Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lolmsted23

Katharine Hepburn Passes

I JUST read that Katharine Hepburn passed away today at the age of 96. As a long time fan and defender of the great lady, I wanted to post a small tribute to her as a wonderfully entertaining actress and personality. She had the ability to capture my attention, amuse me, and move me to tears in so many of her films. Her diversity on the screen has rarely been matched by American actresses since, though at times her OWN personality shone through in a role. Many times that is what made the character so appealing. Not only have I enjoyed almost every one of her 50+ films, I truly enjoyed her autobiography, ME, all three times I read it. She had a way of telling a story with a wit and sensitivity that touched your heart and brought you a little closer to knowing her as a person. Thank you Kate for your talent, grace, and beauty!

Laura, you put it beautifully---funny that we both posted at the same time. But then, we both have slightly broken hearts tonight, eh? If you have cable, you may wish to view the CNN repeat of the Houghton interview with Larry King that I mentioned in my posting. It's being repeated at 9pm ET and 12am this evening. I hope that Mr. Osborne is able to record his thoughts on this death TCM soon. I hope there will be a day devoted to her films soon. Take care and thanks for sharing your appreciation.

Katharine Hepburn is the reason I love classic movies. I am 31 years old and I first saw her in "Adam's Rib" when I was 12 or 13 and have been a huge fan ever since. "Adam's Rib" remains a favorite of mine today. I just love her movies with Spencer Tracy or any movie for that fact. What a class act. I am looking forward to the all day tribute to her on July 10. What a great way to spend the day. She was just fabulous.

You are all so right. I don't think we will ever see the likes of her talent again. Almost all of her generation of film legends are gone now - Gregory Peck, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda, Cary Grant, and so many others. I believe that Kate embodied the very soul of American womanhood at a time when "bombshell" was the selling buzzword in Hollywood. A bombshell she was not, she was the bomb itself, and she exploded on the silver screen with radiance, regality, intellect, charm and wit - traits that so many of her modern day counterparts could not personify if they tried. My favorites are "Undercurrent", "The Philadelphia Story", "Guess Whose Coming to Dinner", "Bringing up Baby" and "On Golden Pond." Goodbye Kate, and thank you. Be an Angel now, be an Angel among Angels.

It was Philadelphia Story that got me hooked into the classics. When I first met my wife she had told me that she loved the old black and white moveis. At the time time I did not care to much for them. She had me watch the classis Philadelphia Story. Wow what a great film!

then came Bring up Baby. That led to the Hepburn/Tracy collection. That first film has lead me to not only Hepburn but Grant and Stewart, who lead me to Arthur, Dunn, and Rogers. Who lead me Powell, Astarie, Loy, Stanwyck and MacMurray and on and on. It may seem silly to say but my wife and I feel grateful that Kate Hepburn and her movies have been apart of our lifetime. We will miss her being here but we do have the movies. It is nice to think her and Spence are finally together - though she sure kept him waiting.

Tonight my wife and I will watch Guess Who's Coming to Dinner. That speech by Spencer at the end and the way Kate looks at him knowing his condition is priceless and seem appropriate