Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Way Down East (1920) is one of Lillian Gish's best in my opinion, her acting was really superb. It did surprise me though, its theme was very scandalous and some of the intertitles were a little shocking! Lillian's character was very likeable, it was not hard to sympathize with her situation. Before I knew it, I was entranced by the story and the committed performance by the actors. They really did give it their all on this picture, during the famous icy river scene, Lillian Gish was actually harmed; one of her hands and her hair trailed in the water as she floated down a real river towards a small waterfall. Her hair froze, and for the rest of her life, she suffered from nerve damage in her fingers (due to the icy water). It is amazing to me how hard these people worked to create this masterpiece. Has anyone seen this one?

It's been some years since I've seen it last, but I still recall those amazing river scenes. Reading about the film's making really puts into perspective what those early pioneers of film went through for their craft. 

• Like 1