Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
moirafinnie12

Katherine Hepburn Leaves Us

This evening's news brings the report that Katherine Hepburn--beautiful, independent, infuriating to some, and an exemplar of the independent, liberated woman in the 20th century--many of us who loved her many roles may feel as though we've lost a family member.

Her niece, Katharine Houghton recently appeared on Larry King, and explained that on some days, she would turn to whomever was visiting her and inquire, "Where's Spencer?" I think she knows where he is now. She'll live on, of course, in all her incandesence, whenever her films are shown again. Thank you, Kate.

I just watched "Headliners and Legends" on MSNBC which featured the great Kate in all her glory.

She certainly was quite a woman and I always respected her for her honesty, her stand on women's rights and for not talking politics as most stars do.

I'll always remember when I saw her in person in New York as she was leaving her play "West Side Waltz". Before she came out the crowd was warned not to take any pictures and we respected that. She finally came prancing out, her head shaking a bit but with a cordial smile on her face.

Her elderly chauffer was waiting and off they both rode down the street in an old station wagon.

Rest in peace Kate.

Mongo

Just watched another tribute to the great Kate on Larry King Live with a whole gaggle of guest. Most impressive is that Spencer Tracy's daughter Susie participated on the program via phone. In due respect to her late mother however she chose not to discuss her fathers long standing affair with Kate.

Some funny stories were shared among the guest about Kate's sense of humor and her good heart.

She was quite a gal.

Mongo

I don't know why, but I always felt comforted by the fact that she was still living. Just knowing that the there was still a link between the golden age of film and today made me think there was hope. She was definately the greatest actress this country has ever seen. Stage or screen.

Cooper, I feel the same exact way that you do. For some reason I always thought, "Oh, I might have a chance to meet her someday and learn about films of the past." (?) She's one of those that I always somehow felt connected to, like I knew her and I will truly miss her.

What a great opportunity to express feelings of such a great lady. I had the opportunity 30 + years ago to see her in COCO in Los Angeles. I had no idea at the time what I was experiencing but am so happy to have had the chance to witness her live performance on stage and the memory of it to be of such comfort today. Thanks Kate for all of your wonderful performances and for the example of being a REAL person.

I too will miss the incomparable Katherine Hepburn. Although she was 96, I was honestly shocked when I heard the news Sunday afternoon. She was such a vibrant woman, you thought that she could go on forever.

I grew up watching her films, and over the years have developed a love not only for her brilliant work, but for the brilliant way that she lived her life. She was smart, sexy, classy, and most of all independent. She did what she wanted to do, and never let anyone make decisions for her. But there was one exception - Spencer Tracy - She lived FOR him, and gave herself totally to him, which she has made clear through the many thoughts she has expressed about him. And since she was an independent woman, I have great respect for that. She respected him, instead of trying to be his equal.

Living on Long Island, I go up to the beach on the Long Island Sound, and as I walk along the boardwalk looking across the Sound to Connecticut, many times I would think about Kate, and wonder what she was up to - perhaps she was out as well, standing outside of her house looking in my same direction, yet many miles away. Now as I look across I will remember her with the utmost fondness, as not only a great actress, but as one of the most admirable and cherished women of our time.