Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lococardinal

Classic Stars vs. Classic Movies

Admittedly while viewing the Feb. schedule, the usual nervousness arouse after seeing the fairly high volume of 'newer' classic movies (80's to 90's). However, I've viewed TCM for a number of years, and I trust the station to continue to set the standard of broadcasting the 'oldies'. I realize that some newer movies are considered classics, and they deserve their slot time as well. However, what I also found a bit dissapointing for the month of Feb. is the absence of the Friday night classic cult movies, and the classic serials. At least I didn't see anything that looked like they could be considered a cult movie, but I may be wrong. But I'm pretty sure I didn't see any serials listed.

The point of this thread is, even in the keeping of the movies old, I like to see the variety of different segments or genres of the classic movie genre itself. When the majority of the movies shown all night through the morning, consist of the big stars only, it tends to dampen the intrigue of the oldies. I don't know if I'm in the minority but when every movie stars either Cary Grant, Gary Cooper, Betty Davis, Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, etc., the fun of looking for the obscure is taken away. I admit, I'm more of a B-movie fan. If I see a movie listed, where I don't recognize the cast's names, I'm more drawn to see it. So even if I don't worry that TCM will become like the other classic cable channel, I worry that devoting time slots to other 'types' of classic movies that are not based as much around 'movie stars' will lose out from lack of popularity. For instance, even though I don't particularily like 'cult' movies, or even 'silent' movies, I'm okay with it because time is being taken to show a different aspect of movie history. I realize that something like a Friday night cult theme might be short-lived, but I hope that TCM does not shy away from experimental time slots devoted to showing the out of the norm. I personally would love to see a time slot dedicated to early sci-fi movies.

I hear what you're saying, and I would agree if it were about any other month, but February is Oscar month - the so-called tried and true BEST of the rest. I'm sure if there had been a category at any time during Oscars' run for best serial, or noir movie, TCM would have included it. As it is, they do costume design, photography, makeup, and musical score as well as acting and directing. The Academy itself has pared down its telecast by awarding the technical Oscars at various other ceremonies. The one thing I would like to see TCM do, maybe for next year, is a memorial as the Academy does instead of during January.

Have you noticed the lack of applause for older stars who pass away, because the audience doesn't know who the people are? You'll get a rousing audience reaction when a Jack Lemmon is announced, but it's nearly silent when an Ann Sothern is. This happened in 2001, because Ms Sothern has been away from the screen and TV for so long, the young Hollywood audience barely knew who she was. That mad me very sad.

Anne

JackBurley and mrsl: Thanks for your considerate posts.

I unfortunately did not see that other thread, but I appreciate the link. Although I'm a bit dismayed that I duplicated an already existing thread, I'm glad to see I'm thinking in the same ball park as some of the other TCM viewers. As far as Feb. being Oscar month, even though I favor the lesser known movies, Acadamy Award winning movies are a huge part of classic movie history so they deserve their place in the sun. I never really caught on to Feb. being the specific month for that, but it's good to know. And yes mrsl, I agree with you on how sad it is that great actors/actresses are often forgotten after the pass on.

I see what you're saying to a certain extent, but I think most TCM watchers are into watching for their favorite stars. I know it's a major factor of what I will watch : I look forward to seeing Bette Davis, Katharine Hepburn, Barbara Stanwyck, Bogey, John Wayne etc....... Don't know what your schedule is like, but I think TCM mainly plays the obscure titles you're talking about weekdays early morning to afternoon.