Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
trevor

December Christmas ad

I love the new spot. All my favorite movies put me in the mood for the holidays. I love the storyline at the front. Very pretty and fun.

what holiday movie are the two people falling down in the snow laughing from? I think I figured out most of the rest of the films.

Trevor, are you talking about the new Holiday sequence with the little dog in it? I think it was a black and white pit bull... A little girl in the window petting it. If so, I've seen it only once but loved seeing all the Holiday films! If not excuse the intrusion... :) I love the fact a pit bull was represented in the one I saw, along with a child. Nice to see them being portrayed in a good light for once.

bhf1940

Hi Trevor -

The laughing couple in the snow bank is from "A Christmas Carol" with Reginald Owen. It can be seen on Saturday 23rd and Monday 25th.

Kyle In Hollywood

I thought the images were lovely but was not that impressed with the music. It was not dramatic enough to be dramatic, not dreamy enough to be dreamy. Does anyone know who did it?

I love the Christmas ad. I've been catching myself singing "I'd like you...for Christmas" under my breath for the past few days, but I just have to wonder: how old is the girl in the ad? She looks around 10 or 11. Would she know who Gary Cooper is or am I just not giving her enough credit?

Of course, I'm taking this from my own personality, as I didn't know who Gary Cooper was until I was in my teens. I've made a promise to myself that if I ever have kids, I'm educating them on classic movies as soon as they can read.

"I love the Christmas ad. I've been catching myself singing "I'd like you...for Christmas" under my breath for the past few days, but I just have to wonder: how old is the girl in the ad? She looks around 10 or 11. Would she know who Gary Cooper is or am I just not giving her enough credit?"

Yea, let's give her the benefit of the doubt. I know I was a freakish kid, but at age nine I was spouting movie facts and explaining to anyone who would listen how Samuel Goldfish became Samuel Goldwyn and the influence of Thalberg at MGM. My aunt was astonished at first, but finally began taking advantage of her weird nephew's penchant for movies: "What was that movie with all the rocking chairs?" "Why Aunt Helen, that was Gold Diggers of 1937!"

Kids are sponges for this stuff. Don't underestimate them. :)

> Of course, I'm taking this from my own personality,

> as I didn't know who Gary Cooper was until I was in

> my teens. I've made a promise to myself that if I

> ever have kids, I'm educating them on classic movies

> as soon as they can read.

When I was little and my parents would watch old movies with me, I'd always ask them desperately "who is that" and they'd always, always say "a famous old actor" -- then when I turned 13 I got seriously hooked on old movies, and I started learning their names, and I wished so badly that my parents had told me from the beginning or it wouldn't have taken me so long to get hooked! Now my little brother is turning 12, and he knows the names of everyone from Greta Garbo to Walter Huston to Madge Evans, and has since he was about seven! Anyone out there with kids or little siblings, start teaching them early!!!! :) It's the best way to keep these wonderful movies alive through the generations!

I like the ad but wonder who did it. Again it looks like a Raygun - musical background, clips of movies, and someone looking out a window (or off a balcony). Don't these guys have any imagination at all? How about Judy Garland singing "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" with computer-image mice, or kittens, or puppies decorating a tree with ornaments with movies, names and years on them e.g.,

White Christmas - 1954 - Bing Crosby

A Christmas Carol - 1938 - Reginald Owen

Wonderful Life - 1946 - James Stewart

Holiday Inn - 1942 - Fred Astaire

Christmas in Conn. - 1945 - Barbara Stanwyck

Miracle on 34th St. - 1947 - Maureen O'Hara

A Christmas Story - 1983 - Darren McGavin

With all the computer advantages that advertisers have these days, you would think TCM would get an ad agency that uses their heads a little. The one they're using now is getting a little repetitious, don't you think?

Anne

great info kyle. You've spurred my memory. Mrsl to me, the xmas ad has a magical feeling, more than any other xmas spot this year. Most of the xmas ads are flashy where this one seems to be trying for more soul while still being flashy.

I also agree its nice to see a pitbull eating snow, not mauling a child like the news always shows.

> great info kyle. You've spurred my memory. Mrsl to

> me, the xmas ad has a magical feeling, more than any

> other xmas spot this year. Most of the xmas ads are

> flashy where this one seems to be trying for more

> soul while still being flashy.

It seems to me to be done in a style that was popular in the late '50s. Every now and the the theaters would show a Christmas promo like this, either for upcoming Christmas movies or for the advertisements shown in-between the movies. Whoever makes TCM promos always does a good job.

The TCM December spot sort of reminds me of an "Old Navy"...maybe, a "Target" stores advertisement.

Fred...is the TCM ad similar to a 1950's commercial? If 1950's style is again popular...I want to see some dancing popcorn boxes and smiling soda cups on my television.

Let's all go to the movies...

Rusty

> Fred...is the TCM ad similar to a 1950's commercial?

> If 1950's style is again popular...

Yes, there were some like this in the '40s, '50s, and early '60s. Usually kids waking up in the middle of the night and seeing Santa flying through the sky, or waking up on Christmas morning and seeing all the presents under the tree. Lots of happy smiling faces. Lol, the kids first introduction to consumerism. A great annual American celebration. The theaters would run these and then run a bunch of commercials for local stores.

In my opinion this one is much better than the promos from previous months. I didn't have to hurry and turn down the volume!