Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This great acting couple, mostly in supporting musical roles on Broadway, made a few movies and appeared on television. They both won Tony Awards. She originated two particularly famous musical theater characters on stage, but did not play them on film.  Their resumes read like a history of the Broadway musical.

51 minutes ago, Swithin said:

This great acting couple, mostly in supporting musical roles on Broadway, made a few movies and appeared on television. They both won Tony Awards. She originated two particularly famous musical theater characters on stage, but did not play them on film.  Their resumes read like a history of the Broadway musical.

Chita Rivera played Anita in" West Side Story" and Rosie in "Bye Bye Birdie" on Broadway.

Her husband, Tony Mordente, had original roles in "'Lil Abner" and "West Side Story" on Broadway.

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Chita Rivera played Anita in" West Side Story" and Rosie in "Bye Bye Birdie" on Broadway.

Her husband, Tony Mordente, had original roles in "'Lil Abner" and "West Side Story" on Broadway.

Very good guess, but I'm afraid not.  The wife I'm thinking of began her career in Ballet Theater (later called ABT).  Her ballet training enabled her to be "so much more demurer" than two of her fellow actors in a very famous musical number. She and her husband won Tonys for Best Featured Actor/Actress in a Musical. At the time of the husband's death, he was one of the last living members of the original cast of R&H's first collaboration. He also appeared in one of my favorite musicals (in which he had a good song), which was made into NOT one of my favorite Marilyn Monroe films, where they butchered the score.

(Btw, I wouldn't have referred to Ms. Rivera as a supporting actor, although she played supporting roles. Her two Tonys were for lead actress in a musical.)

They're not exactly household names, but I believe it's George S. Irving and his wife Maria Karnilova.  She was a dancer classically trained in ballet who danced and acted in many musicals.  He was in "Oklahoma" in 1943 and later in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" on Broadway.  They were both in "Call Me Mister", which may have been where they met.   He died in 2016, some four years after Celeste Holm, who was the original Ado Annie in "Oklahoma".  Some may remember George from an episode of "All In The Family".  He played Russ DeKuyper, a plumbing contractor who was married to Edith's cousin, Amelia.  Archie wanted him to look at his toilet, but Russ responded with "Arch, I don't do field work anymore".

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, MilesArcher said:

They're not exactly household names, but I believe it's George S. Irving and his wife Maria Karnilova.  She was a dancer classically trained in ballet who danced and acted in many musicals.  He was in "Oklahoma" in 1943 and later in "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" on Broadway.  They were both in "Call Me Mister", which may have been where they met.   He died in 2016, some four years after Celeste Holm, who was the original Ado Annie in "Oklahoma".  Some may remember George from an episode of "All In The Family".  He played Russ DeKuyper, a plumbing contractor who was married to Edith's cousin, Amelia.  Archie wanted him to look at his toilet, but Russ responded with "Arch, I don't do field work anymore".

That's the couple, Miles.  Her two most famous Broadway musical roles were Tessie Tura in Gypsy and Golde in Fiddler on the Roof (her Tony). George's Tony was for Irene (1973), but he had a long career on Broadway before then.  He was in Two's Company (also with Ms. Karnilova), which was the one musical in which Bette Davis was the star. (Ms. Davis and Jerome Robbins did not get along).

I worked with George, lovely man. And the thread is yours, Miles.

Thanks, Swithin.   Let's see who knows this couple.  They weren't married to each other very long.  They both had been married previously and he had three daughters who became actresses.  He was a director of movies and TV shows from the fifties until the early eighties.  She had been an artist's model as a teen and later became a dancer in movies, first in small parts in the late 1930's and later in major musicals throughout the 1950's.  In her later years she turned to non-musical, straight dramatic roles.  The marriage ended tragically when he was killed exiting a helicopter during location shooting for a mini-series.  He turned the wrong way and was hit by the tail rotor.

Do you know them?

14 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Swithin.   Let's see who knows this couple.  They weren't married to each other very long.  They both had been married previously and he had three daughters who became actresses.  He was a director of movies and TV shows from the fifties until the early eighties.  She had been an artist's model as a teen and later became a dancer in movies, first in small parts in the late 1930's and later in major musicals throughout the 1950's.  In her later years she turned to non-musical, straight dramatic roles.  The marriage ended tragically when he was killed exiting a helicopter during location shooting for a mini-series.  He turned the wrong way and was hit by the tail rotor.

Do you know them?

Boris Sagal and Marge Champion ?? Boris directed The Omega Man, the Charlton Heston film, the mini-series Massada and a ton of tv shows. Marge is still alive and turned 100 a few weeks ago!

Yes, Lavender, although I think that Marge is actually 101.  As a teen, she was an artist's model for Disney's Snow White and later for the Blue Fairy in "Pinocchio".   Of course, she was married to Gower Champion for many years and they were a popular dance team in movies in the fifties.  Boris Sagal was the father of Katey Sagal from "Married With Children" as well as twins Jean and Liz Sagal , who starred in the TV series "Double Trouble" in the eighties.  They also appeared in some Doublemint Gum commercials.  Boris was on location in Oregon shooting a mini-series called "World War III" when he had that tragic accident.   Boris and Marge had only been married for about four years at that time.

Good work, Lavender.  Now you get to go next.

Thanks Miles :)

He was an actor, singer and producer. He covered most genres, musicals, dramas, comedies, crime films, westerns. He had 3 mariages, 2 were to 2 actresses.

His first mariage was to an actress. She began her film career as a child in the 1920's. she became a teen star and was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for a 1930's film.

His second mariage was to another actress, singer. Most times she played the 2nd lead in films and was known for musicals.

Actor and this time around, the 2 actresses that he married ???

This couple worked extensively on Broadway, where the husband won a Best Actor in a Drama Tony Award. He made several films and appeared often on television, where he won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor for a Single Appearance in a Drama or Comedy Series. She made several films and television appearances as well. Her concluding film role, as a nun, was in a movie based on a Broadway play directed by her son, a prolific theater director (though she wasn't in the play, and he didn't direct the movie.)

He (the husband) had a memorable (and brutal) scene in an Academy Award-winning film.

Who is this couple?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/30/2020 at 2:23 PM, Swithin said:

This couple worked extensively on Broadway, where the husband won a Best Actor in a Drama Tony Award. He made several films and appeared often on television, where he won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor for a Single Appearance in a Drama or Comedy Series. She made several films and television appearances as well. Her concluding film role, as a nun, was in a movie based on a Broadway play directed by her son, a prolific theater director (though she wasn't in the play, and he didn't direct the movie.)

He (the husband) had a memorable (and brutal) scene in an Academy Award-winning film.

Who is this couple?

The husband's Tony Award was for Best Actor in a Drama, for a play that was set in Ireland. His Emmy was for a late 1970s show which was the third spinoff of a show that began in the early 1970s. The brutal scene I referred to was for small part in an Oscar-winning film that was controversial for its time. The film won the Best Picture Oscar; two actors in the film were nominated for Best Actor.

On 9/30/2020 at 1:23 PM, Swithin said:

Who is this couple?

Barnard Hughes and

Helen Stenborg

Just came on the bds. and thought the same. The controversal film was the clue, immediately thought of Midnight Cowboy an unforgettable performance by Barnard Hughes. The film and the Broadway play was Doubt. the play directed by their son, Doug Hughes and Helen Stenborg played a nun in the film

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Barnard Hughes and

Helen Stenborg

That's right Princess. Lovely people, I worked with them on several occasions.

actor-bernard-hughes-and-wife-actress-he

Your turn.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And this couple is still with us, though currently divorced from each other.

She was a child actress in the 50s who became a much sought after TV and movie Starlet of the 60's.

Then she to evolved into a serious actress in the 70's with an Oscar nomination.

He is simply one of the most talented and revered classical music artists of Our Generation.

Hint: Everyone has seen her in a popular classic sitcom, which still aires on nostalgia channels.

When you identify this couple, please give us the Academy Award nominated film for the wife and the instrument played by the husband.

9 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

And this couple is still with us, though currently divorced from each other.

She was a child actress in the 50s who became a much sought after TV and movie Starlet of the 60's.

Then she to evolved into a serious actress in the 70's with an Oscar nomination.

He is simply one of the most talented and revered classical music artists of Our Generation.

Hint: Everyone has seen her in a popular classic sitcom, which still aires on nostalgia channels.

When you identify this couple, please give us the Academy Award nominated film for the wife and the instrument played by the husband.

Sounds to me like it's beautiful Tuesday Weld, nominated for Looking For Mr. Goodbar, of course we all remember Thalia, Dobie's love on Dobie Gillis.

The great Pinchas Zuckerman and his violin and he calls it "his fiddle" ????

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Sounds to me like it's beautiful Tuesday Weld, nominated for Looking For Mr. Goodbar, of course we all remember Thalia, Dobie's love on Dobie Gillis.

The great Pinchas Zuckerman and his violin and he calls it "his fiddle" ????

Lav-- It's great to see another classical music enthusiast on board here!

I always thought this was an Odd Couple.

Well done, your turn.....

Thanks, Princess

next one

This is a two'fer. She was an actress usually typecast in westerns. she was married 4 times, twice to actors.

Her first husband was a singer/actor who also was married many times. Besides this actress, he married 3 other actresses and 2 other woman who were not actresses.

One of her husbands,was an Oscar nominated actor in an Oscar winning film. 

Actress and the 2 actors she married ??? ( extra for naming films for each of the 3)

I believe the actress is Joanne Dru.  She was once married to singer/actor Dick Haymes.  He appeared in several musicals including "Four Jills In A Jeep" and "The Shocking Miss Pilgrim".  She was also married at one time to actor John Ireland.  He was Oscar nominated for "All The King's Men".  He was also in a couple of movies with Joanne, including "Red River" and "Vengeance Valley".   Besides those two westerns, she is also remembered for "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" with John Wayne.

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (RKO, 1949). Half Sheet (22" X 28") Style | Lot  #87074 | Heritage Auctions  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

I believe the actress is Joanne Dru.  She was once married to singer/actor Dick Haymes.  He appeared in several musicals including "Four Jills In A Jeep" and "The Shocking Miss Pilgrim".  She was also married at one time to actor John Ireland.  He was Oscar nominated for "All The King's Men".  He was also in a couple of movies with Joanne, including "Red River" and "Vengeance Valley".   Besides those two westerns, she is also remembered for "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" with John Wayne.

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (RKO, 1949). Half Sheet (22" X 28") Style | Lot  #87074 | Heritage Auctions  

All correct Miles, Joanne Dru was married to Dick Hyames for 8 years, they had 3 children together. Dru and Haymes divorced.,  2 months after the divorce from Haymes she married  John Ireland. Joanne Dru and John Ireland were also married for 8 years before divorcing. Good work Miles, your thread :) 

Thanks, Lavender.  Joanne Dru was also the sister of "Hollywood  Squares" host Peter Marshall.

Now, most everyone here should be familiar with this next couple.  She was a bit older than he.  She started her singing career with bands, but before long she was appearing often on Steve Allen's shows.  He was also a young singer who met her on Steve Allen's show and their chemistry was such that they were assigned to sing duets.  They eventually married  and had long careers as singers, both solo and together.  They often toured together and were a staple of Las Vegas, as well as TV variety shows.  Her biggest selling solo record was a Latin-crossover song.  She did a little acting on television, but mainly in very small roles.  He acted on Broadway and in several movies, both comedies and dramas, as well as some TV shows.   She was considered for the role of Fanny Brice in "Funny Girl" on Broadway, but she turned it down when her husband was not given the role of Nick Arnstein.  Of course, Barbra Streisand got the part.   Can you name this well known pair?   

3 hours ago, MilesArcher said:

Thanks, Lavender.  Joanne Dru was also the sister of "Hollywood  Squares" host Peter Marshall.

Now, most everyone here should be familiar with this next couple.  She was a bit older than he.  She started her singing career with bands, but before long she was appearing often on Steve Allen's shows.  He was also a young singer who met her on Steve Allen's show and their chemistry was such that they were assigned to sing duets.  They eventually married  and had long careers as singers, both solo and together.  They often toured together and were a staple of Las Vegas, as well as TV variety shows.  Her biggest selling solo record was a Latin-crossover song.  She did a little acting on television, but mainly in very small roles.  He acted on Broadway and in several movies, both comedies and dramas, as well as some TV shows.   She was considered for the role of Fanny Brice in "Funny Girl" on Broadway, but she turned it down when her husband was not given the role of Nick Arnstein.  Of course, Barbra Streisand got the part.   Can you name this well known pair?   

One of my happiest memories was seeing the two of them in concert in Kansas City. Much to my surprise Steve Lawrence was an unbelievable stand-up comic, as well as a singer that you have no idea how good he is until you hear him live.

Eydie Gorme' was my mother's favorite TV pop singer--

She never missed them on the Steve Allen "Tonight Show".

I love Steve and Eydie!:D

That was kind of an easy one for you, Princess.  Steve appeared on Broadway in "What Makes Sammy Run?".  Eydie's big hit record was "Blame It On The Bossa Nova".  Eydie passed away in 2013, but Steve is still with us.

Steve & Eydie Biography 

Very good Princess.  Now you're up next.

• Thanks 1