looks, I mean. I respect her as an actress, in fact she can be quite likable ( as in her character in Night of the Iguana, for instance.) But I never really got why she's always spoken of as one of the ultimate beauties of Hollywood. Maybe you have to be a straight male to appreciate her particular style of attractiveness.

• Like 3

No she doesn't.

Hedy Lamarr was beautiful, almost perfect-looking.

I never thought Ava was "beautiful". Sexy,maybe. But except for the dark hair, these two female stars do not resemble each other at all.

...I never really understood all the fuss about Ava. Her looks, I mean. I respect her as an actress, in fact she can be quite likable ( as in her character in Night of the Iguana, for instance.) But I never really got why she's always spoken of as one of the ultimate beauties of Hollywood. Maybe you have to be a straight male to appreciate her particular style of attractiveness.

Totally with you on this.  I never thought Ava Gardner was beautiful --  striking, for sure, but not beautiful.  Certainly not in the sense of a "classic beauty" like Hedy Lamarr, Grace Kelly, Vivian Leigh, Gene Tierney, Elizabeth Taylor, etc. Loved Ava's "sass" (she is the best part of Mogambo, to be sure) but never thought her looks were anything special.

• Like 2

Ava Gardner was sexy, and there can be a large gulf between classically beautiful and sexy. Grace Kelly was beautiful, but about as sexy as a damp towel. Ava Gardner was very sexy. (just my opinion, of course)

I think Hedy Lamarr was both.

• Like 6

Ava Gardner was sexy, and there can be a large gulf between classically beautiful and sexy. Grace Kelly was beautiful, but about as sexy as a damp towel. Ava Gardner was very sexy. (just my opinion, of course)

I think Hedy Lamarr was both.

Yeah, I think Hedy had it all (including an arrest record). That's why Backlot members chose her to be honored today, not Ava.

Hedy Lamarr was beautiful but she always had, to me, an aloof quality on screen. Her "I am Tondelayo" closeup in White Cargo is memorable, though.

Ava Gardner was beautiful but also had a sensual, earthy quality about her.

I would NEVER mistake one for the other.

Neither actress appeared in films that I would consider outstanding but Gardner did, at least, have The Killers, Mogambo, On the Beach and Night of the Iguana as part of her film resume.

On the other hand, Lamarr had a high I.Q. and was an inventor. As per Wiki:

At the beginning of World War II, Lamarr and composer George Antheil developed a radio guidance system for Allied torpedoes, which used spread spectrum and frequency hopping technology to defeat the threat of jamming by the Axis powers. Though the US Navy did not adopt the technology until the 1960s, the principles of their work are now incorporated into modern Wi-Fi, CDMA and Bluetooth technology, and this work led to their being inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2014.

• Like 4

I always thought Hedy Lamarr was absolutely beautiful. So did L. B. Mayer. When she was

signed on to MGM he kept her first name but changed her last name to Lamarr as she reminded

Mayer of Barbara Lamarr. Barbara was a silent screen star known as "the girl who was too beautiful".

However, I never cared much for Ava Gardner. Her face seems too harsh. I just don't think she's

that attractive.

I always thought Hedy Lamarr was absolutely beautiful. So did L. B. Mayer. When she was

signed on to MGM he kept her first name but changed her last name to Lamarr as she reminded

Mayer of Barbara Lamarr. Barbara was a silent screen star known as "the girl who was too beautiful".

However, I never cared much for Ava Gardner. Her face seems too harsh. I just don't think she's

that attractive.

She was attractive (to me) but not beautiful in the class of those who are really considered such (Lamarr, Liz, etc) IMO.

Her face looks "harsh" because she seems to have a large face and IMO most often not an abundant enough hairdo to balance it out. An exception would be her smashing looks in The Killers, I've never seen her better. She was more sexy than beautiful but beautiful nonetheless in that one.

Without more elaborate hair mass, her face comes across as a bit loud.

that attractive.

Harsh? Overall, on a scale from 1 to 10, I would rate Ava an 11. Her body was much better than Hedy's. Even her face was sexier.

• Like 1

My humble opinion,Hedy was the most beautiful woman in the first 50 years on the Silver Screen,no wonder all the famous photographers of the era wanted to have photo sessions with her,the results were fantastic.Too bad Mayer did not know what to do with after he signed in 1938...her carrerwould have been better with Zanuck at Fox,imagine her with Tyrone Power!

• Like 2

Too bad Mayer did not know what to do with after he signed in 1938...her carrerwould have been better with Zanuck at Fox,imagine her with Tyrone Power!

Interesting idea. Yes, she might have been served better at Fox. But after her contract with Metro ended, she still didn't go to Fox-- she signed with Paramount instead and made SAMSON AND DELILAH, which is arguably her greatest motion picture.

Interesting idea. Yes, she might have been served better at Fox. But after her contract with Metro ended, she still didn't go to Fox-- she signed with Paramount instead and made SAMSON AND DELILAH, which is arguably her greatest motion picture.

Hedy was paired with popular MGM actors like Gable, Tracy and Stewart as well as actors like William Powell during her time at MGM.  Most were first rate 'A' productions,  so I don't understand the comment that Mayer didn't know what to do with her.   E.g. what should Mayer have done with her?  

• Like 1

After her MGM she was disatisfied with the majors so Zanuck knew she was not interested in any contract. she decided to go into production which was a fatal mistake,the 2 movies tanked,The Strange Woman and Dishonored Lady,she lost mot of her money in the 2 movies, she was chosen by De Mille for Delilah

that attractive.

Ava was more "mom" ;  Hedy was more "French maid"

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings