Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Age does not matter in Hollywood?

The only thing that matters when you make Hollywood movies is Cinematic chemistry and box office clout.

If it works it makes money. And even if it doesn't work, if somebody will pay money to see one of them no matter what - - that's what counts.

I remember when I was a kid I went to see Sophia Loren and Tony Perkins in Five Miles to Midnight. Some people would say they were an odd couple but I was willing to pay money to see Sophia Loren in anything. And I'm sure Tony Perkins had his fans who were there as well. Together I don't know if they worked or not.

The people were in the movie theater paying money and buying concessions.

And I got to see Sophia on the big screen and I had a good time-- I got my money's worth.

The only thing that matters when you make Hollywood movies is Cinematic chemistry and box office clout.

If it works it makes money. And even if it doesn't work, if somebody will pay money to see one of them no matter what - - that's what counts.

I remember when I was a kid I went to see Sophia Loren and Tony Perkins in Five Miles to Midnight. Some people would say they were an odd couple but I was willing to pay money to see Sophia Loren in anything. And I'm sure Tony Perkins had his fans who were there as well. Together I don't know if they worked or not.

The people were in the movie theater paying money and buying concessions.

And I got to see Sophia on the big screen and I had a good time-- I got my money's worth.

They did not. That is a prime example of lack of chemistry. They could no more be a couple than Wallace Beery and Sandra Dee.

See, I think they did work together. And it was their second screen pairing. A few years earlier Paramount costarred them in DESIRE UNDER THE ELMS, and they were great in that film too.

• 2 years later...

In the Peter Brook King Lear, Irene Worth plays Goneril, while being five years older than Paul Scofield, who plays Lear.  On the one hand, actors are rarely Lear's age (he says in the play that he is eighty).  On the other hand, it is odd that Lear wishes Goneril be either sterile or cursed with ungrateful children when Worth was in her mid-fifties.

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:47 PM, NickAndNora34 said:

I find it interesting how in "All Fall Down" (1962), Angela Lansbury played Warren Beatty's mother, although she was only 12 years older than he. Unfortunately, Angela's roles got older faster than she did.

Angela Lansbury also played Elvis Presley's mother in "Blue Hawaii" yet she was only 9 years older than Elvis. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, midnight08 said:

Angela Lansbury also played Elvis Presley's mother in "Blue Hawaii" yet she was only 9 years older than Elvis. 

This casting has happened numerous times in HOLLYWOOD HISTORY