Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for a made for TV movie title

LsDoorMat

This movie was made in 1980-1981. I thought that it starred David Soul but I cannot find a match in his filmography. It was about a builder who is living in his van in the slums. He is a white guy from -I think - a rural area living in a poor black part of a city. It had something to do with him helping the slum residents fix up the place. I think he makes friends with a few of the residents but most don't trust him. Other than this I remember very little. For example I can't remember why he drove to this particular neighborhood and why he was living in his van.

Any help would be appreciated.

This could possibly be Dream House - a 1981 TV movie with John Schneider and Marilu Henner.

More info  HERE

That's it! You truly have a dizzying memory or at least a dizzying database! Thank you so much! Looking 35 years back I can see how I might get David Soul confused with John Schneider.

• Like 1

That's it! You truly have a dizzying memory or at least a dizzying database! Thank you so much! Looking 35 years back I can see how I might get David Soul confused with John Schneider.

If you like TV movies about construction workers, there's another good one from the early 80s called Hard Hat and Legs which pairs Kevin Dobson and Sharon Gless. The script was written by Ruth Gordon & Garson Kanin, who brought us ADAM'S RIB and PAT AND MIKE.

If you like TV movies about construction workers, there's another good one from the early 80s called Hard Hat and Legs which pairs Kevin Dobson and Sharon Gless. The script was written by Ruth Gordon & Garson Kanin, who brought us ADAM'S RIB and PAT AND MIKE.

It's not the construction worker angle that I remembered so much or made it stick out. It was two things. Living in crime ridden Dallas at the time, I couldn't get over that this guy was living in his van in such a bad neighborhood. Like most bad neighborhoods, the vast majority of the people are just poor. However, it just takes one bad apple to break into your van, shoot you in the head, and take your stuff. And nobody will say anything because they don't want to be next. My mother taught me the difference between a primary and secondary crime scene when I was in elementary school, so I knew all about crime before I even knew the facts of life.

The second thing? The fact that the construction worker found "Mississippi red pine (oak?) was the wood that the tenements were built of, and according to him, this stuff practically petrified with age. I don't know why I remembered that , but I did.

• Like 1

The second thing? The fact that the construction worker found "Mississippi red pine (oak?) was the wood that the tenements were built of, and according to him, this stuff practically petrified with age. I don't know why I remembered that , but I did.

There's either red oak, or yellow pine.  It would be unusual to frame buildings of either wood.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings