Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

STREET ANGEL (1928). Tonight on TCM in Prime-time!

A Masterpiece of Silent Movie making from prolific director Frank Borzage. One of my favorites. Airing at 10:00 PM Eastern/9:00 PM Central! Don't miss it! First time on TCM since early 2011! Who knows when it will be shown again??? It's possible this could be the debut of the new 4k transfer that Fox was working on. Probably not. The last and only time previously that TCM aired this movie the transfer looked rather dark, dull and battered during many scenes. I know better quality materials exist, even before the new 4k restoration. Fabulous vintage Movie-tone score! Hopefully, they obtained better prints of the early Talkie SUNNY SIDE UP as well?

13995418_10210550210021718_8273465441287
13924962_10210568408356665_9897458466454
  • Like 6

I would love to see this again.  I love Frank Borzage's earlier work:  "Street Angel", "Lucky Star", "7th Heaven"... my favorite by him is "Lazybones".  It's a sweet, moving story that never (imo) becomes overly soppy or sentimental.

• Like 1

I remember seeing Street Angel on TCM when they aired it a few years ago. I really liked it, thought it was touching and evocative in that way that only silent movies can be.

Speaking of which, I'm very surprised that Janet Gaynor's SUTS day did not include Sunrise, a great silent film and a nice vehicle for Gaynor. I know TCM has or can get the rights to it, as they have shown it in the past. It seems very odd that on a day celebrating this actress' work, Sunrise, one of the best films she was ever in, was not on the schedule.

• Like 2

I cannot provide specifics, but this year's offerings seem to have focused more towards the lesser seen movies of highlighted artists - and when their regularly shown movies are included (if at all), they are often squeezed into the very late night or wee morning hours.

• Like 2

I remember seeing Street Angel on TCM when they aired it a few years ago. I really liked it, thought it was touching and evocative in that way that only silent movies can be.

Speaking of which, I'm very surprised that Janet Gaynor's SUTS day did not include Sunrise, a great silent film and a nice vehicle for Gaynor. I know TCM has or can get the rights to it, as they have shown it in the past. It seems very odd that on a day celebrating this actress' work, Sunrise, one of the best films she was ever in, was not on the schedule.

Yes, I watched Street Angel when they first showed it maybe five years ago? This time I recorded it and plan to watch it again soon. Sunrise was on constant rotation for awhile. I guess the rental agreement lapsed.