Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wow, this one just left me totally cold (first time I've seen)... Having watched RO's interview w/ the director, I wanted to give it a chance, but -- after the promising first scene (following the woman through a series of doors; the opening was also cool, with great 50s fashion photos) -- *yawn*... And here I'm a Fred Astaire fan, too!!! While Audrey Hepburn's lovely to look at in form and movement, I concluded I find her speaking/singing voice and acting style rather more "affected" than affecting...

Message was edited by:

otterhere

It was my first time too and I have to agree with you...it will not be going on my list. I'm a big fan of Astaire and Hepburn...and Richard Avedon and Edith Head...but there seemed to be something missing for me...maybe ACDC's "Back In Black." :)

This was my first time seeing this as well, and I ended erasing my just recorded copy of it, knowing I would probably not see it again. Musicals are not my favorite movie genre unless there is allot of great comedy thrown like in Du barry was a Lady, or Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Other than Audrey Hepburn being at her absolutely most beautiful, I thought the movie was rather dull.

I have to disagree. This Donen musical.is one of my all-time favorites. For me it rates slightly below SINGIN IN THE RAIN and THE BAND WAGON. It's an ultra sophisticated musical that has gorgeous location shots, great Gershwin songs and imaginative musical numbers. For some reason this Astaire musical turns some people off and I am totally puzzled. I've seen FUNNY FACE maybe a dozen times now I have never found the film to be dull.

I agree with you Edgecliff---this musical has given me so much joy over the years and seeing it again last night after a long time I was affected just the same. So much so that I want to see if I can find it on dvd. :) I am not a huge fan of musicals, but those set in Paris tend to resonate with me (Funny Face, Gigi, American in Paris).

Miss G

I have to voice my support for this imaginative and highly stylish musical (the opening titles were designed by Richard Avedon and Pedro Almodovar's cult favorite, "Women On The Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" offers a loving homage

to that memorable main title sequence).

I just find this movie thoroughly delectable -- from Kay Thompson's inventive "Think Pink!" number to adorable Audrey's "How Long Has This Been Going On?" crooned between the stacks of existentialist literature at Embryo Concepts.

Gershwin. Audrey. Astaire...plus the hilarious world of haute couture. What a dazzling combination.

I'm really glad that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences honored auteur Stanley Donen as he was a wonderfully innovative and creative filmmaker

who always went the extra mile to make his films captivating and extremely original for audiences.

I've seen it numerous times, and usually don't bother with it any more. However, the attributes that I appreciate are:

1) The opportunity to see Kay Thompson at work. Ms. Thompson was a voice coach at MGM and was a big influence on close friend Judy Garland's work. She was a legendary party guest; put her next to the piano and she would entertain like nobody's business. She was Liza Minnelli's godmother, and little Liza is said to be the inspiration for the wonderfully sophisticated series of children's book that Ms. Thompson wrote: Eloise. "Think Pink" is a great introduction of this ebullient woman. She only made a couple of other film appearances.

2) After Kay Thompson, I await the fashion shoot sequence; especially the moment Audrey Hepburn descends the Louvre's Daru staircase with the Winged Victory of Samothrace hovering overhead. Hepburn's red scarf wafting above her head in a manner that seems so perfectly choreographed, it's surely a miracle of the "decisive moment".

It seems like "Funny Face" is a favorite of foreign filmmakers...WaldoLydecker wrote of Almodovar's homage in "Women On The Verge Of A Nervous Breakdown."

Mr. Burley, your mention of the flowing red scarf reminds me of a scene in Krzysztof Kieslowski's "Red-"with the model, Valentine. I wonder if that was an homage?