Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Ultimate Aspect Ratio Guide For Filmmakers

hamradio

It's AMAZING that well over 50% of people do not even recognise the incorrect aspect ratio on their TV. I'll say, "Don't you see that person is wide & squatty looking?" and they do not until I switch their TV setting.

"oh"

And now with more & more digital presentations in theaters, I'm seeing more & more incorrect aspect ration on the big screen.

Haha, thought I saw "Grandpa-scope" in that list.

It is amazing. It's getting to the point where every movie on my tv (from my provider) seems to be delivered in a different ratio. More and more I find myself adjusting my settings to accommodate this. The situation has deteriorated to the point where in order to see the full original image, I have to set my settings to, as you say, "wide & squatty". Some of the films don't look too bad this way, but most do and I can't tolerate them - so I switch to full screen and accept the small losses.

... SpaceVision..

:lol:

• Like 1

It is amazing. It's getting to the point where every movie on my tv (from my provider) seems to be delivered in a different ratio. More and more I find myself adjusting my settings to accommodate this. The situation has deteriorated to the point where in order to see the full original image, I have to set my settings to, as you say, "wide & squatty". Some of the films don't look too bad this way, but most do and I can't tolerate them - so I switch to full screen and accept the small losses.

... SpaceVision..

People so lucky to have smarter friends.

My first exposure to Tohoscope would be in 1960 and after this then 8 year old would suggest to my parents we all go see the following newly released film...

battle-in-outer-space-aka-uchu-everett.j

(...I mean, what red-blooded young American boy back then wouldn't want to go see a movie featuring rocket ships and space stations, and even IF what the actors are sayin' in it doesn't seemed synced with their lip-movements, RIGHT?!...I mean, rocket ships AND space stations?!...what's not to like, RIGHT?!)

• Like 1

even IF what the actors are sayin' in it doesn't seemed synced with their lip-movements

Throughout childhood, my best friend thought that was a physical trait of Asians.

(until she saw her first Italian "Sampson" picture as a teen)

I then had to 'splain it to her.

• Like 1

even IF what the actors are sayin' in it doesn't seemed synced with their lip-movements

Throughout childhood, my best friend thought that was a physical trait of Asians.

(until she saw her first Italian "Sampson" picture as a teen)

I then had to 'splain it to her.

For those who are interested in such things, here is an article discussing the restoration of the CinemaScope 55 versions of The King and I and Carousel films, work which was first done around 2004.

https://www.theasc.com/magazine/june05/postfocus/page1.html

I noticed this while looking into the Fathom events theatrical presentation of The King and I coming up on August 28.

As a side note I also found a review of the Blu-Ray for The King and I which was first issued as part of the Rodgers and Hammerstein Collection back in 2014.  Screen shots for this review show how disappointing the color looks in the Blu-Ray version, showing a bluish and brownish tint.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-King-and-I-Blu-ray/47170/#Review

The color in the TCM advertisement for the theatrical presentation of The King and I, however, looks very nice and is what we are used to seeing in the best Technicolor restorations of other such films shown on TCM.  This should make for a very nice experience for those going to the theaters.  Here's hoping that this version of the film will eventually make its way to a new Blu-Ray release as well.

• Like 1

For those who are interested in such things, here is an article discussing the restoration of the CinemaScope 55 versions of The King and I and Carousel films, work which was first done around 2004.

https://www.theasc.com/magazine/june05/postfocus/page1.html

I noticed this while looking into the Fathom events theatrical presentation of The King and I coming up on August 28.

As a side note I also found a review of the Blu-Ray for The King and I which was first issued as part of the Rodgers and Hammerstein Collection back in 2014.  Screen shots for this review show how disappointing the color looks in the Blu-Ray version, showing a bluish and brownish tint.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-King-and-I-Blu-ray/47170/#Review

The color in the TCM advertisement for the theatrical presentation of The King and I, however, looks very nice and is what we are used to seeing in the best Technicolor restorations of other such films shown on TCM.  This should make for a very nice experience for those going to the theaters.  Here's hoping that this version of the film will eventually make its way to a new Blu-Ray release as well.

That disappointing blue/brown tint has taken over the film industry - it's a blue and gold digital "enhancement". It's distressing to see it utilized in this manner.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings